PDA

View Full Version : ram help g5

Anarchy99
Dec 25, 2004, 11:58 AM
im planning on getting a g5 for school and stuff soon probably for the begining of next semester and it is aready streching the budget then i heard that you can only install ram in pairs well since the dual 1.8n only has 4 slots i have to go big with ram or il end up throwing out ram for the next upgrade
then one of my friends gave me a christmas present 1 512mb ram pc2100
i was all excited until i realized the g5 needs pc3200 well could i use it in a g5 someway or what should i do with it(it is not returnable)

varmit
Dec 25, 2004, 12:57 PM
im planning on getting a g5 for school and stuff soon probably for the begining of next semester and it is aready streching the budget then i heard that you can only install ram in pairs well since the dual 1.8n only has 4 slots i have to go big with ram or il end up throwing out ram for the next upgrade
then one of my friends gave me a christmas present 1 512mb ram pc2100
i was all excited until i realized the g5 needs pc3200 well could i use it in a g5 someway or what should i do with it(it is not returnable)

How is it not refundable? Where did he get it from. I would suggest www.crucial.com for your RAM needs. If not returnable, try and sell it to a friend that could use it for a discounted price. And explain to the friend that gave it to you, that you appreciated the gift, but it was the wrong type so you had to get rid of it.

G5support.com
Dec 25, 2004, 03:50 PM
PowerMac G5s are real fussy with RAM and need to be installed in pairs. I also suggest Crucial.com for RAM.

Anarchy99
Dec 25, 2004, 04:20 PM
to answer the question how is the stick of pc2100 ddr not refundable
well it is a piece of crucial ram but my friend bought it at a specialty pc shop when he went on a trip and at this specialty pc shop there are no refunds :(
if there are no real solutions il try to resell it to a friend

i have one question and i know its wrong but anyways because it is crucial ram even if i wanted to use it i would need a 2nd chip right
well couldn't i buy one pc3200 chip from crucial lie and say they sent me the wrong type and it is incompatible with my g5 then send them my crucial pc2100
and get them to exchange it for a pc3200 chip so then i have 2

Sun Baked
Dec 25, 2004, 04:26 PM
well couldn't i buy one pc3200 chip from crucial lie and say they sent me the wrong type and it is incompatible with my g5 then send them my crucial pc2100 and get them to exchange it for a pc3200 chip so then i have 2Prepare for the public flogging... ;)

Anarchy99
Dec 25, 2004, 04:39 PM
Prepare for the public flogging... ;)
yep its a web forum im always prepared for a public flogging
but it was a honest question and im sure people have or have wanted to do the same sorta thing
so please try to hold in the flaming and such cause if you dont do it someone else will so why bother
real answers are appreciated :)

Sun Baked
Dec 25, 2004, 04:48 PM
If you are a person of low moral fiber, I'm quite sure you could attempt to defraud Crucial out of a memory upgrade and feel absolutely no quilt about it.

Of course you'll need another person of low moral fiber to teach you the process to accomplish this feat you want to try.

Anarchy99
Dec 25, 2004, 05:57 PM
If you are a person of low moral fiber, I'm quite sure you could attempt to defraud Crucial out of a memory upgrade and feel absolutely no quilt about it.

Of course you'll need another person of low moral fiber to teach you the process to accomplish this feat you want to try.
ok then requesting another person of low moral fiber to teach me the process to accomplish this feat
then depending on what id have to do i will decide if il do it or not

Anarchy99
Dec 30, 2004, 07:14 PM
OK NEW QUESTION :)

if i was to resell this piece of ram how much money should i expect to get?

beatle888
Dec 30, 2004, 07:57 PM

:rolleyes:

beatle888
Dec 30, 2004, 08:19 PM
ok then requesting another person of low moral fiber to teach me the process to accomplish this feat
then depending on what id have to do i will decide if il do it or not

dont worry about him.

i would rather surround myself with people that would do the occasional and harmless questionable act than someone who judges others and separates themselves from reality by looking down a long nose. to me that does more harm.

Sun Baked
Dec 30, 2004, 08:37 PM
dont worry about him.

i would rather surround myself with people that would do the occasional and harmless questionable act than someone who judges others and separates themselves from reality by looking down a long nose. to me that does more harm.Be my guest, please teach him how to steal memory from Crucial or how to shoplift a memory upgrade from CompUSA.

Since you feel it's OK to do these things.

Edit: he asked for your help, and it's strange that nobody has come forward to teach him yet. You can be that angel of opportunity he craves.

---

If you want to sell the DIMM and put that towards new memory, there is a Marketplace available here... just sell it to a bud, or unload it here.