Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Relentlos

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
I'm not sure where to ask this, or if it's even possible for me.

I've been making custom home pages for a while, but they've been pretty flat and boring since I can't do fancy image editing or web design.

My latest idea was inspired by Safari's "Top Sites". I like the thumbnails with boarders clearly showing what site is what with captions and a reflection on the bottom. Unfortunately I can't just steal the HTML file for "Top Sites" and change the sites to whatever I want.

Instead, I've saved images of each website I would like to use, and would like to have a way to maybe have all of them in a sort of coverflow setup, or a big wheel that you can turn to see all the pictures on.

So, the questions are:

1.) Is that possible? (I'm sure it is, but that's where the second question comes in).

2.) What would be required to do such a thing?

3.) Bonus question: I checked around but didn't see anything in favor of this: Is there a way to take the "top Sites" code and change it to reflect only the sites you want so they stay static?

NikMac

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2008
Canada
1) I've never tried such a thing, but I'm sure it can be done.

2)At the very least it would require some javascript, I think.

3)All I can think is something with iFrames? I assume you want the websites to "update" as they do in Top Sites.

Try looking on Google for something along the lines of "Javascript image effects" ... are you looking for something like this? http://imageflow.finnrudolph.de/

Relentlos

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
I like those coverflow effects the best. I don't think the accordion would work well considering it will be website thumbnails, not banners that can overlap eachother.

I noticed iWeb had a "Photos" template where I could place them, and add titles to the bottom, however I could not turn it into a URL which is an issue. If I were to use that coverflow code, would I be able to have each image link to the site they display?

As for the thumbnails updating on their own like "top sites", it would be nice, but It's not a requirement. I plan to use the custom home pages on Win7/Ubuntu aswell (in firefox).

Relentlos

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Some of this stuff seems a little over my head. I'll just make a grid in iWeb, then edit the HTML file to change the images into links. I won't have a lot per page since I plan to separate some into different categories and have them on different pages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.