Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
That's about the only way to do it, just drag to trash, then empty the trash.

dont do that. there are very particular permissions so i dont think you can trash it at all. if you can it would take forever to delete.

either format your external drive or delete using Terminal with root permissions if you know how to do it.

talkindrum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
dont do that. there are very particular permissions so i dont think you can trash it at all. if you can it would take forever to delete.

either format your external drive or delete using Terminal with root permissions if you know how to do it.
no i dont know how to do that, what i will have to do then is clean off all the
other data to another drive and then reformat. i was trying to keep the data
on there and get rid of the old backup stuff, i plan to use a new drive for
timemachine and it will start a whole new backup.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
your other option would be to delete the backups from within time machine itself. looks like you can delete a whole volume at one time. don't know how long it would take, however.

talkindrum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
your other option would be to delete the backups from within time machine itself. looks like you can delete a whole volume at one time. don't know how long it would take, however.

i am about to get a new 1TB ext. HD, do i need to partition it or can i just use it as one large drive? i will be using timemachine , also it needs to be
formated as mac extended right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.