Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aylar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2004
I'm stopping in the US, for a few days, on my way back to Australia next month and I'm planning on picking up a 2.5GHz Power Mac. The plan is then to bring it with me as part of my luggage... I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to just ship it in the original packaging, put the box in a piece of luggage or take it out of he box and put it in the luggage.
Anyone on the forums done a similar thing? Well, in any case I at least need to know the dimensions of the original packaging.

Thanks in advance :)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Shipping and insuring it would be the safest bet, otherwise it might take forever for you to recover from the airlines for any missing or damaged equipment (plus there is the question of whether it'll be covered by the airlines insurance or cost extra for a supplemental insurance rider.)

It's too big for carry on anyways, and will likely become a target for damage and theft when placed underneath (which will cost you money anyway.)

Best to check out the airlines fine print for lost/damaged luggage before sticking it underneath.

Aylar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2004
Sun Baked said:
Shipping and insuring it would be the safest bet, otherwise it might take forever for you to recover from the airlines for any missing or damaged equipment (plus there is the question of whether it'll be covered by the airlines insurance or cost extra for a supplemental insurance rider.)

It's too big for carry on anyways, and will likely become a target for damage and theft when placed underneath (which will cost you money anyway.)

Best to check out the airlines fine print for lost/damaged luggage before sticking it underneath.
Yeah, I will of course have to send it as checked baggage (underneath as you call it), but it won't cost me extra, as it falls under normal oversize baggage. What I need are the dimensions of the box so I can determine if I can get some piece of luggage that I can place the box inside (to protect against some damage etc.)...

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
Aylar said:
What I need are the dimensions of the box so I can determine if I can get some piece of luggage that I can place the box inside (to protect against some damage etc.)...

600mm x 600mm x 400mm.
check the weight. it's heavy. could be excess baggage charges.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Well they do a general scan of checked baggage anyway, if I'm not mistaken. When they find a single suitcase with a large electrical device inside of it, someone's bound to go ape on you.

I would just put it into your luggage without your case, and maybe put a bunch of pillows in between the spaces for protection.

Floop

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
You do realise that your purchase will not be covered by warranty in Australia, so if it goes wrong, you are screwed and will have to pay for any repairs yourself.

Apple's portable products - PowerBook, iBook and iPod - have worldwide warranties, but all other warranties are country specific, so if you bought a PowerMac in the USA then the warranty would only be valid there.

Just thought I should mention this in case you hadn't thought about it.

Aylar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2004
Floop said:
You do realise that your purchase will not be covered by warranty in Australia, so if it goes wrong, you are screwed and will have to pay for any repairs yourself.

Apple's portable products - PowerBook, iBook and iPod - have worldwide warranties, but all other warranties are country specific, so if you bought a PowerMac in the USA then the warranty would only be valid there.

Just thought I should mention this in case you hadn't thought about it.

Thanks for mentioning this, but giving the insane price difference (~$1500 USD), I doubt any potential repair in the next year or so will exceed that :)
What is the case if I purchase APP in Australia once I get the machine there? I mean, if I pay them extra doug, the warranty must be extended to cover me?

V.A.Toss

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Also interested in this

Im also interested in this.

My question is what happens when you go through customs? Do they charge you anything? Will they find out? Do they even care?
Whats the deal with import tax or duty?
Also, if you were to post it instead of taking it onto the plane with you, will customs still notice it?

cheers for any help at all

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
Aylar said:
What is the case if I purchase APP in Australia once I get the machine there? I mean, if I pay them extra doug, the warranty must be extended to cover me?

got a second media100 (1997 or 98). forget the situation exactly......media100 wouldn't run on the new model mac and no old model macs left in au. media100 sent u.s. model older macs to the dealer in au.
the dealer said they would cover any warranty. to amuse myself i tried to register the mac with apple au. they replied, 'the computer does not exist'.
as far as they were concerned it didn't exist so there was no warranty. check the situation before you hand over any $$$ for extended warranty.

Floop

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
An Apple Retail Store employee in the USA advised me that I should not purchase Apple Care Protection Plan in the USA for a laptop I had purchased there but which I would mainly be using in the UK.

However, I believe you are entitled to buy Apple Care Protection plan in your home country for a machine purchased anywhere, and it will be valid in your home country, but I am still not 100% sure on this... it may only be true for portable products and not desktops, as Apple couch AppleCare as being an 'extension' to your standard warranty.

Regarding customs, I can only speak from my own knowledge which is regarding importing such an item into the UK, although I expect it is similar for people based in other countries, especially Commonwealth countries like Australia.

If I buy a Mac in the USA, then theoretically when I enter the UK I am obliged to pay:

- Import Tax of 3.5%
- Value Added Tax (VAT) of 17.5% on the new total
- An administration fee levied by customs and excise for their role in collecting the tax

Obviously, if one manages to get through customs without them being aware that you have a nice new computer in your suitcase, then you are laughing all the way to the bank, although some highly moral people might suggest you are defrauding honest taxpayers from their rightful share of the tax you should have paid... but that argument has never convinced me :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.