Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exe163

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2010
Right now I am using dictionary.com free app, just because it's free. I want something that work similar to the dictionary for Mac, which I believe is based on the Oxford American Dictionary and Thesaurus. There are a lot of dictionary based on Oxford and I don't know which one to pick, not to add that they are expensive in most cases.

Any recommendation? I have used the Audio Concise version on my friend's iphone, pretty decent but I still see a lot room for improvement, and it's $30.

ikaveh

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2008
here
Right now I am using dictionary.com free app, just because it's free. I want something that work similar to the dictionary for Mac, which I believe is based on the Oxford American Dictionary and Thesaurus. There are a lot of dictionary based on Oxford and I don't know which one to pick, not to add that they are expensive in most cases.

Any recommendation? I have used the Audio Concise version on my friend's iphone, pretty decent but I still see a lot room for improvement, and it's $30.

i guess longman dictionary of contemprorary english is the best

logitechFan

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
I have Longman Contemporary English dictionary too, and it's great. But having said that these days for some reason I use dictionary.com app.

Whatever happens, don't buy Concise Oxford English Dictionary!

jim.lynch

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
I have the Concise Oxford English Dictionary and like it very much.

Do you mean best app or best dictionary. Or cheapest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.