Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hungarianguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2004
is it possible to add the blue tooth option to imac after i made a purchase? is it some option i can buy and plug in later?

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
IF it's anything like the G5 towers, it's possible, but more expensive and difficult to get the parts and install them.

So if you do not have the machine and bluetooth is something you want, get it BTO.

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
I'm assuming you mean an internal bluetooth module (you can add a USB bluetooth module for an external option). As for the internal, you'll have to call Apple about that. I think the module inserts into a little slot or something on the inside so you may be able to buy one from Apple as a "replacement part" but because it is not a "User installable part", you might have to have an authorized Apple technician install the part. If you do it yourself, you may void your warranty. If I were you, get the USB bluetooth module. It'll be cheaper and you won't have to make a hundred phone calls to Apple.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
i believe the bluetooth module is soldered onto the motherboard, and that there are two different imac motherboards: one with bluetooth and one without. i don't know how this applies to other systems

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Basically you can't install bluetooth on the iMac G5. If you want bluetooth you have to order it as a custom option of sacrifice a USB port to a bluetooth dongle. That's what I've done with my G5 and it works perfectly.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I compared my imac w/o bluetooth and friends with it (under the I/O ports). It looks like the modual just screws onto the motherboard. I believe that technically it is possible to add the internal modual if you can get your hands on it, but its a big no-no for your warranty.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
daveway00 said:
I compared my imac w/o bluetooth and friends with it (under the I/O ports). It looks like the modual just screws onto the motherboard. I believe that technically it is possible to add the internal modual if you can get your hands on it, but its a big no-no for your warranty.

So it's like the G5 towers. You'll pay twice as much to buy the Apple part. As far as warranty goes, you could always pull the thing out if you ever need to send it back. But Apple is being alot more flexible with the iMacs. Why would they be OK with a HD or DVD replacement and not a BT module add-on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.