Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oats

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
New York
I was waiting to upgrade from a 2G ipod touch till the ipod touch got a camera like the iPhone. I thought the iPod 4G looked perfect on paper: retina display, front and back cameras, new iOS... unfortunately, I have been disappointed after using now for a while.

The main reasons I am disappointed are driven by design tradeoffs/compromises that Apple made so that the iPod would be much thinner than the new iPhone.

Let me count the ways:
1) Too thin -- actually not as comfortable to hold. The iPhone is plenty thin and small.
2) Volume rocker / power switches are on the beveled edge of the device, making it much harder to press compared to previous generations. Who would think this is an improvement?
3) Rear camera is way inferior to the iPhone, and most other cell phones. HD video is a nice feature, but low-light quality is very poor. Less than 1MP for still photos is sub-par.
4) Styling. Personal preference of course, but I think the new iPhone looks awesome with the flat front, back, and sides. Did I mention more comfortable to hold?
5) Ear buds don't include the pause/volume control. This should really be standard when you don't otherwise have physical buttons for these.

I know others have mentioned these things, I'm not saying the iPod touch is terrible, but I wonder how many people would have rather be using an iPhone without the phone.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
did you want all these things at the same price point?

anyway, there has to be some differences between the family members.

Oats

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
New York
did you want all these things at the same price point?
I could be wrong, but I don't think most of the things I mentioned would cost significantly more. It seems like most of these decisions were driven by an insatiable desire for thinness.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
some of the cosmetic things maybe, but the retina display, camera and mic are hard costs. also, it's rumored that the actual production of the iP4 is difficult and more expensive that that of the touch because of it's design.

supermassive

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
What you want is an iPhone, why complaining about iPt then?

Even if you can't imagine there are people who prefer the thinness and the design of the iPt. It's not an iPhone and it's just good as it is!

Brradley

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I don't understand why everyone compares iPhone vs iPod touch, when the iPhone costs 100's of $/£ more than the iPod touch.

If you want an iPhone and it's features, buy an iPhone. If you don't buy an iPod touch.

I was going to get the 3rd gen before September, but I thought, what's the point? Apple will release a new after, so I'll wait. I waited, and I will be buying the 4th gen. You can't complain about the inferior camera as a minus, when the previous generation didn't have a camera to compare to. Same with retina display.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
I am dissapointed too. Not because it's a bad iPod - it's good (for someone who never owned an iPod before), but because of the inferior features and some design faults. I predict this is going to be the worst iPod touch in terms of sales. Maybe that's good, so Apple will learn a lesson.

Here is my list of things I hate in new iPod touch
- rear camera being a joke, it's not even compared to worst cell cameras on the market, and it feels like 1995 not 2010.
- bad design, it's just to thin, less comfortable than previous gens + there are mass reports about light leak
- poor batterry life + it heats much more and quicker than previous gens
- not so much improvement in performance (underclocked A4 chip, still just 256mb of ram)
- retina resolution screen, but poor picture quality (terrible blacks and viewing angles)
- going back to old remoteless headphones from 2gen is a joke

+ not that big of a deal, but they took away a dock adapter. It's funny cause Apple each year is taking something away from the package - last year it was a cleaning cloth, this year it's dock adapter and mic/remote from headphones. I wonder what they gonna take away next year? Maybe iPod touch itself? lol :D

That's about it.... I'm skipping to 5th gen, which I hope gonna be A REAL improvemnt over 3rd gen.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
how can all these features be negatives when they were never available before? are we saying that no camera is better than bad camera? is the lesser retina worse than the previous standard display? is the faster processor worse than the slower one? i don't get it. it's not like they raised the price or anything.

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I am dissapointed too. Not because it's a bad iPod - it's good (for someone who never owned an iPod before), but because of the inferior features and some design faults. I predict this is going to be the worst iPod touch in terms of sales. Maybe that's good, so Apple learn a lesson.

Here is my list of things I hate in new iPod touch
- rear camera being a joke, it's not even compared to worst cell cameras on the market, and it feels like 1995 not 2010.

No one had camera phones in 1995. The HD video is actually very good.

- bad design, it's just to thin, less comfortable than previous gens + there are mass reports about light leak

There are a few complaints on this forum about light leaks...and that's it.

Design appearance is purely subjective. I wish it was a piece of color epaper that I could keep in my wallet.

- poor batterry life + it heats much more and quicker than previous gens

Nonsense and/or meaningless.

- not so much improvement in performance (underclocked A4 chip, still just 256mb of ram)

- retina resolution screen, but poor picture quality (terrible blacks and viewing angles)

Nonsense and/or irrelevant. "Poor" picture quality? Really?

- going back to old remoteless headphones from 2gen is a joke

Buy some real headphones you like. Or use your old headphones. Whatever.

That's about it.... I'm skipping to 5 gen, which I hope gonna be A REAL improvemnt over 3rd gen.

Or you could just buy the iphone you actually want, instead of waiting in vain for the iphone to be delivered at a rock bottom price.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
are we saying that no camera is better than bad camera?
To me yes. I prefer a no camera, than a crappy camera, which I would probably never use, because of it's terrible quality. This 0,7mpix camera shouldn't be a part of 300$ device. It's just aint right.

is the lesser retina worse than the previous standard display? is the faster processor worse than the slower one?
Retina is a welcome feature, but the lack of improvemnt in actual picture quality is wrong. Everybody expected an overal great quality display, like the one in iPhone4. Processor is slightly faster than 3rd gen and underclocked from iPhone4 version. Plus, 256 of ram is not enough for retina resolution - let's not forget this new retina games requier additional power to run smoothly. There are already reports that games running natively on retina res (i.e. Real GT Racing), are slower on iPod touch 4g than on iPod touch 3rd gen running standard resolution. This is clearly blame for only 256 of ram in the new touch.

i don't get it. it's not like they raised the price or anything.
Thay raised the price of the cheapest 8gb model from 199$ to 229$. I remember last yeay Jobs saying 199$ is the magic price point for customers. Seems like he changed his mind this year :)

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
you're forgetting about the video capabilities altogether if you discount the camera. the 8GB got a bump probably because it was 2 steps up in generation. remember, there was no 3G 8GB model. the retina display and processor are better, regardless of how they compare to the iphone. the RAM issue you claim has some merit, but is outweighed by everything else. and no one has yet to justify how they will get all the "true" features of the iphone without paying the iphone price.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
There are a few complaints on this forum about light leaks...and that's it.
Are you kidding me? You don't read macrumors forum then :) It's actually opposite - there are only a few lucky ppl who got a non-light leak device. Everyone else reports light leak in their iPod touches 4gen.

Nonsense and/or irrelevant.
LOL, these are no arguments, so I have nothing to respond.

Buy some real headphones you like. Or use your old headphones. Whatever.
Oh really that's all you have to say to excuse Apple? How about I would like the headphones from iPod touch 3rd gen package?

Or you could just buy the iphone you actually want, instead of waiting in vain for the iphone to be delivered at a rock bottom price.
No, I want an iPod touch and I'm not expecting it to be a 100% copy of an iPhone. I was expecting it to be a real improvemnt over 3rd gen touch. Unfortunetly Apple didn't deliver... Added features are only great and USEFUL, if they are of some minimum quality standard for the year 2010.

you're forgetting about the video capabilities altogether if you discount the camera. the 8GB got a bump probably because it was 2 steps up in generation. remember, there was no 3G 8GB model.
Yes, but Jobs said 199$ is a magic price point for iPod touch. Now we all see how big of a liar he is, saying things which suits his current mood.

the retina display and processor are better, regardless of how they compare to the iphone. the RAM issue you claim has some merit, but is outweighed by everything else.
You'll see how big of an issue it is going to be in the future when there are be more and more native retina resolution games in the appstore. But of course time will tell.

and no one has yet to justify how they will get all the "true" features of the iphone without paying the iphone price.
How come you write this argument? Don't you remember it wasn't the case with last gens iPod touch vs iPhones? True, touches were always inferior to iPhones, but never before as much as this year's touch is to iPhone 4. This is something I don't like, not the fact it's not a 100% iPhone copy, which I never expected it to be. iPod touch is just getting worse and worse to the iPhone. Now see the difference?

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Are you kidding me? You don't read macrumors forum then :) It's actually opposite - there are only a few lucky ppl who got a non-light leak device. Everyone else reports light leak in their iPod touches 4gen.

Yeah, forums are lousy places to actually assess things like actual defect rates. It's completely non-scientific and meaningless.

LOL, these are no arguments, so I have nothing to respond.

That's okay, because you had no evidence on your side other than unsupported supposition, so I decided I would respond with as much effort as you put into it.

Oh really that's all you have to say to excuse Apple? How about I would like the headphones from iPod touch 3rd gen package?

Then go buy them? It's kind of funny that you care, because people complain so much about the stock earbuds anyway, I'm glad Apple didn't spend the money to bother with the remote anyway (that also had the microphone that was no longer needed).

No, I want an iPod touch and I'm not expecting it to be a 100% copy of an iPhone. I was expecting it to be a real improvemnt over 3rd gen touch. Added features are only great and USEFUL, if they are of some minimum quality standard for the year 2010.

No, you want something that doesn't exist. Good luck finding it.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
Yeah, forums are lousy places to actually assess things like actual defect rates. It's completely non-scientific and meaningless.
That's no proof either. There are many ppl complaining about light leak in the new touch, almost all of 4gen owners. What do you have? Nothing.

Then go buy them? It's kind of funny that you care, because people complain so much about the stock earbuds anyway, I'm glad Apple didn't spend the money to bother with the remote anyway (that also had the microphone that was no longer needed).
LOL, so you're actually happy that Apple ripped you off by putting headphones from 2008 iPod touch into a 2010 package. You like going back, instead of progress. That really amazas me :)

No, you want something that doesn't exist. Good luck finding it.
It will hopefully exist in the iPod touch 5gen incarnation.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
Ok, good for you, I take it as the lack of arguments on your side, and admitting I'm right. Thank you.

Abscissa

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
VA
some of the cosmetic things maybe, but the retina display, camera and mic are hard costs. also, it's rumored that the actual production of the iP4 is difficult and more expensive that that of the touch because of it's design.

That camera is like $9 and a mic isn't anything...

The Intruder

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
If apple made the ipod touch perfect like everybody wants it to be then there will be nothing to improve on for next years model, and everyone will be disappointed again.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Hey guys, help me out. I love oranges but I wish they were more like choo-choo trains. In comparison, the orange just comes up short:

1. Too orange
2. Too round
3. Too citrusy
4. Too much vitamin C
5. Can't ride it all day long... unless I cut a hole in the middle of it
6. Makes me go number 2

I'm not saying oranges aren't great, but I just wish they were more like choo-choo's.

Hey guys, help me out. I love oranges but I wish they were more like choo-choo trains. In comparison, the orange just comes up short:

1. Too orange
2. Too round
3. Too citrusy
4. Too much vitamin C
5. Can't ride it all day long... unless I cut a hole in the middle of it
6. Makes me go number 2

I'm not saying oranges aren't great, but I just wish they were more like choo-choo's.

Oranges have nothing to do with choo-choo trains! If you want a choo-choo train, you're just going to have to buy one. Here's a good one: http://www.disneystore.com/mickey-mouses-magic-choo-choo-train-set/mp/1253260/1000208+1000773/

I was waiting to upgrade from a 2G ipod touch till the ipod touch got a camera like the iPhone. I thought the iPod 4G looked perfect on paper: retina display, front and back cameras, new iOS... unfortunately, I have been disappointed after using now for a while.

The main reasons I am disappointed are driven by design tradeoffs/compromises that Apple made so that the iPod would be much thinner than the new iPhone.

Let me count the ways:
1) Too thin -- actually not as comfortable to hold. The iPhone is plenty thin and small.
2) Volume rocker / power switches are on the beveled edge of the device, making it much harder to press compared to previous generations. Who would think this is an improvement?
3) Rear camera is way inferior to the iPhone, and most other cell phones. HD video is a nice feature, but low-light quality is very poor. Less than 1MP for still photos is sub-par.
4) Styling. Personal preference of course, but I think the new iPhone looks awesome with the flat front, back, and sides. Did I mention more comfortable to hold?
5) Ear buds don't include the pause/volume control. This should really be standard when you don't otherwise have physical buttons for these.

I know others have mentioned these things, I'm not saying the iPod touch is terrible, but I wonder how many people would have rather be using an iPhone without the phone.

iPod Touch's have nothing to do with iPhones! If you want an iPhone, you're just going to have to buy one. Here's a good one: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=MTM3NDkwMzI

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
iPod Touch's have nothing to do with iPhones! If you want an iPhone, you're just going to have to buy one.
Wrong and a very cheap argument. I see Apple fanboys are using this argument quite often. Like I said before, touches were always inferior to iPhones, but never before as much as this year's touch is to iPhone 4. This is something I don't like, not the fact it's not a 100% iPhone copy, which I never expected it to be. In this years touch it's too much ripped off from iPhone4. Apple delivered inferior features in cheap parts and still want to make as much money, becasuse the price remained the same.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Wrong and a very cheap argument. I see Apple fanboys are using this argument quite often. Like I said before, touches were always inferior to iPhones, but never before as much as this year's touch is to iPhone 4. This is something I don't like, not the fact it's not a 100% iPhone copy, which I never expected it to be. In this years touch it's too much ripped off from iPhone4. Apple delivered inferior features in cheap parts and still want to make as much money, becasuse the price remained the same.

Err... The price remains the same as the previous iteration of iPt but now with dual camera, FaceTime and faster chip. So I don't get the "cheaper parts" argument.
Re. Pricing, compare iPt to its wannabe competitors - Zune HD, Sony Walkman NWZX1061FBLK, and compare functionality.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
Err... The price remains the same as the previous iteration of iPt but now with dual camera, FaceTime and faster chip. So I don't get the "cheaper parts" argument.
So you got added parts worth in production maybe 5$ and you're happy with that? Don't you think these parts are too inferior than they should be? Let's also not forget, production cost is lower each year, as prices of e.i flash memory are constantly decreasing. Yes we got faster chip, but not as fast as the iPhone4 (last years touch was the same), we also got 256 of ram (twice less than iPhone4 - last years touch was the same). I'm not counting crappy rear camera, as there's nothing to talk about it. Ultimately, the only worthy features we got is the face time front camera and bumped up screen resolution, but of decreased quality to iPhone4 (last years gen was the same LCD as in iPhone).

Still feeling not ripped off? Of course you could get better parts for 229$, 299$ and 399$ respectively and I'm not saying 100% copy parts of iPhone4, but it really doesn't take hillarious money to put a decent 3mpix camera into a 300$ device, for christ sake. Why so hard for you guys to admit it? All you 4gen owners are just justifying Apple's moves, seeking for pathetic excuses for too inferior parts, all of this just to make yourself not bad about touch 4gen purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.