Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pasipple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
I have slow DSL service with at most 1.15 Mbps.

Question....

The 8 GB buffer sounds great to me as far as renting (streaming) movies from iTunes. I'm very curious as to how the picture quality will be for me?

Anyone know the average size file for an iTunes HD movie. I have no problem with downloading a movie ahead of time...but if an HD movie is 20 GB then I will not be able to download an entire movie ahead of time.

Anyone downloaded an HD movie in its' entirety to the buffer?

Thanks...

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
I think HD is about 4.1 - 4.4 Mb/sec if I recall my calculation. So, figure that by the time of your content should be ballpark.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
4GBs per iTunes HD movie rental is probably typical.

Apple told Macworld that the new Apple TV has a large enough buffer to hold an entire HD rental and then some.

You should be fine, but don’t expect to be able to start watching the rentals within 20-30 seconds like those that are on a broadband connection (4 Mbps+).

pasipple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
4GBs per iTunes HD movie rental is probably typical.

Apple told Macworld that the new Apple TV has a large enough buffer to hold an entire HD rental and then some.

You should be fine, but don’t expect to be able to start watching the rentals within 20-30 seconds like those that are on a broadband connection (4 Mbps+).

No that's fine. If I can download the entire movie ahead of time and watch it in all its' glory I'm stoked!

Right now I watch Netflix streaming to my Panasonic VieraCast and the video quality is SD at best.

Loving the fact there is a buffer. Perfect!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.