PDA

View Full Version : ibook hinge strength?

mwdmeyer
Dec 26, 2004, 03:41 AM
I got a 12" ibook the other day and am very happy with it. I open and close the lid of the laptop a lot each day (to save power when not using it etc) and I was just wondering how strong the hinge on these things are. I've seen a few posts about powerbooks breaking but not ibooks.

I just don't want my ibook to break anytime soon. Is there a way I should open the screen to put less pressure on it?

It is my first mac (and laptop) so I really don't want to hurt it! :D

jackieonasses
Dec 26, 2004, 04:05 AM
I got a 12" ibook the other day and am very happy with it. I open and close the lid of the laptop a lot each day (to save power when not using it etc) and I was just wondering how strong the hinge on these things are. I've seen a few posts about powerbooks breaking but not ibooks.

I just don't want my ibook to break anytime soon. Is there a way I should open the screen to put less pressure on it?

It is my first mac (and laptop) so I really don't want to hurt it! :D Be Gentle, and it will last years. The iBook is really quite rugged. I have seen some that have lasted a loooong time, being thrown around and all. It will be fine.

KC9AIC
Dec 26, 2004, 06:06 AM
My sister has an iBook G3, and the wire going to the screen backlighting (which goes through the hinge) developed a problem, but the hinge was fine. Just be good to your iBook anyway.

maya
Dec 26, 2004, 02:22 PM
You don't really have to shut the lid closed, just put it to sleep via the Desktop option and let the screen stay open, the iBook uses very little energy as is, quite impressive IMHO. :)