Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HT Guy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
I just added the ATV2 as a media center pc, the brand is Apple and the product is Apple TV. I then constructed a new activity in the Wizard and the remote works great.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Of course it would work fine. Apple has been using the same IR codes ever since the iMac G5. The iPod Universal Dock, Apple TV (1 & 2), Macbooks, and any other Macs all work with the Apple Remote, either the white or the aluminum one.

HT Guy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I have only been using Apple products for about 3 years.

MaxBeagleton

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
Upstate NY
880 said it doesn't but is does

When I added my new :apple:TV, the Harmony set up app tells me my 880 won't control the "Media PC", but it works just fine, left, right, up, down, pause/play and menu.

NAHMME

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2011
Proper Harmony One setup

I just added the ATV2 as a media center pc, the brand is Apple and the product is Apple TV. I then constructed a new activity in the Wizard and the remote works great.

How did you setup the Harmony One? I can get the Harmony one to switch to the ATV2, but none of my commands are working. Help

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Make sure you add the buttons for the 10 second skip backwards and 30 second skip forward (commercial skip) to your Harmony Software.

Those features don't work all that well on the aluminum Apple TV remote because they don't use dedicated buttons. You have to press left twice or right twice on the Apple remote.

But when you assign them to dedicated buttons on the Harmony, it makes the Apple TV playback experience work better than a DVR. I use the up/down rocker at the top.

slockton

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2012
Quick follow-up question:

How do you add the 30 sec skip forward and the 10 second skip backwards? When I try this I can only skip forwards and backwards 5 minutes!

[It would be great if Logitech included an Apple TV 2 device with all the playback commands already mapped. It is such a popular product you wonder why after more than a year it hasn't been done already.]

Cheers,
S

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
How do you add the 30 sec skip forward and the 10 second skip backwards? When I try this I can only skip forwards and backwards 5 minutes!

I was unable to do the 30/10 second skips using the Apple TV setting from Logitech.

What I ended up doing instead was choosing a random other device to get all the buttons I wanted on my Harmony remote working (I selected Tivo Premiere from the logitech menu). Then I made sure in MyHarmony.com that all the buttons I wanted to use had something assigned to them (though it doesn't matter what that something is, as long as the button I want to use emits some infrared signal).

Finally, just use the built-in Apple TV Remote Learning feature (Settings --> General --> Remotes --> Learn Remote) and assign the buttons using your Harmony's Tivo Premiere device.

This method lets you assign the 30/10 second skip features to whatever button you want, and you don't need to mess with the outdated "Apple TV" setting in logitech's database.

slockton

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2012
What I ended up doing instead was choosing a random other device to get all the buttons I wanted on my Harmony remote working (I selected Tivo Premiere from the logitech menu)

This is what I have currently, too, and it works up to a point.

However, I would also like to pair the remote with the Apple TV 2 because I have a Mac Mini in the same room that I would also like to control with the harmony. Not being able to pair means that my Tivo/Apple TV harmony device also controls the Mac (and when using the Mac, the Apple TV is also responding) - meaning I have to turn off the IR on the Mac completely. Annoying.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
. . .Not being able to pair means that my Tivo/Apple TV harmony device also controls the Mac (and when using the Mac, the Apple TV is also responding) - meaning I have to turn off the IR on the Mac completely. Annoying.

Ah yes, I see that would be a problem.

Haven't tried it, but one thing you might consider is Remote Buddy for your mac. This will allow your mac mini to receive and process IR signals other than what the Apple Aluminum remote emits. Which means you could program YET ANOTHER device (a non-apple one) into your Harmony, have Remote Buddy on your mac mini recognize that non-apple device's IR signals, and since your ATV2 would not have learned this other non-apple device, it would ignore this other non-apple device's IR signals. You would be able to use the same Harmony remote to separately control the two devices (the learned Tivo device to control your ATV2, the other third-party device to control your Mac Mini using Remote Buddy).

Essentially, with this situation you no longer have ANY official Apple Remote signals being sent from your Harmony, so neither the ATV2 nor the Mac Mini will respond to these third party signals unless you teach them to. That's what you do with your ATV2 using the on-screen "learning" function, and that's what you'd do with your mac mini using Remote Buddy. And since you are using different IR signals for each device, you shouldn't have any problems with one button-press controlling both devices simultaneously.

http://www.iospirit.com/products/remotebuddy/hardware/

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010

[It would be great if Logitech included an Apple TV 2 device with all the playback commands already mapped. It is such a popular product you wonder why after more than a year it hasn't been done already.]

Cheers,
S

I can't remember exactly what I did but I do remember the buttons were somewhat mislabeled in Logitech's software. But they are definitely there and available to be assigned. You just need to assign them to specific buttons.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
This is what I have currently, too, and it works up to a point.

However, I would also like to pair the remote with the Apple TV 2 because I have a Mac Mini in the same room that I would also like to control with the harmony. Not being able to pair means that my Tivo/Apple TV harmony device also controls the Mac (and when using the Mac, the Apple TV is also responding) - meaning I have to turn off the IR on the Mac completely. Annoying.

pair a different remote with the mac,

pairing is more to do with the receiver (mac / :apple:tv) than the remote itself.
there are several unique IDs with the apple remote (either 128 or 256 total, i forget at the moment) every time you hit play it's really sending out that id and play, so play-103, left-103 and so on.
Pairing causes the receiver to ignore commands with a different ID than what it's expecting.
i believe when you hit the button combination on the remote to pair, it also changes the ID on the remote, so that way if you happened to get stuck with two 77s it wouldn't be a problem. since when you paired to the mac, remote 1 becomes 23 and remote 2 becomes 44. not sure if it does go randomly, but it would make more sense.

(this part is from memory and may be incorrect) the one small problem with harmony is that the default apple profile only includes one ID, so pairing with multiple devices is impossible.

BUT...
if your harmony has an IR receiver and will learn commands...
  1. Pair your existing apple remote with your mac.
  2. teach all the buttons on the apple remote to the harmony to control the mac.
  3. pair the apple remote with your AppleTV
  4. teach those buttons to the harmony for appleTV.
just make sure when you do the pair, only one device can see the remote.

Which means you could program YET ANOTHER device (a non-apple one) into your Harmony, have Remote Buddy on your mac mini recognize that non-apple device's IR signals
that won't work
remote buddy will only receive apple remote commands
think it has to do with the IR receiver on the Mac.

but you can set it up so it responds to multiple IDs, so you set up harmony to send play-28 for the 1 key, left-28 for the 2 key, and work your way through, you then have to keep all that straight in remote buddy when you do your key mapping.
check out http://miniharmony.blogspot.com for more detailed instructions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.