Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

123macman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
Does anyone know from experience what is the best FM transmitter to use in a car. Everyone i look at online has mixed reviews.

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
It's mixed reviews because its REALLY variable, most FM transmitters are similar it tends to be the area, you live in a big city with lots of FM stations you're going to have limited free FM bandwith to tune into, live out in ther sticks wiere there are only a few stations it will work like a dream!

Personally i choose griffin FM transmitters and used a variety of them i like them all!

123macman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
It's mixed reviews because its REALLY variable, most FM transmitters are similar it tends to be the area, you live in a big city with lots of FM stations you're going to have limited free FM bandwith to tune into, live out in ther sticks wiere there are only a few stations it will work like a dream!

Personally i choose griffin FM transmitters and used a variety of them i like them all!

Thanks

G42X500macguy

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
I'd recommend this...

I've also gone through a variety of FM Transmitters, and have settled on this: http://www.wholehousefmtransmitter.com/affiliate-referrals.php I have version 1.0 which is not as fully featured. There's an important "trick" you must follow: you can see a gain dial when placing the batteries in. Just crank it clockwise. You can find more detailed instructions with a search.

I mostly use it in my house now to broadcast satellite radio from one receiver (it's stereo - not all fm transmitters are.) It's impressive. I easily get signal about 1/4 mile away. I also have used it in rental trucks when moving (2 cross country moves in 1.5 years.) It's brilliant, I can recall only one "bleed through" in my travels (although it may have been the satellite reception itself.) Changing the host frequency is easy, but unnecessary.

The negatives: (a) it's costly. Probably twice as much as a griffin or other (b) It can create a rat's nest of wires if you use all the features (power wire to unit. wire in from ipod or sat radio, ipod power. There's more with sat radio as there's an antennae connection.) I generally tend to use it on battery power, and cannot remember the last time I replaced any.

I'd highly recommend it if you want the "premier solution" and have the money to spend. My experience is it works better than the other options, and the investment is worth it to me. Other options may meet your personal cost/benefit better, but you won't find a better unit than this one.

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010

You should also note nominations will be affected by factors such as the car (and receiver) in use, and the iPod model.

Generally, though; I agree with the sentiment that there's little to choose between; find one that fits nicely, ideally with software on the ipod for tuning, and uses the iPod for power rather than an extra battery.

For my 2nd gen Nano, I've got an xtrememac, which has a pass-through dock port, fits flush with the body, and has an external movable antenna.

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

I have a Griffin iTrip and I like it.

If you use a typical FM transmitter
1) It needs to be right next to the radio. On the car seat / dash doesn't work very well.
2) Assume in advance that it will take you awhile to find the best frequency for where you drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.