PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get sharing to work?

mdgolom
Sep 30, 2010, 06:59 PM
I hooked up my AppleTV 2 and set the user/password for home sharing. I then set up two macs (iMac and MacMini) with the same user/password. The AppleTV still won't see either iTunes library.

Anyone have suggestions?

Markusp
Sep 30, 2010, 07:04 PM
Same here:mad: just spent the last hour trying to configure things but no joy. Tried resetting both my Mac and apple tv2 but nothing works.

thetruth1985
Sep 30, 2010, 07:08 PM
I had the same problem What worked for me was installing 10.1, resetting my computer, turn off home sharing and then turning it back on.

dont24
Sep 30, 2010, 07:15 PM
That worked for me. Turned off sharing, then back on. Does iTunes need to be open on the Mac to stream to the Apple TV? This is my 1st one. I assumed only my iMac had to be on. Looks like iTunes needs to be open as well.

FreeState
Sep 30, 2010, 07:22 PM
That worked for me. Turned off sharing, then back on. Does iTunes need to be open on the Mac to stream to the Apple TV? This is my 1st one. I assumed only my iMac had to be on. Looks like iTunes needs to be open as well.

Yes iTunes must be open.

thetruth1985
Sep 30, 2010, 07:30 PM
You would think that at least on the macs, you could stream without iTunes being open. One of the cool features in windows 7 is the ability to stream live tv to the 360 without media center being open. Hopefully they update OSX one day for us lazy ones out here.

DeusInvictus7
Sep 30, 2010, 07:36 PM
Is it really that hard for people to have iTunes running but not open? I mean, just open iTunes and then close the window. Simple as that, that way it's not in your way if you're not using/ don't want to use it.

HT Guy
Sep 30, 2010, 08:33 PM
I had the same problem. I followed all the trouble-shooting advice and still no luck. Finally at 8:34 this evening I touched the Remote app and all my libraries and the ATV2 were there. No changes were made. They did not work one minute and the next minute they did work. I am hoping everything will continue to work because it is all kinds of awesome. BTW my iTunes window was always open.

mdgolom
Oct 1, 2010, 09:01 AM
I finally got it to work. I realized that itunes on the iMac was only 10.0 so I updated to 10.0.1, but still didn't work. I ended up turning off home sharing on the iMac then back on and the AppleTV started seeing the iMac. The MacMini hasn't been updated recently so I'm not sure what version of iTunes it's running.

cadillac1234
Oct 1, 2010, 10:01 AM
Think there maybe a homesharing bug. It worked for me the first time but after the Apple tv went to sleep I had to physically log out of iTunes, turn homesharing on and off and then it worked again

jclardy
Oct 1, 2010, 10:12 AM
I had to turn off home sharing then turn it back on while the Apple TV was awake. Seems a little buggy but hopefully Apple will update it.

I am just hoping that Apple implemented some sort of patching system for the Apple TV so that it can download updates over the air, and not have to remove it from my TV setup and bring it to a computer, find a mini (or micro?) usb cable to update...

WiiDSmoker
Oct 1, 2010, 10:39 AM
You have to be on the latest version of iTunes. Once that is installed, turn off Home SHaring. Reboot computer and then turn on.

Markusp
Oct 1, 2010, 01:57 PM
I finally got it to work. I realized that itunes on the iMac was only 10.0 so I updated to 10.0.1, but still didn't work. I ended up turning off home sharing on the iMac then back on and the AppleTV started seeing the iMac. The MacMini hasn't been updated recently so I'm not sure what version of iTunes it's running.

Same here. I just updated iTunes a couple of days ago and didn't realize there was a 10.0.1 out. Since upgrading, home sharing now works but is flaky. I have to restart iTunes after every couple of films as I get a message stating that content not available.

To be honest, I think I like my original Apple TV better, even though it is larger and lacks Netflix. I prefer the sync method over this home share business and the Apple TV2 doesn't seem any faster in loading / playing films so what is the point? I also hate that output resolution is locked at 720p!

HT Guy
Oct 1, 2010, 04:01 PM
Last night, home sharing started working suddenly. Today, homeshare is not working again. I think I may send this back. I did not sign up to be a beta tester. Maybe I will reorder it after they get the bugs worked out.

WiiDSmoker
Oct 1, 2010, 04:29 PM
Last night, home sharing started working suddenly. Today, homeshare is not working again. I think I may send this back. I did not sign up to be a beta tester. Maybe I will reorder it after they get the bugs worked out.

This is the way with all first generation apple products. Sure this is version 2; but this is more or less a complete re-do with a different OS; in a sense, this is the first generation.

Mr Kram
Oct 1, 2010, 04:31 PM
is this the case for both wired and wireless set-ups?

HT Guy
Oct 1, 2010, 04:32 PM
I may have spoken too soon. I am watching the movie Supernova using Netflix streaming and the picture quality is very, very good. Much better than my Roku player. However, all the features of my Roku work as advertised.

HT Guy
Oct 2, 2010, 08:49 AM
I finally got homesharing to work by resetting my router.

jajohns8
Oct 2, 2010, 10:03 AM
Think there maybe a homesharing bug. It worked for me the first time but after the Apple tv went to sleep I had to physically log out of iTunes, turn homesharing on and off and then it worked again

I have had this issue too. I turned homesharing off and then on, on the apple tv, and then it recognized my iTunes library.

Eric-PTEK
Oct 2, 2010, 10:09 AM
Its flaky especially the remote app.

I fought with it for 45 minutes, no luck.

Put down my iPhone, went to the bathroom, came back and it worked, didn't touch anything.

As per my ATV/iTunes thread, Apple now needs to address iTunes multi user since iTunes now must always be running.

To me its no big deal since we have a server and its runs 24/7 anyways but they need to do a hardware based iTunes server.