PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 built-in microphone(s)?

afehrenbach
Dec 26, 2004, 10:30 AM
Hello all... I was wondering a few things about the iMac G5's built-in microphone(s)... Where are they located on the machine?... Can you use them to record vocals onto Garageband?... Can you use them to talk to people in iChat?... What other applications or uses can you use the built-in mic(s) for? How do you use them? Thank you in advance for any and all replies...

munkle
Dec 26, 2004, 11:37 AM
I have no idea where the microphone is hidden on the iMac but I can tell you that it works fine. I've used it on numerous occasions for iChat and had no problem whatsoever. I didn't have to strain at all. I've also used the internal microphone for simple voice overs in iMovie with no probs. However I do not think the quality is of a high enough standard for proper decent audio recordings to be used in GarageBand. Only way to know for sure really is to test it out for yourself but the microphone is there and it works.

crazzyeddie
Dec 26, 2004, 11:41 AM
Any built-in mic will probably record way too much ambient noise to be used in GarageBand for anything but casual recording. You would also get an echo, depending on the room.

jimsowden
Dec 26, 2004, 12:03 PM
Its actually on the bottom in the speaker housing. Crazy!

maya
Dec 26, 2004, 12:41 PM
Its actually on the bottom in the speaker housing. Crazy!

I found that out too since it picks up a lot of fan noise. :(

If you are in a silent room and the iMac G5 fans are not revving it should be fine. :)

allisonv7
Jan 18, 2005, 12:49 PM
I tried to plug in my external mic into the Audio In port on my imac and can't get it to work - I know theres an external one but it doesn't really work to well with Skype.

Any ideas?

allison.

maya
Jan 18, 2005, 01:33 PM
I tried to plug in my external mic into the Audio In port on my imac and can't get it to work - I know theres an external one but it doesn't really work to well with Skype.

Any ideas?

allison.

Do this:

1. Go to "System Preferences"
2. Click the "Sound Option"
3. Click the "Input Option"
4. You should see BOTH the internal MIC and external MIC.
5. Select the external MIC.

and you are good to go. :)

wordmunger
Jan 18, 2005, 01:47 PM
I have heard the Skype audio problems are related to the Mac version of the software, not the microphone. Try an audio iChat and see if you can tell the difference.

maya
Jan 18, 2005, 02:00 PM
I have heard the Skype audio problems are related to the Mac version of the software, not the microphone. Try an audio iChat and see if you can tell the difference.

I believe the latest Skype build fixes the audio issues, and also support BlueTooth headsets.

You have to turn off the firewall in order for Skype to work, I believe well at least that is what is given and stated on the Skype forum(s). :)