PDA

View Full Version : FireWire800 to 400 (LaCie D2)

zim
Dec 26, 2004, 12:06 PM
Santa was very good to me!

For Christmas I received an iSight from my mother-in-law as well as a new 200GB LaCie D2 drive from my wife. I suddenly find myself without any firewire ports, something that I have been dealing with up to this point but would now like to find a solution.

The 200GB LaCie has 1 firewire 400 and 2 800 connections. My iMac only has firewire 400. If there a converter, I think apple use to have one, that goes from 800 to 400? is it also correct to say that I am looking fro a 9 pin to 6 pin converter? I know belkin sells cables that are 9 to 6 pin but would rather just have a small adaptor... anyone know of any?

Also, does anyone have the newer LaCie D2 drives? is it possible, assuming I find a converter, to use all 3 connections at once? the 400 and two 800.

Happy holidays to you all!

Bear
Dec 26, 2004, 12:29 PM
Santa was very good to me!

For Christmas I received an iSight from my mother-in-law as well as a new 200GB LaCie D2 drive from my wife. I suddenly find myself without any firewire ports, something that I have been dealing with up to this point but would now like to find a solution.

The 200GB LaCie has 1 firewire 400 and 2 800 connections. My iMac only has firewire 400. If there a converter, I think apple use to have one, that goes from 800 to 400? is it also correct to say that I am looking fro a 9 pin to 6 pin converter? I know belkin sells cables that are 9 to 6 pin but would rather just have a small adaptor... anyone know of any?

Also, does anyone have the newer LaCie D2 drives? is it possible, assuming I find a converter, to use all 3 connections at once? the 400 and two 800.

Happy holidays to you all!The adapter will cost almost as much as a whole cable. and in my opinion, adding an adapter instead of just usuing the correct cable is just another place for htings to fail.

Belkin cables (while good) can be pricier, there are other brands for less money that are just as good. But depending on where you live, you may need to mail order other brands.

zim
Dec 26, 2004, 12:37 PM
The adapter will cost almost as much as a whole cable. and in my opinion, adding an adapter instead of just usuing the correct cable is just another place for htings to fail.

Belkin cables (while good) can be pricier, there are other brands for less money that are just as good. But depending on where you live, you may need to mail order other brands.

Thanks for the advice. I am assuming Apple feels the same about the adaptor, they have removed it (I recall it once being sold by them, could be wrong). Belkin is pricey but as of right now I think it is my only option, wish they offered shorter cables, I only need a 6 inch cable.

eRondeau
Dec 26, 2004, 12:44 PM
I've got the same drive, the same setup, and once had the same question. But no worries. Your drive's Firewire 800 port is completely compatible with your computer's Firewire 400. All you need is the cable. It's not even a "smart" cable, all it does is change the plug designs. I couldn't find one at Staples or Best Buy, but my Mac dealer hooked me up for about $30 Canadian. Plugged right in, works perfectly. Now my iBook 400 goes straight into my Lacie d2's 800 which then splits into my Lacie DVD burner's 400 and my iPod from there. Apple's excellent engineering wins again!

As a bonus, I find the Firewire 800 plug "seats" a little tighter in the plug than the 400 plug. I have mounted my Lacie d2 drive permanently under the desk out of the way and just plug the Firewire cable in whenever I need it.

zim
Dec 26, 2004, 01:05 PM
I've got the same drive, the same setup, and once had the same question. But no worries. Your drive's Firewire 800 port is completely compatible with your computer's Firewire 400. All you need is the cable. It's not even a "smart" cable, all it does is change the plug designs. I couldn't find one at Staples or Best Buy, but my Mac dealer hooked me up for about $30 Canadian. Plugged right in, works perfectly. Now my iBook 400 goes straight into my Lacie d2's 800 which then splits into my Lacie DVD burner's 400 and my iPod from there. Apple's excellent engineering wins again!

As a bonus, I find the Firewire 800 plug "seats" a little tighter in the plug than the 400 plug. I have mounted my Lacie d2 drive permanently under the desk out of the way and just plug the Firewire cable in whenever I need it.

Thanks for answering my second question. Off to price out cables.

Duff-Man
Dec 26, 2004, 01:10 PM
Off to price out cables.Duff-Man says...don't forget to check out eBay. When I wanted a really short (1 foot) firewire cable I had no luck at all finding one in local shops let alone reasonably priced...ended up getting a couple on eBay really cheap and they worked great. If your lucky maybe you'll find the 800->400 you are looking for there too.....oh yeah!