PDA

View Full Version : Streaming Movie to iPad

chris650
Sep 30, 2010, 10:04 PM
I have a big collection DVD in iso files. What's the best way to stream to my iPad?

(I know that, normally, I have to transcode them to other format, e.g. H.264, to use AirVideo or something like that. Is any way I can transcode on the fly while streaming to iPad.)

flopticalcube
Sep 30, 2010, 10:07 PM
Airvideo or plex will transcode on the fly.

sapporobaby
Sep 30, 2010, 11:25 PM
I have a big collection DVD in iso files. What's the best way to stream to my iPad?

(I know that, normally, I have to transcode them to other format, e.g. H.264, to use AirVideo or something like that. Is any way I can transcode on the fly while streaming to iPad.)

If you use the search feature, you will find that this question has been asked and answered a million times.

chris650
Sep 30, 2010, 11:48 PM
airvideo does NOT convert iso on the fly
:(

Night Spring
Oct 1, 2010, 07:51 AM
airvideo does NOT convert iso on the fly
:(

iso files aren't video files, they are disk images. Question is, what format are the video files within your iso files? On a PC, there are programs that lets you mount iso files as if they were a DVD drive connected to your system, and manipulate the files directly. I imagine you should be able to do the same on Macs. You need to mount the iso file, and if it's a carbon copy of the DVD, you need to rerip it to one of the formats supported by AirVideo. Or you might get lucky and find the iso files already contain video files in one of the supported formats, in which case all you need is to copy the files to somewhere AirVideo can access them.

jammybastard
Oct 1, 2010, 08:16 AM
Zumocast?

there's also PogoPlug.

Night Spring
Oct 1, 2010, 10:41 AM
Zumocast?

there's also PogoPlug.

Same problem. iso files aren't video files. They wouldn't work with any app/service that handles video files until they are converted / decoded into video files.

chris650
Oct 1, 2010, 06:28 PM
i know it's an image file... but can any app convert on the fly....
the bottom line is that i don't want to make another copy of the same content