PDA

View Full Version : If You Carry Your iPad w/ You Everyday, Everywhere... (what case?)

HappyDude20
Oct 1, 2010, 03:57 AM
..What case do you carry it around in?

Lately i've been carrying mine around in this: http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elan-passport-ipad(In Black)

However am not that big of a fan. I've heard both great and bad reviews on Apple's own case so i'm on the fence on that one; though I'm very interested in a case along the same lines.

I just don't wanna scream out that I'm carrying around an iPad but do want the functionality of propping it like this: http://teentechblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/ipad-case.png

...Yet have to admit that when i'm @ home it feels great to hold it naked. (The iPad, not me :p)

zed2
Oct 1, 2010, 04:08 AM
Well I have the apple case.

It's nice , but I usually have it in a bag too as I carry a laptop with me as well.

talkingfuture
Oct 1, 2010, 04:10 AM
I use one of these but black rather than purple

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView.process?Section_Id=208314

faultless so far and it has a little pocket for docking cable and cleaning cloth etc.

HappyDude20
Oct 1, 2010, 04:26 AM
Well I have the apple case.

It's nice , but I usually have it in a bag too as I carry a laptop with me as well.

Ahhh

I've been doing the same as well, carrying that Griffin Passport Elan in my InCase backpack that has my MBP too. Though recently have realized I can get by w/ just the iPad and leave the MBP @ home too, hence leave the InCase backpack at home too.

TraceyS/FL
Oct 1, 2010, 09:06 AM
Either in the timbuk2 freestyle netbook bag or the purse i made.

I do carry it with me most of the time right now....

FirefighterTim
Oct 1, 2010, 09:14 AM
Look, I appreciate the marketing schtick, and it sounds nice, but I've found that a leather binder doesn't really do any thing more than make your iPad look like a book. We've been using the modulR case system (http://www.modulrcase.com) for a little over 2 months now, and a leather bound book it ain't. It's very utilitarian, it protects the ipad, and the anchors that come out of the back of the case connect your ipad to a desk top stand, wall mount, and shoulder strap (we love this most of all, officers use it to carry iPad while doing fire code inspections or hydrant testing. Looks like a professional tool, Lots of people are pleasantly suprised to see it's an iPad!) Word is they've got a car mount/cabinet mount coming, so I've definately found what I think is the best out there, not pretty, but very, very useful!

pm41m
Oct 1, 2010, 01:00 PM
@FirefighterTim: I thought that the Modular shoulder strap hadn't been released yet. Are you using the official straps or homemade ones?

drenline
Oct 1, 2010, 01:05 PM
My micheal Jordan duffle bag from footlocker and my incase neoprene case... That's about it...

Perihelion
Oct 1, 2010, 01:08 PM
I have the Apple case and keep it in my messenger bag or backpack as I'm out and about. I like the Apple case because its thin and works as a multiposition stand. The thin profile lets me get lots of other stuff in the bag.

Kobra
Oct 1, 2010, 01:44 PM
I use the Apple case, but I'm leaning towards the new Hard Candy Cases Candy Convertible. It's more or less an exact copy of the Apple case, but made in another material. Hopefully it doesn't attract dust. Haven't seen any reviews, still on the fence...:rolleyes:

tekchic
Oct 1, 2010, 01:54 PM
Eagle Creek Travel Bug Daypack from REI http://www.rei.com/product/773423

Marware Ecovue case for iPad. When I'm traveling, I use the same bag but also toss the Apple bluetooth keyboard in there (it's in a Waterfield Designs keyboard socket)

Bag's got a TON of pockets, which I love... I like everything having its own pocket :D

Edit: I see me buying an Apple Case in the future to tote in the same Eagle Creek pack -- the Marware is nice and padded, but it is pretty chunky and the magnets interfere w/the compass.

xraytech
Oct 1, 2010, 02:30 PM
TimBuk2 XS

tekchic
Oct 1, 2010, 02:33 PM
TimBuk2 XS

That's a great bag -- lots of padding as well as space for Apple Keyboard and stuff.

jammybastard
Oct 1, 2010, 02:51 PM
Timbuk2 D-Lux Messenger & Marware Eco View
Bought D-Luxto carry my MBP, but use it with my Ipad just as much because with the extra room I can carry AC adapters, camera gear, books, mags, etc...

Clix Pix
Oct 1, 2010, 07:22 PM
For the most part I have been carrying my iPad in the Apple case in my Portable Muzetto bag or in other bags I have that are large enough to carry it. Recently I've been tucking the iPad into a RadTech RadSleevz and have found that it then fits into slightly smaller bags as well as my faithful Muzetto....whenever I leave the house my iPad goes with me.

BossHogg
Oct 4, 2010, 08:59 AM
Since launch have used the Apple case and as soon as it was available, the Waterfield Exo case. Going out - use Timbuk2 (small) classic but am considering a Waterfield Cargo since i often need a handle on my Messenger bags.

GreggM3
Oct 4, 2010, 06:49 PM
Apple case or CyberAcoustics leather folio in a Timbuk2 netbook messenger bag XS in black. For suit days I use a slim black Cole Haan leather briefcase.

SVT Amateur
Oct 4, 2010, 07:16 PM
I carry mine daily in the Vol. 2 case from www.padandquill.com. It protects the iPad well, disguises it as a very nice book, and makes me look pretentious - which I like.

Lexoticstylez02
Oct 4, 2010, 10:09 PM
Yoobao Slim, love it.

smetvid
Oct 5, 2010, 02:23 AM
I actually bought a very nice netbook case to carry mine. It fits perfectly and has an extra pouch for a check book, pen, stylus, USB adapter for charging and a cloth to wipe it down. The best part about the case is that it is padded with a soft material on the inside and it only cost me $15.00. Basically it is almost identical to some 3rd party iPad cases except it is about 1/2" bigger all around to compensate for the extra thickness of a netbook. I believe Swissgear made the case.

I love this case and it is thick enough with decent padding where I actually think I could drop it and it would be fine. Of course I don't really want to test this but it feels a heck of a lot safer then most iPad cases.

Clix Pix
Oct 5, 2010, 01:27 PM
My iPad is naked at home; only when it leaves the house is it tucked into a bag for protection and ease of carrying. Just makes good common sense to me.....

nixiemaiden
Oct 5, 2010, 02:01 PM
My most recent case has been the Chinao and although it is my favorite case that I have purchased, I still want more features.

I like the portfolio case because it gives me a couple of viewing angles and it is a lot easier to grip than a naked iPad. I really don't think I could handle a naked iPad...I would need at least a TPU case or something for added grip.

The chinao protects the iPad enough that I am just able to put it in my bag without worrying too much about it. I can put my keys, wallet, cables, cellphone and whatever else I might need in with it and not have to worry about those things somehow damaging it.

However, I don't carry my iPad out of the house unless I'm going to need it because I hate bringing out my bag that is big enough to carry it.

HappyDude20
Oct 5, 2010, 07:16 PM
My iPad is naked at home; only when it leaves the house is it tucked into a bag for protection and ease of carrying. Just makes good common sense to me.....

@ home I have mine naked with the exception of a Zagg Invisible Shield and also a Tan Zagg Leatherskin for the back. I love the nake feel, however have recently been thinking about getting a Yoobao or Apple type of case that'll allow me to angle it for typing.

Clix Pix
Oct 5, 2010, 09:33 PM
@ home I have mine naked with the exception of a Zagg Invisible Shield and also a Tan Zagg Leatherskin for the back. I love the nake feel, however have recently been thinking about getting a Yoobao or Apple type of case that'll allow me to angle it for typing.

Sorry, but IMHO that's not "naked," then, if it's got a Zagg Invisible Shield and a Zagg Leatherskin something-or-other on the back.

My iPad is genuinely, truly naked, so that my fingers can fully appreciate the feel of the glass surface and the aluminum surface, just the way it came in the box, the way Apple intended.....

HappyDude20
Oct 6, 2010, 04:00 PM
Sorry, but IMHO that's not "naked," then, if it's got a Zagg Invisible Shield and a Zagg Leatherskin something-or-other on the back.

My iPad is genuinely, truly naked, so that my fingers can fully appreciate the feel of the glass surface and the aluminum surface, just the way it came in the box, the way Apple intended.....

Yes, you're right, yours is truly naked. In its original birthday suit. Mine is wearing a thin layer of lingerie.

I'm wondering if you've had it naked and no marks or wear and tear exist? I personally had it naked for a week and loved it, however am glad I purchased the invisibleshield screen protector considering I have a 2 yr old son who watchies spongebon on netflix all the time and one day wrote on the ipad with a pen..luckily only on the screen protector itself, with zagg sending me a replacement.

As for the leatherskin, I got it on a whim one day seeing as I needed some sort of grip for holding the ipad hours on end reading an ibook.

I almost bit the bullet yesterday ready to purchase the apple case for the ipad however am now considering the yoobao slim leather one.

Clix Pix
Oct 6, 2010, 04:35 PM
Mine is pristine.....no signs of wear-and-tear, no scratches, dents or marks either on the glass or on the aluminum. That said, I'm an adult who lives alone with no children, no pets.....right there that makes my home a little safer for my Macs, iPad and iPhone! :D

billg02176
Oct 6, 2010, 09:15 PM
I just bought an iPad and looked at the incase one for 59 dollars and after speaking with a very good Apple sales person opted for the Apple case and really like it

It's sturdy and it has the Apple logo on it and makes the Ipad look very sophisticated! :-)

Most importantly, it does the job for $20 less!

circularforward
Oct 6, 2010, 09:28 PM
I'm another one who uses the Apple case in a Timbuk2 laptop messenger. I used to carry my mbp in it, along with other things, but now just the ipad and other things. =)

Hiero4life
Oct 8, 2010, 03:10 PM
Otterbox defender in a Timbuktu 2 xs.

jamesarm97
Oct 8, 2010, 03:13 PM
I have tried 3 cases and settled on the SGP Vintage leather case. Love it, looks nice and feels nice.

http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.php/cPath/23_36/products_id/1366

Nhwhazup
Oct 8, 2010, 05:16 PM
Tried 7 different cases - finally landed on the Yoobao slim and a Crystal clear screen protector. Really like the Yoobao slim!

osxnewbe
Oct 8, 2010, 05:33 PM
I keep the iPad in either an incase sleeve or the apple iPad case. I carry that inside a net book case I bought at target which allows me to carry a charger, ear buds and a mifi and it's charger. It's a semi-rigid case so I think it does a decent job protecting the iPad.

The netbook case doesn't hold the iPad snug in place when it's naked but I could probably but a piece of foam the size of the iPad to take up the extra space (maybe 1/2"?)...

sracer
Oct 8, 2010, 07:49 PM
Ever since receiving the Macally Bookstand, I have used it exclusively. When I need to carry a few other things along with it... I use this Targus case:
http://www.netbookreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/Targus-CityGear-Netbook-Case.jpg

BergerFan
Oct 9, 2010, 06:46 AM
I used to have a Clear Coat full body skin, then I had an SGP Carbon back cover.
I got fed up with both - not because they were bad products(they were excellent), but I grew out of the extreme babying stage I always go through, whenever I get a new piece of tech. :D

Now, if I'm out and about, then it goes in the Apple case. It's genuinely naked at all other times though.
IMO, the Apple case really is the best case. It retains a very slim profile, protects well, and the stand/typing features are excellent. The only negative thing about it, is that does attract a little too much dust, but a quick wipe with a damp cloth clears that up.

Tom G.
Oct 9, 2010, 09:34 PM
I carry mine in a leather case and that in a Muzetto bag from Waterfield Designs.

http://www.sfbags.com/products/muzetto/muzetto.htm

I like this bag a lot it really does the trick.

ethen
Oct 9, 2010, 09:40 PM
I never use a case, just a sleeve, case adds extra weight when you are holding it, gets tiring after using it for a 8 hours flight :p

peapody
Oct 9, 2010, 09:52 PM
Boyfriend uses a dodo case that he just slips into his chrome bag. He is too hip.

HappyDude20
Oct 10, 2010, 04:33 PM
Thanks everyone for contributing to the thread. I've gone and ahead and purchased the Apple case and admit am a big fan of it...

However, though i;ve seen people walk out and about with their ipad in just that case...i'm not one to do so.

I hate to admit that I'm becoming a fan of the muzetto leather bag. The 10inch personal size seems a bit dainty to me, but wouldn't mind the 15inch version just in case I need my MBP. The reason i'm iffy about it is cause I'm not a fan of messenger bags...however that muzetto is speaking to me. But it's sold out and kinda expensive....

So now am on the lookout for something to place the iPad in the Apple Case in, for when i'm heading out the door and gotta hold it in my hand when walking to my car, at work, school....etc.

skullnbones
Oct 11, 2010, 06:42 AM
I have the Apple case and keep it in my messenger bag or backpack as I'm out and about. I like the Apple case because its thin and works as a multiposition stand. The thin profile lets me get lots of other stuff in the bag.

I agree. I have tried a number of cases, based on some negative comments about the Apple case.

First, I tried the Yoobao V2 (bonded) leather case. It's heavy for what it is, and doesn't double back flat, so is annoying to hold. The iPad also tends to slip down (despite the flap holding it in) when placed upright. It is also quite bulky.

Secondly, I tried (and still have, for more adventurous outings), the Otterbox Defender. It offers great protection, but not only does it weigh a tonne and is very thick with the cover on, it has left some marks on the rear of the iPad. Mine never exhibited the "oil slick" pressure problem unless I deliberately applied pressure.

Third was a cheap eBay flip case with magnets holding it in place when folded back, but it was flimsy and started to wear even after less than a week. I gave it to my mum.

Then I just went out and bought the Apple case Saturday last. It is great, offering good protection, even to minor impact, as the edges which some feel are sharp (they are not) can absorb some shock. Its rubbery feel makes it easy to grip, it will accept the photo adaptor, it is light, and it is nice and thin, to slip into my MacBook bag (a 13 inch STM Scout messenger-style bag).

I don't think I'll use the Yoobao case, just the Apple case and the Otterbox for army deployments or exercises.

Hey Jude
Oct 12, 2010, 04:27 AM

This....I really like my :apple: case.

Jude

Dorkington
Oct 12, 2010, 08:10 AM
For carrying it around, I have this:

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-CityGear-Netbook-Netbooks-TSM097US/dp/B002N8726W

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-sQBBAEdL._SS350_.jpg

iPad fits in it like the bag was made for iPad. It's perfect. Has an extra slot for an Apple bluetooth keyboard, or a note pad. Has a few pouches for charger, wallet, phone, whatever.

As far as my case goes, I just have the Apple case... its the one I like best so far, but I'm keeping my eyes out for something with better "stand" capabilities that doesn't leave edges of the iPad exposed like most do.

tbayrgs
Oct 12, 2010, 04:58 PM
Originally started with the Apple case and will still use it occasionally when I may be in less desirable conditions (i.e. outdoors at my kids games) as it's pretty rugged and offers good protection but for the most part it stays in a Dodocase. The Dodo has a pretty small profile, looks great, even with some wear and honestly I wanted something that you don't see very often and doesn't advertise the fact that I'm carrying an iPad.

steve31
Oct 12, 2010, 05:58 PM
Piel Frama case in a Vaja messenger bag here. I have a thing for top end leather cases.

HappyDude20
Oct 12, 2010, 07:30 PM
Originally started with the Apple case and will still use it occasionally when I may be in less desirable conditions (i.e. outdoors at my kids games) as it's pretty rugged and offers good protection but for the most part it stays in a Dodocase. The Dodo has a pretty small profile, looks great, even with some wear and honestly I wanted something that you don't see very often and doesn't advertise the fact that I'm carrying an iPad.

That si something that i need. i hate carrying around the apple case when ppl know im holding an ipad.

HazChem
Oct 12, 2010, 09:30 PM
+1

Meever
Oct 13, 2010, 01:36 AM
Apple case + Timbuk 2 messenger bag xs

It fits perfectly! It's loose enough to the point where it slips right in, but snug enough that it doesn't move around. And all those pockets. wh00t. I never leave home out it now.

zsno
Oct 13, 2010, 02:17 AM
Either naked, apple case, or candyshell in a timbuk2 XS as well.

pm41m
Oct 13, 2010, 01:38 PM
I'm happy with my Tom Bihn Ristretto for iPad (black/wasabi) vertical messenger bag. It holds my iPad (in the IvySkin Xylo-T4) securely in the built-in iPad pocket, my Kindle, both chargers/cables, my collapsible iPad stand, my phone, my wallet, and my keys, with room left for a bit more.

Tom.Colly
Oct 14, 2010, 12:33 PM
I am a big believer in modulR. It has always been between modulr and the otterbox commuter, and they are both great cases, very similar in design, great quality. I like otterbox's defender as well, but It's just so...much! If I were taking my ipad to a jungle, the choice would be simple, but lets get real, I'm...well, I'm a commuter. So, we are back to two very similar ipad case. In the end, the gadget guy in my prevails due to the potential of the modulr case. Their accessory line is fairly small now, just a "quick sand" (table top stand) and a "slim mount" (low profile wall mount). However, there is talk of shoulder straps, headrest mounts, and some sort of 3-d articulating arm with quite a bit of potential. The commuter is a great case, but the modulr case feels like an... investment.

wirelessmacuser
Oct 14, 2010, 12:43 PM
When my 7" iPad arrives...

I will be carrying it in my laptop bag during the work week.

A Timbuk 2 messenger, or Backpack for the weekends

A thin sleeve when I just want to pop into Starbucks for a coffee.

This is why I really like the 7" size as it's light, takes up very little space, and is ultimately portable.

My current iPad is in high demand for use in the house by the family.

FirefighterTim
Oct 14, 2010, 12:51 PM
@FirefighterTim: I thought that the Modular shoulder strap hadn't been released yet. Are you using the official straps or homemade ones?

Rigged up a guitar strap, works like a charm!:cool:

tbayrgs
Oct 14, 2010, 07:33 PM
That si something that i need. i hate carrying around the apple case when ppl know im holding an ipad.

It's worked well--just looks like I'm reading a notebook, this is until someone is right next to me or sees me touching the screen. The next statement is then usually, "Wow, that's an iPad? Cool case." It all downhill from there.

MacBlackBook22
Oct 15, 2010, 01:36 AM
I am using the same case as the thread starter but now I have another one on order the SGP case I like that it looks sleeker and doesn't have the flap which the griffin has that is a bit annoying to me and I don't care for the corner straps of the Griffin case. I like that with the SGP case it just fits the edges just like the case I have for my MacBook Pro does.
I haven't carried my iPad around much but when I do I just drop it into one of my small purse/backpacks with the protective case its well protected and I don't feel it needs another specialty case

NateEssex
Oct 16, 2010, 10:25 PM
I just got my 10" STM iPad bag from Amazon & it's pretty nice. I wear it like a messenger/sling back. It's definitely a minimalist bag with room for just your iPhone and keys or a small digital camera. ;)

Built
Oct 16, 2010, 11:42 PM
I use the Luxury Carbon Fiber Exterior case from Handheld items...

http://www.handhelditems.com/luxury-convertible-carbon-flip-case-ipad-black-free-screen-protector-p-140778.html

Far nicer than the Yoobao Magic, IMHO.

When I don't use the case, I keep my iPad in a clear TPU shell and slip it into a velveteen sleeve that I purchased off of Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280498467756&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

flipangle
Oct 25, 2010, 12:54 AM
Belkin Vue and this:

http://www.amazon.com/STM-Jacket-Laptop-Screens-Black/dp/B003FMU320/ref=sr_1_2?s=apparel&qlEnable=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1287985844&sr=1-2&searchContext=B00009MF83,B003FMU320,B00009MF82,B001W9W9KW,B0029LB5D4,B001W9SHNU,B003INTVWE,B000XP40C Q,B000MN9826,B003INKCLI,B001W9WAVU,B0032ALW98,B003BNY8AQ,B000MN5XDE,B0042WI7PC,B00429U492,B00009MF80 ,B002CRNK9M,B001W9QIY0,B002CRRJUI,B002X9OQNI,B001EATYCU,B001XIWJ0M,B001XIVNWW

Heard that an ipad in an Apple case will also fit into it. It love this jacket as it is extremely small, fits perfectly, and has 2 extra pockets. However, note that once you stuff the jacket with an ipad that is also ready in a case such as the Vue, there isn't much room left for anything else. I use the zippered pocket for my earbuds and a cleaning cloth.

SchneiderMan
Oct 25, 2010, 01:15 AM
I use the Apple Case and sometimes I carry it inside my STM Jacket.