Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwarnecke11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
Well, here we go. In one fell swoop, my new iPod picked up a ton of tiny scratches all over the back from being played with on a table by my roommate (this picture doesn't show a tenth of them). I heard Brasso could do the trick, but I'm just wondering if it could rub out these very light scratches without swirling or making new ones. Anyone have experience with this? My case is on backorder from Amazon.

k4v9k3.jpg

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
My personal opinion is to live with it. Even in a case it'll get some scratches, and rather than obsess over them, just leave as is rather than spend time and effort in an activity that may not produce satisfactory results.

Yes; this is why I immediately get a film and case for each of my i-whatsits; but bar major damage, i'll restrict myself to prevention only.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Yeah, just suck it up and move on. I have babied my new touch and I have little scratches all over the back including some long ones. How they got there, I have no idea. And I also don't care. It's the nature of these chrome backs. Accept it and move on.

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
I would not use brasso. It is a very fine polish but it is an abrasive and going to do exactly as you suggested, it will create additional fine hairline scratches which will obscure the ones you already have, but that is probably not what you want. If it really bothers you, sell it and buy another. I'll bet you won't lose much on the sale.

Consider ordering a bestskins skin for the back. It is cheap protection while you wait for your case. Bestskins is shipping now, got mine in two days.

dwarnecke11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
Yeah, I figured I'd just live with it and move on. Once my case gets in I'll never see the back again really. I really wish Apple had moved to an iPad-like aluminum back on these things.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Yeah, I figured I'd just live with it and move on. Once my case gets in I'll never see the back again really. I really wish Apple had moved to an iPad-like aluminum back on these things.

The general speculation has been, though bordering on conspiracy theory, is that the case manufacturers do a LOT of business because of the chrome back. An aluminum or similar back would drop case sales by a lot. I know I'd be much more apt to rock it naked. And maybe Apple gets some kind of financial kickback from case makers, or something like that. Again, conspiracy theory-ish, but who knows. I can't think of a better explanation though. I thought for SURE this time around they'll go with an aluminum shell, or at least make it LOOK like the iPad and MacBook Pros.

ObiWannabe

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2010
What I did to protect the back until I got my case is I took the plastic protective cover that was on the front of the ipod when I first bought it and stuck it on the back. But the others are correct when they say that the back will get scratched even with a case on so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Get a skin ASAP. I'm not familiar with anything but car polishes (Which I'm very familiar with) but they should take care of it. Until you can get a skin (cases will always scratch it) SARAN WRAP. I'm serious. If you take like 5 minutes to do it right you'll barely even see it.

dwarnecke11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
Does it have any problems? Then use that problem to get a new replacement. And then put a case ASAP out of the box.

No problems, no clicking, no backlight leakage. My case has been on backorder. I'm fine with a few light scratches - I keep my iPods for a good 3 or 4 years anyways.

I tried some Carnauba wax. No dice.

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
The general speculation has been, though bordering on conspiracy theory, is that the case manufacturers do a LOT of business because of the chrome back. An aluminum or similar back would drop case sales by a lot. I know I'd be much more apt to rock it naked. And maybe Apple gets some kind of financial kickback from case makers, or something like that. Again, conspiracy theory-ish, but who knows. I can't think of a better explanation though. I thought for SURE this time around they'll go with an aluminum shell, or at least make it LOOK like the iPad and MacBook Pros.
This would be probable. I've heard this before, and it makes sense. They don't have chrome for the Nano, probably because they know it won't boost case sales anyways. And if they are doing this (putting the chrome on for people to buy cases) on purpose, I'm almost positive that they would get a share of the profits.

dwarnecke11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
I doubt that conspiracy theory above. It's not probable in the slightest. My question to the OP is why bother with a case? It's already scratched...

if I used this thing without a case for 3-4 years it would look absolutely terrible. Right now it has some very light scratches. I also don't like the way the chrome back feels. I'd prefer a rubberized grippy texture like the case I bought.

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
I doubt that conspiracy theory above. It's not probable in the slightest. My question to the OP is why bother with a case? It's already scratched...

errr if apple didn't purposely make it with the materials they do they wouldn't even need cases in first place. It's all done on purpose right down to choosing a 50cent 0.7mpixel camera. Every choice they make is as precise as possible. If they wanted to make the device scratch free, well they have already had 4 generations to do so. That's what apple is about "making money." :rolleyes: They also have products on the market that no one else can competitively offer a similar all in one solution at comparatively better price. It doesn't exist and when it does, it isn't around for long. Apple is consistent at what they do and they are there to entice you and take your cash.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
errr if apple didn't purposely make it with the materials they do they wouldn't even need cases in first place. It's all done on purpose right down to choosing a 50cent 0.7mpixel camera. Every choice they make is as precise as possible. If they wanted to make the device scratch free, well they have already had 4 generations to do so. That's what apple is about "making money." :rolleyes: They also have products on the market that no one else can competitively offer a similar all in one solution at comparatively better price. It doesn't exist and when it does, it isn't around for long. Apple is consistent at what they do and they are there to entice you and take your cash.
Yeah, it's painfully obvious to any rationally thinking adult that Apple's choice of a mirrored back is intentional. Everything about Apple is intentional.

But I disagree with you that it (mirror finish) is about "Apple" making money. At least not as a primary motivation. It is about helping OTHERS make money. That is what builds mindshare and momentum. The iPod brand is ubiquitous because there are tons of accessories that all have the name and logo on their retail packaging.

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
But I disagree with you that it (mirror finish) is about "Apple" making money. At least not as a primary motivation. It is about helping OTHERS make money. That is what builds mindshare and momentum. The iPod brand is ubiquitous because there are tons of accessories that all have the name and logo on their retail packaging.
Well, even if the majority of the money from cases is going to the case makers, they still probably get a piece of it. If this is true, do they get a portion of every bit of case money? I think it would be kinda difficult to do so. I wonder if they just get a portion from those who agreed to the back. Invisible Shield, and BodyGuard are probably in this. The chrome (or polished steel) is (if the conspiracy is true) probably making most of the IS and BodyGuard business.

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
No problems, no clicking, no backlight leakage. My case has been on backorder. I'm fine with a few light scratches - I keep my iPods for a good 3 or 4 years anyways.

I tried some Carnauba wax. No dice.

Wax will never work. Carnauba wax adds a layer (which is great on cars, horrible on iPods because it's slightly oily) which won't do any good for scratches. What you need is a fine polish for the scratches which will bring down the area around the scratch to the level of the scratch, making it go away.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Oregon
When I bought my new touch I instantly with the Belkin Grip Vue case, it is TPU material which is awesome because you have the best of both worlds. No scratches so far. My touch hasn't been bare once unless I cleaned lint out of it.

fosking

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
I think people are missing the point with the mirrored backs. It has nothing to do with cases being sold. Apple doesn't make a penny on these unless they are being sold through the Apple website or retail store. Let's be honest, how many people have upgraded their touches over the last couple of years! Whenever Apple releases their new models you look at your iPod and think "mine doesn't have all those features which makes it outdated. Plus it's full of scratches which confirms it's past it's best!" you will only allow it to get so scratched, case or no case, before you feel you need an upgrade cause it's old. It's a clever way by Apple to make customers continuously upgrade their iPods without feeling guilty or splashing their cash about! Expect the mirror back to be here for the long term and don't be surprised If the iPad gets it next!

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
If you want to hide it, (and actually do like the different feel), a body protector skin will actually disguise most light marks; the adhesive tends to settle into them. Of course; it's not an actual (permanent) cure, and you need to be slightly capable at applying it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.