Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DiXXXy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
I tried with a UK PC once with disastrous results.

What will I need to do to make my UK Macbook usable by a German in Germany? I'm sure there is a language selection somewhere, but what about programmes and drivers etc.? Plus I've heard that internet connection could be another issue.

Anyone with experience or advice?

Much appreciated,
DiXXXy

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Hello and welcome to the forums.

Internet will not be an issue.

Programmes and drivers again should not be an issue. Deutsch is a pretty major language so all programmes should be translated to work with it.

In terms of switching the system language launch System Preferences - Language & Text - Language.

Drag Deutsch to the top of the list. If it is not present in the list choose "Edit List" and put a check in the check box.

It is best to log out and log back in again once you have made this change.

You can also change the input (keyboard) to "German" by going to System Preferences - Language & Text - Input Sources

Choose German in this list.

What this does is switch the keyboard from English to German which are different. However note that what is printed on the keys will not always be what is inputed into the computer as the buttons are mapped differently (e.g. "y" on the keyboard is "z"). So it is up to you to choose if you want to do this option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.