PDA

View Full Version : New Apple TV and VGA?

EricJD
Oct 1, 2010, 01:07 PM
I see that the new Apple TV only has HDMI output. My projector only has VGA-in, is there a way to connect the Apple TV to my projector?

mstrze
Oct 1, 2010, 01:12 PM
Yes...

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-VGA-HD15-Male-Cable/dp/B001OLCHJ6

EricJD
Oct 6, 2010, 02:50 PM
Can anyone confirm that an HDMI to VGA cable works with the new Apple TV?

mchalebk
Oct 6, 2010, 03:31 PM
From reading the reviews on Amazon, I would be surprised if this worked with the AppleTV.

wodeh
Oct 7, 2010, 11:16 AM
I'd be happy to upgrade that to an absolute no.

I'm not saying that there aren't solutions: http://uk.startech.com/product/HDMI2VGA-HDMI-to-VGA-Video-Converter-with-Audio

But I am saying that the money is better invested in a proper home theater projector- I've only ever seen VGA on business projectors.

fpnc
Oct 7, 2010, 01:19 PM
Yes...

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-VGA-HD15-Male-Cable/dp/B001OLCHJ6

Just to be clear, that cable will absolutely and positively NOT work. You'd need an active digital-to-analog converter that also handles HDCP.

BlackMangoTree
Oct 7, 2010, 01:28 PM
HDCP will be an issue.

GTDaveMac
Oct 7, 2010, 07:35 PM
Just to be clear, that cable will absolutely and positively NOT work. You'd need an active digital-to-analog converter that also handles HDCP.

Like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011404&p_id=4629&seq=1&format=2%22

... But protected content still won't play.

potatis
Oct 7, 2010, 07:51 PM
Content from the iTunes store will not play, but your own content would?

EricJD
Oct 8, 2010, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I figured there would be issues with digital/analog and HDCP, I just wanted to make sure before I went out and bought stuff only to be worthless.

Has anyone tried an HDFury with the new Apple TV?

spazsmith
Oct 13, 2010, 03:00 PM
my old InFocus LP70+ is supposedly able to take a digital signal, so I have ordered a HDMI converter for its "DVI-like" proprietary plug...

So my question is, if the projector supports 1280x1024 and a digital input, will it accept the 720p (1280x720) signal from my new Apple TV (ATV2); or will the projector act like my 23" Cinema Display (which renders at 1280x800) but will not display anything from the ATV2?

Side note: has anyone heard about the ATV2 having some remote tricks to change resolution? :rolleyes:

thx!

fpnc
Oct 13, 2010, 04:38 PM
...Has anyone tried an HDFury with the new Apple TV?
It seems to work (HDfury2, HDMI -> component), however, I only tried it for a few minutes before switching back to straight HDMI.

sabia
Oct 31, 2010, 05:17 PM
Guys, just got an HDMI to VGA cable adapter to connect the new ATV to my HP VP 6120 LCD Projector and can say: IT DOES NOT WORK! Unfortunately I haven't got a HDTV and will have to deal with it later...

animatedude
Jan 26, 2011, 03:37 PM
what works then?

FreedomHD
Feb 5, 2011, 06:31 AM
HDfury worked for me with both Apple TV first gen and second gen.
Giving a new life to my 65inch RPTV !

anileda15
Feb 18, 2011, 02:41 AM
Hi People

Here is the solution and a really affordable one ;)

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?product_code=NP031AA%23ABA&aoid=8023&srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=20-77940134-2

I am about to order one.

Omne666
Feb 18, 2011, 05:52 AM
LOL....I tried the same thing...bought the HDMI to VGA cable......:-(

Save your money.

paulrbeers
Feb 18, 2011, 07:39 AM
HDMI to VGA Cables WILL NOT WORK. If you understand anything about video cards / HDMI / etc, then you know this will not work.

HDMI = Digital

VGA = Analog

The only way to go from Digital to Analog is to have a device in between called a DAC (digital to analog converter). A straight cable will not have this.

anileda15
Feb 18, 2011, 07:24 PM
LOL....I tried the same thing...bought the HDMI to VGA cable......:-(

Save your money.

that is not a HDMI to VGA cable it is an HDMI to VGA adapter buddy ;)

so it will work for sure!

Omne666
Feb 18, 2011, 10:53 PM
that is not a HDMI to VGA cable it is an HDMI to VGA adapter buddy ;)

so it will work for sure!

It may well work...but I bought the HDMI to VGA CABLE....not adaptor....

That sure didnt work!

anileda15
Feb 19, 2011, 12:03 PM
It may well work...but I bought the HDMI to VGA CABLE....not adaptor....

That sure didnt work!

I thought you are referring to my thread.
It is clear that a cable will not work beacause the signal has to be transformed from digital to analog as also paulrbeers said

gopherhockey
Feb 22, 2011, 07:50 AM
Hi People

Here is the solution and a really affordable one ;)

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?product_code=NP031AA%23ABA&aoid=8023&srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=20-77940134-2

I am about to order one.

Did you ever get this to work?

Here at our office we want an Apple TV 2 plugged into our older VGA projector to present powerpoints etc. Looking for a simple cheap solution that uses existing projector if possible.

ilake
Apr 7, 2011, 09:20 AM
I bought a HDMI to VGA adapter and got picture with good quality. It worked for Netflix and other protected content. My problem is that I have no sound, does VGA not carry sound? If not, then what are options for getting sound?

Thanks

Mr-Kerrse
Apr 7, 2011, 09:56 AM
I bought a HDMI to VGA adapter and got picture with good quality. It worked for Netflix and other protected content. My problem is that I have no sound, does VGA not carry sound? If not, then what are options for getting sound?

Thanks

I don't think VGA does but you could use the optical port for the sound, you can get optical to analog converters.

From A Buick 8
Apr 7, 2011, 10:11 AM

Thanks

VGA does not carry sound, use the optical out on the ATV Like Mr-Kerrse said.

ghcoleman
Sep 5, 2011, 04:18 PM
anileda15: Did the HP HDMI to VGA (conversion)adapter work with your ATV2?

I bought one and it does not work with my IPAD2. I attached it to the HDMI output on my Digital AV Adapter thinking this would be a similar video out signal to the ATV2.

I plan to buy an Apple TV when iOS5 is released to use for buisness presentations. My plan is to connect the Apple TV2 to a business projector and use KeyNote on my IPAD2 and wirelessly transmit my presentation to the projector. The only problem is that most business projectors don't have HDMI; instead they use VGA.

I read in one of the reviews (of the adapter) that you may have to "hack" the device and add an external power supply since the iPAD2 does not put out enough powwr to operate the chip in the adapter. I was wondering if this was also true for the ATV2

SteveW928
Sep 12, 2011, 06:02 PM
I plan to buy an Apple TV when iOS5 is released to use for buisness presentations. My plan is to connect the Apple TV2 to a business projector and use KeyNote on my IPAD2 and wirelessly transmit my presentation to the projector. The only problem is that most business projectors don't have HDMI; instead they use VGA.

Same hope here, so it would be great to know of some reliable solutions. Actually, I'm hoping Apple releases a new Apple TV model with HDMI and VGA, but I'm not holding my breath. It would be the perfect solution for that kind of presentation... better than a laptop at that point by allowing one to walk around.

And people... please, if you're going to just make a wild guess, say you're making a wild guess. Some of the items linked to early in the post obviously won't work.

The other question this brings to my mind (though a bit off-topic), is if one can easily connect an iPad to an Apple TV without them having to join an established wi-fi network (in other words, create their own network between the two devices). I guess one could also carry an Airport Express, but it would be nice to not have to.

speakend
Nov 1, 2011, 02:38 PM

Thanks

What adapter did you purchase? Or, does anyone have a model that works?

Thanks in advance!