PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook Battery help

mcmillan
Dec 26, 2004, 04:07 PM
Hi,

I'm having problems with my PowerBook battery. It seems like the battery isn't connected to the PB, but it is. The little battery icon in the top has an "X". Sometimes it comes back to the plugued icon, but if I try to unplug it, the computer turns off, but it turns on normally without being pluged. It's really weird :confused: . The icon keeps switching from X to plugued.

Specfifications
-1.33 GHz PowerPC G4
-768 MB DDR SDRAM
-Combo Drive
-15" monitor
-Mac OS X v.10.3.5

Thanks!

Logik
Dec 26, 2004, 10:07 PM
is the battery seated in it's location firmly? try pushing it upwards into the machine and see if that does anything... the contact between the battery and the machine might be causing a problem

mcmillan
Dec 26, 2004, 11:49 PM
is the battery seated in it's location firmly? try pushing it upwards into the machine and see if that does anything... the contact between the battery and the machine might be causing a problem

Ok, I'll try that. By the way, what is that button and the lights in the battery?

Logik
Dec 27, 2004, 12:45 AM
Ok, I'll try that. By the way, what is that button and the lights in the battery?

say you have two batteries... how do you tell how charged they are by looking at them? press the button, the lights light up to tell how much power remains... a rough guess obviously but helps... for one battery.. it might help if you didn't wanna turn the machine on to find out... simply put, it tells how much battery remains.

taeclee99
Dec 27, 2004, 02:41 AM
i have the same issue with my powerbook battery. I think this is because the battery is nearing the end of it's life cycle. This is why the computer is seeing it as an X and why it turns off when you yank power cord out. How old is your battery anyway? I think it might need to be replaced by a new one. These batteries usually last between 1-2 years before they start to die.

Logik
Dec 27, 2004, 07:43 AM
i have the same issue with my powerbook battery. I think this is because the battery is nearing the end of it's life cycle. This is why the computer is seeing it as an X and why it turns off when you yank power cord out. How old is your battery anyway? I think it might need to be replaced by a new one. These batteries usually last between 1-2 years before they start to die.

looks like he's got a 1.33ghz G4 15"... which means it's PROBABLY less than a year old... there's no reason the battery should be that bad.

mcmillan
Dec 27, 2004, 02:08 PM

My battery (and the PowerBook) is just 3 months old.

crazzyeddie
Dec 27, 2004, 02:25 PM
Take it in for warranty service, definitely.

mcmillan
Dec 27, 2004, 09:48 PM
Take it in for warranty service, definitely.

Ok, that's what I'm planning to do.

Thanks!!!