Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BacklitFirefly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2009
Sandhills Area, North Carolina
I got MobileMe for Christmas last year and set it up to download all my email and store locally using the Mail app. I was a long-time Gmail user prior to this. I still forward my gmail messages to my MobileMe account. When I was using only gmail, I didn't use an email client on my computer at all. Now I find myself wondering why I'm doing that again with MobileMe, when it's all right there on the web just like Gmail is. Pointless, or what?

Do you use both? If so, what are the reasons?

Just curious.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
i use the mail client whenever possible because it's easier to navigate for me. i don't like working through the web browser and using the mobile client is only when necessary.

i forgot to mention that i only use gmail to fetch everything. i don't use mobileme because if i ever decide to cancel, i would lose that account.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
I only use the web based app when I'm at work as for some reason I just can't get it to connect through the Mail App, I own the only Mac in the building and the IT guys won't come anywhere near it.

The rest of the time I use the Mail App.

BacklitFirefly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2009
Sandhills Area, North Carolina
Hm, interesting replies. Thanks.

I guess I'm mildly disturbed that I relied solely on gmail (completely web-based) for so long, but now that I have MobileMe I feel the need to back it all up with my Mail app. I think it might not be necessary, but I'm afraid to break from Mail.

oh well. :)

arnop

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2007
Paris, France
Mail app on OSX, Mail App on the iPhone, and Mobile Me when I'm abroad and don't want to pay huge fees for downloading data on the phone !

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I use OS/X Mail all the time. I have my GMail set up in it via IMAP along with my MM account and a couple of other domain accounts. I also sync them with my iPhone. I rarely ever log into the web interface for MM. My main use for MM is for syncing and iDisk. The only time I log into the web interface is when I am at work and need a file from iDisk when I'm on my Windows 7 office PC and don't have my MBP with me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.