PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 CPU Upgrade

andreasg
Dec 26, 2004, 06:06 PM
I've heard the thing about companies selling G4 CPU upgrades at 1.7ghz, based on the Powerbook G4 cpu.

I was wondering if we could expect seeing those available as upgrades for the powerbook. It wouldn't be the first time one could get CPU upgrades for Apple mobiles, right? I'd sure be happy with a 200 mhz upgrade..

Sun Baked
Dec 26, 2004, 07:05 PM
The upgrades for the towers and cubes use the low power CPUs from the Notebooks, because it works better for the duals and can meet the cube's tighter cooling requirements.

These upgrades still come on daughtercards.

The PowerBooks are soldered to the main logic board, if you are really good at desoldering and soldering a couple hundred tiny pins and know how to calibrate the Bus and CPU Power Supply -- you too can upgrade your powerbooks CPU a measly 200MHz.

However, it would probably be simpler to overclock the CPU and risk burning the thing up.

CaptainCaveMann
Dec 27, 2004, 11:25 AM
The upgrades for the towers and cubes use the low power CPUs from the Notebooks, because it works better for the duals and can meet the cube's tighter cooling requirements.

These upgrades still come on daughtercards.

The PowerBooks are soldered to the main logic board, if you are really good at desoldering and soldering a couple hundred tiny pins and know how to calibrate the Bus and CPU Power Supply -- you too can upgrade your powerbooks CPU a measly 200MHz.

However, it would probably be simpler to overclock the CPU and risk burning the thing up.Haha agreed :D