Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compete12

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
I noticed on my new ATV 2nd Gen that if you watch a TV Show (from your home library, not "rented" ones), it will incorrectly show it as unwatched (full circle next to title) when you finish it.

As with the original ATV, you would have:
Full Dot: Unwatched
Half Dot: Partially Watched
No Dot: Watched

The new ATV2 shows unwatched and partially watched status correctly, but will revert back to unwatched status (Full Dot) when you finish the episode.

If you watch the same show on your computer in iTunes, it will work correctly and update ATV correctly.

Status from iTunes to ATV works fine, but from ATV to iTunes, it shows the incorrect status.

Anybody else see this bug?

jlg84

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2004
What if you're using the actual remote?

I prefer to use the remote control that came with my ATV2; is there a way to mark the shows as watched with it?

Also, I have noticed that my ATV2 goes 'dormant' if I have my TV set to watch from another source (such as the satellite) and then it takes a very long time to come alive again. Is that a feature?

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
I've noticed this myself... make sure you submit a bug report at apple.com/feedback so they know the issue is impacting a large number of users.

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
I prefer to use the remote control that came with my ATV2; is there a way to mark the shows as watched with it?

Also, I have noticed that my ATV2 goes 'dormant' if I have my TV set to watch from another source (such as the satellite) and then it takes a very long time to come alive again. Is that a feature?

I'm not in front of it right now to test, but if you hold down play/select for 3 seconds you should get some options, one of which is mark as watched.

My old AppleTV shows the Apple logo for a couple seconds after I use a different input on my receiver. I assume it's normal as my other devices also take a second to query for acceptable formats and such when I switch inputs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.