Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
I'm getting a 12-inch PowerBook as a Christmas present, probably a discounted one with SuperDrive and 512RAM for $1470 at the campus bookstore. I know updates might happen, but so be it. My question is if there are any updated reviews, as of the last revision (around April I think)? I have seen just one or two of them, but I'm looking for more. Or if you could answer my question, how's the battery life specifically on the 12-inch PB? The iBook might be a better value, but again, this is a gift so I just pick one laptop around $1500. I'm a student and needed something light, so how's this?

greenleaf

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2004
Eugene,OR
thats sounds like a good choice to me...also you might wanna thinnk about adding a little more ram but other than that its a great machine...also i have the 15in model ad i get about 2.5 hours with normal use out of them :D

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Hopefully it's good, I've been looking around for people's views on it. I do just normal work when I'd be using the battery anyway, typing notes, etc. so I bet I could get up around 3.5-4 hrs? Does that sound like a good deal? The SuperDrive, 512mb RAM, 60gbHD, for $1470? Or I could get the low end, no upgrades for $1399. Thanks again

betsbillabong

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2004
I'd definitely budget for some extra RAM, 512 if you will just be web surfing, writing, etc and 1G if you'll be using media programs extensively (Photoshop, Final Cut, etc). Or perhaps gaming (something I know nothing about).

I think you should get over 3 hours of battery life because that's about what I get doing normal writing and web surfing on my 15"

I do think that unless you absolutely need this computer in the next two weeks, you're crazy not to wait until January 11... I love my newish powerbook but I would have waited if it had been possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.