Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Found a cheap Macbook for parts online (1.83 GHz Core Duo, 1 GB of RAM, no hard drive) and it says that it will not power on due to a bad power board (MagSafe board). I looked it up online and it looks like I am capable of doing such a repair according to iFixit.com (it DOES come with a new power board that I could install, I am rather good when it comes to computer upgrades).

It will also not power on with the battery, the person says, though the battery is in good condition. Could a bad power board be the reason a Macbook will not power on? Would this be a good deal for a person with quite a bit of experience in hardware upgrades (I'm looking at around $100)

Thrnarg

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2010
Short answer, no

If the magsafe power board was faulty then the machine would not charge or power on via the power supply but a working charged battery would work.

It could be that the battery connector and magsafe are both faulty (unlikely) or something else is causing the issue ie mainboard.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Sounds like liquid to me. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, it's age and specs are just not worth the time and money you would need to put in to repair or have it repaired.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.