Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Audioi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2006
Upstate NY
I have a Mac Mini 1.83 Ghz running 10.6.4 that I backup to a 1TB Newer Technologies dedicated drive that will not appear on desktop or finder yet occasionally it backs up the system but not always as scheduled. At first I thought it was a drive issue so the retailer replaced the 1TB drive only with the same results. I have it connected via USB.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Mike

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
I think what has happened here is that the hard drive's visibility bit is set to invisible. This AppleSprite: Controlling Hard Drive Visibility With Onyx article tells how to use OnyX to change a currently visible hard drive to invisible. Follow the instructions in that article but instead of making it invisible, make it visible and your drive should show up.

Audioi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2006
Upstate NY
I think what has happened here is that the hard drive's visibility bit is set to invisible. This AppleSprite: Controlling Hard Drive Visibility With Onyx article tells how to use OnyX to change a currently visible hard drive to invisible. Follow the instructions in that article but instead of making it invisible, make it visible and your drive should show up.

This opened up a whole bag of worms. It displayed faults on my Boot drive!

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
This opened up a whole bag of worms. It displayed faults on my Boot drive!

I don't understand. Changing the visibility of your external hard drive doesn't have anything to do with your boot drive.

Audioi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2006
Upstate NY
I don't understand. Changing the visibility of your external hard drive doesn't have anything to do with your boot drive.

No, when I ran the software it found faults on my boot drive that I need to correct first. I had to locate the OS discs first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.