Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I'm thinking about buying a third-party mouse to use instead of the Apple one. I have some requirements though:

1. Wired (USB) mice only. No Bluetooth mice.
2. I don't want to install any software to use the mouse fully.
3. 2-6 buttons, scroll wheel optional.

Does anyone here know of mice that fit my requirements? If so, which one would you recommend?

P.S. - The computer stores relatively near me that I'd be willing to visit are CompUSA, Micro Center, and an Apple Retail Store. If it can't be found at any of those, I'll be less willing to make the drive there/order it online.

EDIT: Changed my button requirements since I'd try to program the extra buttons to Exposé/Dashboard (in Tiger).

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
wrldwzrd89 said:
I'm thinking about buying a third-party mouse to use instead of the Apple one. I have some requirements though:

1. Wired (USB) mice only. No Bluetooth mice.
2. I don't want to install any software to use the mouse fully.
3. 2-6 buttons, scroll wheel optional.

Does anyone here know of mice that fit my requirements? If so, which one would you recommend?

P.S. - The computer stores relatively near me that I'd be willing to visit are CompUSA, Micro Center, and an Apple Retail Store. If it can't be found at any of those, I'll be less willing to make the drive there/order it online.

EDIT: Changed my button requirements since I'd try to program the extra buttons to Exposé/Dashboard (in Tiger).

To use more than two buttons + scroll wheel (in finder) you need some kind of software, except expose.

I recommend Logitech mx510.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
cluthz said:
To use more than two buttons + scroll wheel (in finder) you need some kind of software, except expose.

I recommend Logitech mx510.
Exposé is all I want the extra buttons for. If I don't need extra software for that, that's just what I needed to know (and wanted to hear). I'd be fine with just 2 buttons, if that would better suit my needs.

Edit: I looked at the mouse you suggested, and it looks like just the thing for my needs. I might fool around with the MouseWare software that comes with it, but most likely I won't need it. Thanks cluthz!

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
i bought a 'wireless' microsoft mouse with a few extra buttons at costco for around $30. the wireless receiver plugs in to a usb port, and then the mouse sends the signal to that. it works really well and i like the weight and sensitivity of the optical mouse.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
gwuMACaddict said:
i bought a 'wireless' microsoft mouse with a few extra buttons at costco for around $30. the wireless receiver plugs in to a usb port, and then the mouse sends the signal to that. it works really well and i like the weight and sensitivity of the optical mouse.
Hmm. Does it need to be configured at all, or does it just connect and work like other Mac products? If it needs to be configured just to work, I won't buy it.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
there was an install cd that took maybe 5 seconds to run...

i know how you feel- i HATE having to install stuff. but this was honestly one product that i've been very please with. and that scroll wheel scrolls sideways too, which i think is pretty cool.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
I've had good experiences with all the Microsoft mice I've used.

No, really! :eek:
On my aged Intellimouse explorer, all 5 buttons work. Even back/forward in Firefox.. it's a bit bulky, but the newer ones fix that. They're also available in androgynous left/right handed versions, too. Everyone else seems to rant over Logitech, though, so *shrug*.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
wrldwzrd89 said:
Exposé is all I want the extra buttons for. If I don't need extra software for that, that's just what I needed to know (and wanted to hear). I'd be fine with just 2 buttons, if that would better suit my needs.

Edit: I looked at the mouse you suggested, and it looks like just the thing for my needs. I might fool around with the MouseWare software that comes with it, but most likely I won't need it. Thanks cluthz!

If expose is all you need then get the MX510.
I have both a logitech MX500 (a few years old) and a MX510, both have worked great and the MX500 still feels like new. Very good build quality, but a bit heavier than an average mouse.

I've had terrible experiences with MS mices. My ms explorer optical died within a year!

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Don't forget to ask the hand

While I'm an Apple mouse fan, myself, and don't have a specific recommendation, I do have a general comment. Tech specs are wonderful and all, but the most important part is how it feels in your hand.

It's kind of like a television remote control. It seems like the least important thing when you're deciding on a TV to buy, but if you get a bad one, you'll spend the next several years hating your TV.

Do your research, and have a few models in mind that you'd be happy spending your money on. Then go to a store, locate those few, put the features and tech specs out of your head entirely, and ask your hand which of those few you've already picked out feels right. Go with that.

Good luck!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
jsalzer said:
While I'm an Apple mouse fan, myself, and don't have a specific recommendation, I do have a general comment. Tech specs are wonderful and all, but the most important part is how it feels in your hand.

It's kind of like a television remote control. It seems like the least important thing when you're deciding on a TV to buy, but if you get a bad one, you'll spend the next several years hating your TV.

Do your research, and have a few models in mind that you'd be happy spending your money on. Then go to a store, locate those few, put the features and tech specs out of your head entirely, and ask your hand which of those few you've already picked out feels right. Go with that.

Good luck!
It's not that I don't like Apple's mice. (Actually, the whole-mouse-is-the-button design gets on my nerves sometimes when I have to pick the mouse up while dragging something, since it's difficult to hold the button down while moving the mouse.) It's just that other members on these forums (you know who you are) have told me about how great mouse buttons for Exposé are, and I wanted to try it for myself. Even if I end up not using the extra buttons now, at least I'll have a right-click and scroll wheel.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
MX 1000

After suffering w/ the Apple "hockey puck" I finally jumped ship. I'm a recent "switcher" (G5) and am used to a mouse w/ lft and rt and scroll wheel. The Apple mouse was just plain irritating to use. I've got BT and really wanted to use it so have been looking for a BT mouse. Logitech MX 900, M$ BT, and RadTech were the ones I looked at. MX 900 does not support Mac's, however I read where some are using it and not having problems. The M$ mouse I could never find w/out buying some M$ bundle and I have heard good and bad reveiws. Again, M$ doesn't expressly support Mac/OSX although it does work on Macs. The RadTech seemed pretty neat but also seemed more suited for a laptop user as it is tiny. I kept running into reports in various forums about the Logitech MX 1000 laser mouse. Although not BT it is wireless (wired base station/charging unit, USB connection), uses new laser tracking, has rechargeable battery with visible led charge indicator, lft/rt button, scroll w/ tilt, and a couple of other buttons. Well, got a Best Buy certificate for Xmas and decided to go get one. A bit pricey but I find that it is a well made unit. Installation was a breeze, came w/ install disc but went to the Logitech website and found that there was a more current version of the LCC and downloaded it and installed. No sweat. Did I mention that Logitech supports this in OSX. Have used it for a day or two and impressions are: nicely made, ergonomics....good shape and placement of buttons, wakes quickly, can't comment on how long it will go between charging as I just got it but no batteries to replace, this mouse is fast. I'm happy. Only negative is that it is a bit $$$$ but seems to be a quality piece and the darn thing works. :D

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
Personally, I too am a big fan of Microsoft mice. I have one of the original Intellimouse Explorer opticals, and it is a great mouse. I peronally like it's slightly larger size. That being said, I would say the best thing to do is head over to your local CompUSA/Best Buy/Circuit City/etc. and try each one. Put your hand on it, move it around, click the buttons. Make sure it is comfortable to you.

Good luck!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
cluthz said:
If expose is all you need then get the MX510.
I have both a logitech MX500 (a few years old) and a MX510, both have worked great and the MX500 still feels like new. Very good build quality, but a bit heavier than an average mouse.

I've had terrible experiences with MS mices. My ms explorer optical died within a year!

Well if that's his requirement, then why not just recommend an MX300 series mouse. Cheaper, and comes with 4 buttons: left and right clicks, the scroll-wheel click button, and the tiny button between the left and right mouse buttons that's perfectly positioned for quick access to Exposé.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Abstract said:
Well if that's his requirement, then why not just recommend an MX300 series mouse. Cheaper, and comes with 4 buttons: left and right clicks, the scroll-wheel click button, and the tiny button between the left and right mouse buttons that's perfectly positioned for quick access to Exposé.

I like the mx500 series much better tan the mx300 series, and (atleast here) the price difference is only about 10%

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
cluthz said:
I like the mx500 series much better tan the mx300 series, and (atleast here) the price difference is only about 10%
Actually, I'd prefer the mx500 series too - since I'd much rather have 6 buttons or 2 buttons than 4 buttons or anything else between 2 and 6.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
I would hold off until MWSF in 2 weeks in case Apple finally do the right thing in the mouse world and release a multibutton/wheel mouse.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
aswitcher said:
I would hold off until MWSF in 2 weeks in case Apple finally do the right thing in the mouse world and release a multibutton/wheel mouse.
More good advice from aswitcher - it's advice I'm going to listen to. Thanks!

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
Are you opposed to trackball mice? I love mine and would never go back. Logitech has some pretty cool ones, starting with the Marble Mouse for $20.

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
jihad the movie said:
the Kensington Studio Mouse. Touch pad scroll wheel, Three buttons, 800dpi for awesome Photoshop accuracy. $20 at http://www.bestbuy.com

Awesome deal, if you find it anywhere else it is like 30-40 bucks! I had the wireless version but it was too heavy for my accuracy needs.

Get the tethered version!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.