Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asazad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
I've had the 1st gen Apple TV since it came out and have loved it. It has worked fine on my 5 year old Sony HDTV. Since this tv does not have HDMI inputs (has an DVI input), i used an HDMI/DVI adapter and this worked fine up till now.

Yesterday i got the new apple TV and tried hooking it up to my tv. But the picture was displayed in 4:3, low resolution (looked to be 480i), and was a little "wavy".

Is the problem that my TV is not compatible with the new apple TV?
Or i was thinking that maybe i need to get a new HDMI/DVI adapter. the one i have is a few years old. are the newer adapters on the market have new/better technology?

thanks for anyones help. i really don't want to have to replace my tv or return my new apple tv :(

asazad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
in case this helps, this is the model of my tv:

Sony Grand WEGA KF-50WE610 50-Inch HDTV

Florida Gator

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2004
I have the same issue, with an older Sony HDTV that has a fully HDCP-compliant, 720p-accepting, DVI input.

Using an HDMI-DVI cable, it will only display 480p content, and defaults to 4:3 (which I expanded using my TV settings). There are also wavy lines on the screen.

I called Apple and spoke to a rep, they treated me like an idiot at first and had me unplug things. Then they put me on hold, came back and told me that the new AppleTV does not support the HDMI-DVI configuration and will not support this configuration. Only HDMI to HDMI.

I mentioned that their own site sells the cable, but he says the 480p still allows me to use the device. I asked why this is happening and he explained that one "loses resolution due to conversion," as though it was some analog process. Doesn't make sense, but whatever, so I am returning it.

Awesome stuff.

ringonbob

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2009
I do not want to return my brand new AppleTV2.* My Sony HD TV supports 720 P, and better, but only has a DVI input.* The Apple Store employees sold me a Belkin HDMI to DVI cable and said that it should work, but I get a wobbly/waterfall effect with the picture.* I have made two calls to Apple Support and they both said that Apple does not support this connection and know of no plans to address this issue.

I have since emailed Steve Jobs, but gotten no redponse. If anyone finds a solution, please advise. Otherwise, I suggest that we all email Steve.

Terry W

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2007
NYC
I called Apple and spoke to a rep, they treated me like an idiot at first and had me unplug things. Then they put me on hold, came back and told me that the new AppleTV does not support the HDMI-DVI configuration and will not support this configuration. Only HDMI to HDMI.

I mentioned that their own site sells the cable, but he says the 480p still allows me to use the device. I asked why this is happening and he explained that one "loses resolution due to conversion," as though it was some analog process.

I had the same issues as folks here on this thread, and have posted on a different apple discussion thread (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2656697&tstart=15). My issue only started AFTER upgrading to the new version of the iOS for ATV2.

From everything I've read, DVI is the same thing as HDMI except it doesn't carry audio (I've used an optical cable for that). I, too, was sold the HDMI>DVI cable in an APPLE STORE when I bought the ATV2 and was told it should work just fine.

The device now only displays at 480 resolution (you can confirm that in the Settings/About menu) even though before the software update it displayed at 720. I don't buy the argument that the resolution is lost due to conversion. Folks need to continue pinging Apple about this issue until they provide a fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.