PDA

View Full Version : why is everyone not loving their ipod touch.

iperson21
Oct 2, 2010, 01:37 PM
i seriously dont understand why everybody is complaining about the ipod touch 4g. some people are even saying that they prefer their 2g over their 4g.
the 4g is better in every aspect.
and don't even complain about the camera.
would you rather have 2 cameras, or no camera?
fine, the ipod touch 4 is inferior to the iPhone 4, but apple makes so much more money off of the iphone 4 over time since they keep part of the money from the contracts... so maybe 500+ for a 16gb iP4, and 600+ for the 32gb model after the 2 year contract.

even if the ipod touch is slower than the iphone 4, its still amazingly fast for a device for that amount of money.
if you think that the ipod touch 4 is too slow for you, go to apple, but an iphone 4, then cancel the contract.
have fun with that -.-

andi242
Oct 2, 2010, 01:49 PM
I'm not complaining.

GekiRed
Oct 2, 2010, 01:52 PM
i seriously dont understand why everybody is complaining about the ipod touch 4g. some people are even saying that they prefer their 2g over their 4g.
the 4g is better in every aspect.
and don't even complain about the camera.
fine, the ipod touch 4 is inferior to the iPhone 4, but apple makes so much more money off of the iphone 4 over time since they keep part of the money from the contracts... so maybe 500+ for a 16gb iP4, and 600+ for the 32gb model after the 2 year contract.

even if the ipod touch is slower than the iphone 4, its still amazingly fast for a device for that amount of money.
if you think that the ipod touch 4 is too slow for you, go to apple, but an iphone 4, then cancel the contract.
have fun with that -.-

Tell me you're joking, right?

Have you been brainwashed or something?

In case you haven't noticed (or have been in Antarctica for the past few weeks), a lot of people have been complaining about the lack of quality control on the new iPod Touch amongst other things (and the fact that it's not as good as the previous ones in various areas)

So what if it's got a slightly faster processor or a crappy camera? Who gives a frak!

For anything up to $399 excluding taxes, you expect a lot more for your money than a crappy camera, slightly improved picture and slightly improved processor!

The people who are complaining have every right (myself included) to be pissed off at Apple (and in some cases, at Steve Jobs in particular!) for the fact that the new iPod Touch isn't the big improvement that it could have been...

If you're happy with the way that the new iPod Touch turned out to be, fine, be my guest, but at the end of the day, people aren't happy at how things have turned out with it, and I can guarantee you that there are quite a few people who won't be buying one next year after the hassles with the new one.

supermassive
Oct 2, 2010, 02:14 PM
Why is everyone opening pointless topics?

I'm pretty happy with the features of the new iPt. The QC on the other hand really sucks with the 4G.

I already sent mine in for repair with obvious lightleaks and they just sent it back unchanged. They claim that tey couldn't reproduce the problem. The next repair is pending as I instantly complained. I'm waiting eagerly whether the replcement-unit will be ok.

Abscissa
Oct 2, 2010, 02:56 PM
So what if it's got a slightly faster processor or a crappy camera? Who gives a frak!

For anything up to $399 excluding taxes, you expect a lot more for your money than a crappy camera, slightly improved picture and slightly improved processor!

Well...if you bought a 1G touch, and then a 2G you did the same thing. Or if you had a 2G and got a 3G. Or a 3G to a 4G. or a 2G to a 4G. Or a 1G to a 3G. And every time you paid the brand new amount. I see the 4G touch as the biggest upgrade out of all the variations.

Get what I'm going at?

NO company makes devices all superior the next time around, then no one would buy the next gen. If the 4G had a 5MP camera, flash, IPS, radio, GPS, 512MB RAM, and so on, why would anyone buy the 5th gen?

I went from a 3G 32GB to a 4G 32GB btw.

Owen.C
Oct 2, 2010, 03:11 PM
Got my first iPod touch today. It's pretty good. Screen is amazing and web browsing is good. Video camera is decent, but stills are as we know; pretty poor.

I need to jailbreak it though. But that's another story :rolleyes:

vanzantapple
Oct 2, 2010, 03:32 PM
Seriously, who said they prefer their 2G over their 4G. You said "some" so I would imagine that would be at least 2 different people.

And yes there have been plenty of complaints about the new Touch.What I don't get is why people who don't have the problems want to bitch about the people who do have the problems. That is insane. Be happy if you don't have problems. Just don't bug the people who do.

My new iPT4 has a small light leak in the volume buttons and the clicking recorded video(wifi ON). IMO not enough to return it.

Seriously, who said they prefer their 2G over their 4G.

GoodBoy
Oct 2, 2010, 03:53 PM

Exactly, I agree 100%. Many new iPod touch owners are too overhyped about 4gen, becasuse of their purchase, so they want to be confident and fully happy about it. They're just too hyped to admit touch 4gen lacks in many areas, but that's their right to stay happy about new toy. However, from the realistic point of view, there's a lot to complain. I've owned touch 1gen, 2gen and 3gen and I'm pissed at what Apple did with 4gen touch. That's definetely not what many people wanted.

cmvsm
Oct 2, 2010, 06:07 PM
I won't be buying it. I still don't understand why Apple cannot make it just like the iPhone 4, but without the phone, and include 3G. If you need a phone, you need a phone, and you'll buy the iPhone. Why is there such a fear of cannibalization? The iPod Touch caters to a different crowd.

I have a Blackberry for work, because they mandate that I use it, but I'm definitely not going to run out to the Apple store and buy an iPhone and have two phones just for the feature set alone. On the other hand, I would buy an Ipod touch for the same features, without the phone bill....

Again, Apple keeps hamstringing the iPod Touch thinking that they will just get consumers to buy the iPhone 4 for the better features...but they've left out those that already have phones, which is a big segment of consumers. Bad move Apple.

whocaresit
Oct 2, 2010, 06:19 PM
BLACKS ARE NOT BLACK. Not happy :(

NT1440
Oct 2, 2010, 06:29 PM
BLACKS ARE NOT BLACK. Not happy :(

Can you take a picture or something? Blacks sure look black on my screen.

Anyway, just got my 4th gen yesterday, theres not too much that is different apart from the awesomely clear screen and camera.

I'm beyond happy with mine. :)

tactician1016
Oct 2, 2010, 06:31 PM
I AM A TROLL. :(
Much better.

Bacong
Oct 2, 2010, 07:03 PM
I am, don't worry

tablo13
Oct 2, 2010, 07:10 PM

It's pretty grey if you compare it with the non-screen part.

4DThinker
Oct 2, 2010, 07:22 PM
i seriously dont understand why everybody is complaining about the ipod touch 4g. some people are even saying that they prefer their 2g over their 4g. My power button stopped working. Now I have to wait for them to send me a replacement. Didn't happen with my 2g.

Now answer me this: Why is it you don't know when to use the shift key to capitalize when appropriate?

NT1440
Oct 2, 2010, 07:24 PM
It's pretty grey if you compare it with the non-screen part.

Um... you sure you aren't one of those guys that is overly sensitive to that kind of thing? My background is mostly black, and to my eyes its black.

whocaresit
Oct 2, 2010, 07:31 PM
Um... you sure you aren't one of those guys that is overly sensitive to that kind of thing? My background is mostly black, and to my eyes its black.

The backlight 'dilutes' the black to grey. :(

EJR
Oct 2, 2010, 08:06 PM
In theory, the 4th gen Ipod Touch is a great little gadget. Problem is, after four tries, I still wasn't able to get one without some kind of defect. From broken buttons to gigantic light leaks, what I had to deal with ran the gamut. Maybe I was just unlucky, but come on.

Regardless, I do have one qualm about the device, and it really stems from the fact that it is a bit too small for my liking. Some people thought that the 2G/3G design wasn't all that great, but from my personal experience, it was a very sturdy gadget. I have fairly large hands, so downsizing the ipod touch only made it harder on me to use it, let alone the fact that it felt about 10x more flimsy.

Barring that problem, I really did like the inclusion of the Retina display. It's a great feature, and it'll be sorely missed as I use a previous generation ipod touch going forward. My cellphone takes much better pics/vids than whatever the ipod touch could take, so that really didn't mean much to me. A4 chip makes things faster, which is great, but I'm pretty sure it also is the culprit for the much hotter temps. My old 2G never got nearly as hot as any of the four 4th gen ipod touches that I used, which is a darn shame. I can wait a few more seconds if it means my hands won't be burning while I'm surfing the internet.

Hopefully next year they'll introduce a new design, but I'm not holding my breathe. Just'll have to make due I guess until 6th gen :rolleyes:.

burgundyyears
Oct 2, 2010, 08:07 PM

Lord, don't encourage them.

burgundyyears
Oct 2, 2010, 08:07 PM
Much better.

Shouldn't he be dropping a plugged in iphone in a bathtub? He asked a question like that over on the iphone forum. :rolleyes:

SnowLeopard2008
Oct 2, 2010, 08:21 PM
I asked my friends who have the new iPod touch to see if they had any of the problems. NONE of them do. This is with 6 different iPod touches purchased at 5 different locations and at different times. No light leaks, no clicking, nothing. I asked for video samples to make sure and pictures of the iPod touch screen on while in a dark room. Nothing. I think people are just looking for any little thing to complain about, whether it's actually there or just superficial.

Bacong
Oct 2, 2010, 08:35 PM
Seriously though, last year it was "pfft. no camera? Apple fails again." This year it's "pfft. .7 MP camera? 720p video? crappy front camera? only 256 MB ram? Apple fails again."

I hate all of you.

GekiRed
Oct 3, 2010, 01:41 AM
Seriously though, last year it was "pfft. no camera? Apple fails again." This year it's "pfft. .7 MP camera? 720p video? crappy front camera? only 256 MB ram? Apple fails again."

I hate all of you.

It's called "complaining"! I'd look it up in a dictionary or Google it if you don't know what a dictionary is!:p

NT1440
Oct 3, 2010, 01:43 AM
I hate all of you.

I chuckled :p

GekiRed
Oct 3, 2010, 01:43 AM
Lord, don't encourage them.

And you're basically saying that people shouldn't be allowed to complain about the product they've spent up to $399 (or more, depending on which part of the world they live in) and it's faulty or other things they find fault with?

You don't work for Herr Jobs by any chance, do you?:p

GoodBoy
Oct 3, 2010, 04:33 AM

Anyway, just got my 4th gen yesterday, theres not too much that is different apart from the awesomely clear screen and camera.

I'm beyond happy with mine. :)
Max out brightness and put some dark or pure black wallpaper or watch some dark movies and you'll see the iPod's screen is incapable of displaying true blacks.

lucifiel
Oct 3, 2010, 04:51 AM
And you're basically saying that people shouldn't be allowed to complain about the product they've spent up to $399 (or more, depending on which part of the world they live in) and it's faulty or other things they find fault with?

Your argument would work if your only gripe was with QC.

But it's not, you're saying the product itself fails to include what you want. But you KNEW that when you went to pay your $400, so why whinge about what you were buying into? If you think the features weren't worth $400, you don't buy the item. You don't go drop $400 and then bitch about having bought something which doesn't have the features you want.

dh2005
Oct 3, 2010, 05:31 AM

Well, as you've asked; I couldn't give a rat's ass about having a camera in an iPod. There's already a camera in my phone (that I never use), and being made to pay for another camera would irritate me.

So, in answer to your question; I'd rather have "no camera".

mattan138
Oct 3, 2010, 05:37 AM
Max out brightness and put some dark or pure black wallpaper or watch some dark movies and you'll see the iPod's screen is incapable of displaying true blacks.

Sounds like a great way to drain the battery in a day.

Of course, full brightness will show the iPod is incapable of true blacks, but who actually has that maxed out?

Most everyone I know has it set pretty low - roughly 30~45% - and everything looks sweet.

Bacong
Oct 3, 2010, 08:15 AM
Sounds like a great way to drain the battery in a day.

Of course, full brightness will show the iPod is incapable of true blacks, but who actually has that maxed out?

Most everyone I know has it set pretty low - roughly 30~45% - and everything looks sweet.

I have it maxed out. I'm not going to use all the battery life in one day anyway.

Bleak
Oct 3, 2010, 09:21 AM
I had a 1st gen ipod touch and a 3rd gen ipod touch, bought the new one on launch day and I thought it was pretty awesome. Speed was pretty nice, the screen was awesome, so I returned it the next day! I honestly dislike the feel of it, it is way too thin and it's a pain in the ass to press the sleep or volume buttons. The way they made it slant to the back is completely retarded. I bought an iPhone 4 and have no complaints :)

burgundyyears
Oct 3, 2010, 12:12 PM

You don't work for Herr Jobs by any chance, do you?:p

Oh, I have no problem with people posting with genuine QC issues like ill-put together Touches (although the ability of anyone in the forum to help with that will be limited at best). But to get on the forum and whine about the amount of RAM or the type of screen it has or, god forbid, how the screen unlocks, is just really stupid. I can only conclude that people who do that must hate themselves to (supposedly) pay all that money to buy a product and then start to complain about some feature they knew or should have known it had.

easy4lif
Oct 5, 2010, 01:21 PM
love my 64gb 4g in every way

Outrun1986
Oct 5, 2010, 09:35 PM
Complaining about faults is legitimate if you already have the product but if you don't like the product and the price its at then don't complain about it. You can look up the features and specs online, play with a demo unit and then make your decision. I never bought any of the other iPod touch generations because I didn't think they were worth it, and I thought they were overpriced for what they were. So I didn't buy them. If you don't like it vote with your money and don't buy it. The only things that doesn't make this one overpriced is the cameras, built in mic, and facetime, and the fact it is a huge upgrade from the 3rd gen for the same price as the 3rd gen if you buy the 32 or 64GB.

Black Belt
Oct 5, 2010, 09:56 PM
So you're surprised that any upgrade made by Apple these days is nothing but mediocre? Where have you been? That is the way Jobs runs the joint to milk you for every penny suckahs!

Having skipped gens 1-3, the 4 is actually quite nice despite the **** camera. The battery life is better but still not great. They should stop with the "thinness" fetish [...] and make the thing a little beefier so you can have BETTER components and longer life. Thinness buys you nothing but grief.

NT1440
Oct 5, 2010, 10:08 PM

Why would that concern me when I never use it on full brightness (that'd burn out my eyes) and I'm not anal about how black my blacks are.

Seriously, best looking mobile screen I've ever used.

burgundyyears
Oct 5, 2010, 10:15 PM
Why would that concern me when I never use it on full brightness (that'd burn out my eyes) and I'm not anal about how black my blacks are.

Seriously, best looking mobile screen I've ever used.

Oh, I'd readily say that iPhone 4 has a better screen technically, but for actual use and reading, I don't discern much of a difference. Given the options of carrying the same screen forward, putting in the IPS screen at higher cost, or this screen, I think this was a reasonable compromise.

girlie
Oct 5, 2010, 10:39 PM
mine has a defective battery

NT1440
Oct 5, 2010, 10:41 PM
Oh, I'd readily say that iPhone 4 has a better screen technically, but for actual use and reading, I don't discern much of a difference. Given the options of carrying the same screen forward, putting in the IPS screen at higher cost, or this screen, I think this was a reasonable compromise.
Hence my wording "I've ever used" ;)

tablo13
Oct 5, 2010, 11:19 PM

I don't get why people will set the brightness to the LOWEST. :confused: I have it set at about 80% because the maximum is too bright for me. I like that it's thin, but the way they made it
SLANTED on the sides, I don't get it. It's hard to get a grip like that. It feels much better when I hold an iPhone 4.

tubemonkey
Oct 6, 2010, 01:52 AM

Which leads me to question Apple's judgment. If the touch's display is more than adequate, why did Apple waste money on the iPhone's IPS display?

Alaerian
Oct 6, 2010, 04:38 AM
Which leads me to question Apple's judgment. If the touch's display is more than adequate, why did Apple waste money on the iPhone's IPS display?
Standard definition televisions are adequate, so why do people waste money on high definition?
Basically, because they can :)

xxxamazexxx
Oct 6, 2010, 10:44 AM
I can't resist chiming in that the two cameras (rear and front) are of the same quality.

You've got 2 HD cameras a flawlessly vibrant screen and an efficient pocket computer all in one device that costs a few hundred - what's more to ask for ?

It's funny that I don't see any complaints about the pricey iPhone 4 whose production cost may be just $50 greater than that of the iPod touch but which is twice as expensive in retail price. THAT, IS THE REAL RIPOFF.

tubemonkey
Oct 6, 2010, 12:23 PM
You've got 2 HD cameras a flawlessly vibrant screen and an efficient pocket computer all in one device that costs a few hundred - what's more to ask for ?

How about an auto-focusing camera like the iPhone has?

Google Goggles was just released and it only supports iPhone 3GS and 4. Why? The app requires an auto-focusing camera.

mchad
Oct 6, 2010, 12:39 PM
I can't resist chiming in that the two cameras (rear and front) are of the same quality.

It's funny that I don't see any complaints about the pricey iPhone 4 whose production cost may be just $50 greater than that of the iPod touch but which is twice as expensive in retail price. THAT, IS THE REAL RIPOFF.

Nobody has to pay full retail price because it is subsidized by AT&T

Panther71
Oct 6, 2010, 04:19 PM
mine has a defective battery

How do you know or tell that you have a battery that is defective?

Alaerian
Oct 6, 2010, 04:24 PM
Nobody has to pay full retail price because it is subsidized by AT&T
Quite wrong. Plenty of people in the US pay full price to avoid being locked into contract. Also, it's common to pay full price in other countries.