Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daaaaaan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
I just set-up the new apple tv, and everything works fine (connected to my home network, got my photos to sync up, entire iTunes Library syncs up, etc...) but I'm confused on this:

I am able to access all of my iTunes library via the apple TV UI. But when I am on my macbook pro, the only thing I can get to play on apple TV using the macbook pro is audio from my iTunes account...when I go to play a video, and even have "apple tv" selected on the bottom right hand corner nothing plays on the apple tv...the video just plays on the computer even though "apple tv" is selected.....

Is this right? Is only audio able to be "streamed" from my computer to apple TV? And any video (from youtube, computer, etc....) has to be accessed via the apple TV UI?

bukiwhitey

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2009
You need to select your computer while in the apple tv ui. I do not think you can send it from your mbp to the atv.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
You're wanting to do AirPlay video from iTunes on your Mac/PC and that is not supported yet. It may be coming in iOS 4.2. The Apple TV currently runs iOS 4.1. AirPlay audio (formerly AirTunes) is only available in iOS 4.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.