Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jenw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
I'm so perplexed! I just got a new 20GB ipod! (so beautiful).
I charged it for around 4 hours ~until it said charged on the screen
then i made sure the backlight was off and the equalizer was off too (since i read that help preserve the battery!).
i loaded some songs and i know i did wander around through the list and ocasionally chose a song instead of just letting it go to the next on it's own
but it lasted some where between 2 and 3 hours! I thought it's supposed to last 12! (i'm pretty disappointed and confused).
also i made sure that it was off and used the hold button to make sure that it woudn;t turn on.

does anyone have any advice?
should i get a new one?
is it me? can anyone see what i've done wrong!?

thanks so much for any help! ( i really appreciate it)

(oh i don't know if this will help but i've added alot of songs now and i'm using it with windows)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Let it run down then give it a full change for at least 12hrs (hell, leave it 24hrs). Most batteries require a long first charge to get full life out of them on future regular charges. Worth a shot.

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
battery

i thought my 3 gen 40gb ipod was doing this but after giving it a full charge and playing it continusly it lasted 7 hours to the tee ,so time ur ipod and if it still does not perform better send it back to apple !!!

jenw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
thanks for your help!
i've got to try them!
i'm even more frustrated!
i let it charge over night and i thought that would help but i only used it for 45 min then a few hours later i come back and it's dead!
it's like the battery thinks it's on even when it's off!
and now the time has changed and it thinks it's jan 1st, 2000! (and a few hours ago it was the correct time and date just as it was right out of the box!)
~my ipod is crazy!

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
jenw: At this point, I think you should just send it in to Apple and get it repaired or replaced (my preference is in that order). More than likely, Apple will send you a brand new unit overnight and will fix your broken iPod and sell it as refurbished to somebody else.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
I would suggest doing a Restore. Plug it into your computer, and use the software off Apple's website, because its the latest version, and flash the iPod back to factory defaults. Then plug it into the wall with the charger and leave it for a couple of hours. Then if it is still defective, return it to your local Apple store if possible, or call Apple.

DougJrS

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2004
Kansas City
If you just got it why would you send it back to Apple? I would take it back to the store were you got it and get them to replace it.

Just my 2 cents.
Doug

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.