Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seubs070

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
Just got back from the Apple store with my new apple TV. The guy in the store said the remote was bluetooth. Does anyone know if the new ATV has an IR receiver. Can I set up my Harmony remote to work with it?

Thanks!

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
It does have an IR receiver as the old white remotes work fine with the new Apple TV.

Seubs070

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
Awesome news.

So has anyone setup a Harmony remote to work with one yet? Does harmony have a profile from them or do you need to use the learning function?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I remember reading that some people have gotten their Harmony remotes working with them. If the remote has a setting for the old Apple TV it'll still work as they have the exact IR codes.

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2008
I use a Harmony 900. It worked fine with the old Apple TV and worked with the new one without the need for reprogramming. 'Same IR codes, as mentioned.

The iPhone remote app is also stellar!

JeffLebowski41

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
I use a harmony 676 with mine. No problems. For music and YouTube I use the remote app since it's more efficient for searches.

HT Guy

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2009
I have a Harmony One that I setup for the ATV2. It works great. Just setup the device as a media center computer, brand is Appple and the device as Apple TV.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
The remote with it is not Bluetooth and if you have a Mac in the same room it will try and bring up content on it ... Annoying!

My solution as I have an iphone and ipad was the Apple remote App!

It is really cool and runs off the wifi network!

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
The remote with it is not Bluetooth and if you have a Mac in the same room it will try and bring up content on it ... Annoying!

You can unpair the remote with your Mac's so that they are not controlled with the remote. That way when you use the remote it will only effect the Apple TV.

Seubs070

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
Thanks! Got it working with my harmony pretty easily. Now I can use the Apple TV remote with my mac mini in the bedroom, Although it doesn't seem to be working real well. (Takes multiple button presses to do anything)

hansenc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2004
Yeah the guy at the apple store told me it was bluetooth also. I corrected him and he didn't seem to believe me.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto

i just turned off the IR in my mac not to have this problem

I had 3 macs in one room at one time and this was driving me crazy, until I found the solution

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.