PDA

View Full Version : G5 1.8 Single turns on but doesn't run the system

macacao
Oct 2, 2010, 05:57 PM
Hello, I bought this Mac G5 1.8 Single I believe in 2003. She was working perfectly and suddenly a couple of years ago she started to increase the cooling fans. Later when there was a power failure from the authorities she couldn't start first in a day and then maybe in a couple of days later or a week. Now, I have a new computer but still want to recover a couple of things from her and try to fix it so I can use it for another minor stuff.

She starts when I press the power button, I hear all the machine starting but I don't hear the chord sound telling me that she's booting. Then the white light in the power button starts to flash. The monitor stays black.

What should I do? What is happening to my computer?

:)

alust2013
Oct 2, 2010, 06:20 PM
That sounds like a bad logic board, so it's essentially toast. I'd pull the hard drive(s) and use a dock or enclosure to get the data from them.

sysiphus
Oct 3, 2010, 08:14 PM
That sounds like a bad logic board, so it's essentially toast. I'd pull the hard drive(s) and use a dock or enclosure to get the data from them.

Probably so. You might as well try re-seating RAM and pulling all non-Apple RAM just in case, but those aren't the usual symptoms for RAM problems. Still, can't hurt to try, for the 5min it takes.

raysfan81
Oct 3, 2010, 08:38 PM
Probably so. You might as well try re-seating RAM and pulling all non-Apple RAM just in case, but those aren't the usual symptoms for RAM problems. Still, can't hurt to try, for the 5min it takes.

I believe I read somewhere that bad ram can cause no chime and a flashing power button light. I'll look around for it.

PowerGamerX
Oct 3, 2010, 09:59 PM
I believe I read somewhere that bad ram can cause no chime and a flashing power button light. I'll look around for it.

I don't know the situation with G5's, but I know the light flashes and the machine also beeps 3 times on my powerbook