PDA

View Full Version : Why is Google Earth slow?

Piggie
Oct 3, 2010, 03:58 AM
Firstly let me say, year of course in the grand scheme of it's a technical miracle that I can view the planet whilst sitting in the back garden and if you could show someone from the past this such as Christopher Columbus his jaw would hit the floor.

However what I'm wondering is what technical reason is there for it to run nowhere near as nice or be any where as nice a program as it is on a desktop ?

We can all see it's been heavily cut down for the iPad into just a pretty viewing program. All the rest of the program has been stripped out.

So we have CPU speed, GPU speed and network speed.

I have about 26 mb/sec wifi speed which I believe is around the most you can get on the iPad. I have read that something about the internal wifi design means that whilst it is an N device it cannot actually run at full N speeds.

But still that seems faster than needs to be for google earth to run smooth.

I can therefore only guess it's down to 3 things.

1. Perhaps more ram would have allowed the program to be larger and not cut down. Also perhaps more memory would allow data to be cached to give a smoother display.

2. CPU speed is just not enough.

3. GPU speed is just not enough.

Or course my desktop machine is an order of magnitude more powerful than the iPad so I know I'm expecting the impossible and it's amazing it works at all. I'm just wondering what the biggest factors are when it comes to running heavyweight apps like this are. And hopefully over the next few years it will get faster and faster.

iPhone1
Oct 3, 2010, 08:05 AM
It's the lack of RAM. Google Earth has a whole lot of information to load on only 256MB of RAM.

Coukos34
Oct 3, 2010, 10:56 AM
Yea I would have to agree. Apple really "choked" the iPad with 256mb of ram. I don't care what anyone says either. It should have had 512 just like the iPhone.