Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sentros

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2009
Finland
Hello Adam

I've had a lot of Western Digitals internal and external hard drives and I've been pleased with the bang for buck ratio. The model that you linked will undoubtedly work with your mac, but I would seriously get an external drive with a Firewire port rather than USB.

The reason is that Firewire is much faster than USB. Even if you only have a Firewire 400 port which in theory is slower than USB 2.0 in reality it is faster due to USB protocol being very inefficient. If you have a Firewire 800 port it's even faster. I think the only reason why you would prefer to connect an external HD via USB is because you might not want to use an additional power cable. Firewire does not supply devices with their operating voltage (afaik).

I actually have one of those Western Digitals external Firewire hard drives. The My Book Studio to be specific (I use it for my time machine backups). It came with the power adapter and Firewire cable (and adapter from 800 -> 400). It's been working nicely thus far.

cobrasneverdie

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
I use western digital and so does my brother, reliable hd's, so it seems.

Mine however is not firewire, but no complains I don't transfer a lot of data over. I just back up my mac and store my music on it.

get a 2tb!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.