Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
I needed to upgrade my MacBook 2009 and was considering a MacBook Pro or an SSD drive. I chose the SSD drive (OWC). I'd heard how much faster they were, but I can hardly believe how much of a difference it's made. It feels like a completely different computer. In fact, now my Mac Pro early 2008 seems kind of slow (at least in terms of responsiveness). The Macbook boots up in like 20 seconds. It's almost faster booting up than it was waking up from sleep before the SSD. Best $300 I've spent on a computer. Now I'm thinking of getting an SSD for a boot drive on my Mac Pro.

Abscissa

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
VA
Faster than waking up from sleep? I understand it's an exxageration but my macbook wakes up from sleep and is connected to wifi in 6 seconds...

But thanks for the insight, I plan on buying more RAM and doing a HD upgrade. I think it's smarter than buying a new laptop. Not sure if I wanna blow big bucks on a SSD though...I'm thinking 4GB of RAM from 1GB and like a 320GB or 500GB HD from a 120 will be a big improvement.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Faster than waking up from sleep? I understand it's an exxageration but my macbook wakes up from sleep and is connected to wifi in 6 seconds...

But thanks for the insight, I plan on buying more RAM and doing a HD upgrade. I think it's smarter than buying a new laptop. Not sure if I wanna blow big bucks on a SSD though...

Yes, exaggeration but honestly not by that much. The 120 GB SSD is <$300 at OWC, and since my MB isn't my main computer, I don't need a lot of hard drive space.

darrellishere

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007

But thanks for the insight, I plan on buying more RAM and doing a HD upgrade. I think it's smarter than buying a new laptop. Not sure if I wanna blow big bucks on a SSD though...I'm thinking 4GB of RAM from 1GB and like a 320GB or 500GB HD from a 120 will be a big improvement.

your mackbook sounds quit old, so the ssd would be a waist as your limited to 1.5gb transfer speed. 4gb ram and a larger 7200rmp drive/snowleopard will give it some life!

also check if u can upgrade to 4gb, not all macbooks can.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
your mackbook sounds quit old, so the ssd would be a waist as your limited to 1.5gb transfer speed. 4gb ram and a larger 7200rmp drive/snowleopard will give it some life!

The OP said it was from 2009. That's not that old... I don't think fully utilizing a 1.5Gbps transfer rate would be a waste.

al2o3cr

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2009

Transfer rate is good, but the SSD really shines in the kind of thing that starting up an OS does: lots of random, small reads in succession. I tested the stock 250GB drive my 2010 MBP came with and got <1 MB/s on 4k random reads. The SSD (the 240 GB from OWC) clears almost 20 MB/s; granted, still a significant drop from it's peak of 240MB/s+, but it makes a HUGE difference to startup time.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
The OP said it was from 2009. That's not that old... I don't think fully utilizing a 1.5Gbps transfer rate would be a waste.

The OP isn't the one that posted what darre replied to.

And, yes I agree, it's not a waste to put an SSD on a 1.5 Gbps channel because even most 7200rpm drives can't saturate that.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
Welcome to the club. Had mine for two and a half years now, still have one of the first OCZ models that came out chugging along. Goes well with 6GB RAM too. :D

Attachments

• 6GB RAM.png
    6GB RAM.png
    91.7 KB · Views: 83
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.