Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluemotionvideo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
Hello there,
I'm new to this forum and hope I posted this on the right place!?

I want to make professional looking designs for my DVDs. Now I have heard a lot about LightScribe, it's great - it's bad ... I simply am confused about so much controversial information. What is really better?
I have for a choice: LG burner with Verbatim lightScribe DVDs (that's the only brand available here in Mexico) or I can buy an Epson Stylus T50. I would be happy about your professional comments. Does anybody know if printing on DVDs uses a lot of ink? Does the DVD printing work with refilled ink?

Thanks for your infos and ideas!

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
Never really had great success with lightscribe.

In theory, its a great idea. They do look nice, but I think printed discs look considerably better.

Lightscribe discs take quite a while to create, in the same drive your burning the disc from. So if your doing multiple discs, it really slows down. And the darker you want the label, the longer it takes.

And when the label is done, I've had the color fade with fingerprints rather easily.

My vote would be for the Epson printer. At higher print quality, the discs are going to take more ink to print, just like paper prints. And as long as the refills use quality ink, I don't see why you couldn't use that.

Good luck-

bluemotionvideo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
epson T50

Thank you so much for your answer!!! i haven't considered yet that the print might actually fade! so better to look into a printer.

do you, or does anybody know that specific printer Epson T50? is it any good? unfortunately there is not a huge choice here in Mexico, mainly this line of Epson printers and 1 HP that i found.

Never really had great success with lightscribe.

In theory, its a great idea. They do look nice, but I think printed discs look considerably better.

Lightscribe discs take quite a while to create, in the same drive your burning the disc from. So if your doing multiple discs, it really slows down. And the darker you want the label, the longer it takes.

And when the label is done, I've had the color fade with fingerprints rather easily.

My vote would be for the Epson printer. At higher print quality, the discs are going to take more ink to print, just like paper prints. And as long as the refills use quality ink, I don't see why you couldn't use that.

Good luck-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.