PDA

View Full Version : ? about adding memory to a G3 333 iMac. Is it worth it?

amberashby
Dec 27, 2004, 07:37 PM
Hi,

Someone just gave me an old Tangerine G3 333 iMac. I already have a Powermac G5 and am thinking about setting this up in another room just for internet/email. It doesn't have the minimum ram right now to run OS X.

If I upgrade it to 256K would it run OSX well enough to surf the net and do email?

Also, when I opened the case I see what looks like 2 slots for memory. They aren't in the same place though. One slot is under a metal cage right next to a heat sink, and there is another off to the side. They aren't the same type of memory chips though. What is this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

jackieonasses
Dec 27, 2004, 07:45 PM
Hi,

Someone just gave me an old Tangerine G3 333 iMac. I already have a Powermac G5 and am thinking about setting this up in another room just for internet/email. It doesn't have the minimum ram right now to run OS X.

If I upgrade it to 256K would it run OSX well enough to surf the net and do email?

Also, when I opened the case I see what looks like 2 slots for memory. They aren't in the same place though. One slot is under a metal cage right next to a heat sink, and there is another off to the side. They aren't the same type of memory chips though. What is this?

Thanks in advance for any help. Just telling you, 256 wont be enough either. go as much as the max is. 768 maybe? Someone else will know, but 256 will be soooo slow it will be pitiful.

kyle

varmit
Dec 27, 2004, 10:25 PM
This would be a good way to help stretch the life of the iBook. It wont screem, but on a iBook G3 600, Panther is not that slow at all.

ChrisFromCanada
Dec 27, 2004, 10:42 PM
This would be a good way to help stretch the life of the iBook. It wont screem, but on a iBook G3 600, Panther is not that slow at all.

Its an iMac not an iBook

And I would say your best value is either 256Mb (2 x 128) or 384Mb (1 x 128, 1 x 256) any more and you are giving your computer more RAM than it is worth and your bottleneck will be on the processor.

Also don't forget to upgrade your firmware before you load OS X on it!

amberashby
Dec 27, 2004, 11:04 PM
Its an iMac not an iBook

And I would say your best value is either 256Mb (2 x 128) or 384Mb (1 x 128, 1 x 256) any more and you are giving your computer more RAM than it is worth and your bottleneck will be on the processor.

Also don't forget to upgrade your firmware before you load OS X on it!

So there are 2 memory slots? I see what looks like 2 slots, but they are in different places and the cards that are already in there are not interchangeable.

mikeyfern
Dec 27, 2004, 11:35 PM
This is from http://www.lowendmac.com/imacs/imac-d.shtml

"RAM: 32 MB, expandable to 384 MB using SO-DIMM SDRAM (3.3V, unbuffered, 64-bit, 144-pin, 100 MHz or faster, 10ns) in two DIMM sockets (256 MB on top, 128 MB on bottom), top DIMM socket accepts 2" DIMM, bottom socket takes 1.5" DIMM"

here's an article about running OS X on these iMacs:

http://www.lowendmac.com/macdan/04/0907.html

Mechcozmo
Dec 27, 2004, 11:45 PM

It still would be helpful to have 512MB in there. That way, because the processor can't get to things as fast, they can sit in RAM and wait. Also, programs can be loaded into RAM so that there is no reading of off the hard drive, which would slow down the Mac even more.

Linkety (http://www.everymac.com) has specs for a lot of Macs. Check there. It's a nice site for Mac users...

kewpid
Dec 27, 2004, 11:46 PM

Thanks in advance for any help.

There are two slots for memory, and both are within that metal cage.

The slot that is to the side is for Video memory. Don't try and fit RAM in there :)

There are som good instructions and photos here to help you: http://www.djonmac.com/

amberashby
Dec 28, 2004, 06:24 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm going to order one 256K DIMM for $35 and see how it works.

brap
Dec 28, 2004, 07:12 AM
I'm going to order one 256K DIMM for $35
;) :D :p (Sorry... couldn't resist)

amberashby
Dec 28, 2004, 07:19 AM
;) :D :p (Sorry... couldn't resist)

Oops. I know it is an old mahine, but not quite that old. :o