PDA

View Full Version : Ipod did NOT back up my data before updating

commiejoe81
Oct 4, 2010, 01:54 AM
How is it that you are all so complacent about Apple's control over your personal property?

I purchased this device, therefore it is mine, and I can put whatever I wish onto it.
Where in the manual does it say that Apple has the authority to erase all of my information if I upgrade the software?

I had a year's worth of biomedical lectures, tons of photo research, and surgical instruction videos on my Ipod. I clicked "Backup" before updating it to the new software. Now, it is all gone, and when I right-click and restore from backup, it doesn't do anything of the kind.

Has anyone started a class action lawsuit yet over Apple's intrusion of privacy?
What software company in their right mind erases all of a client's data from a simple upgrade?

Mr Slippy IV
Oct 4, 2010, 01:59 AM
The iPod has to be wiped clean before the OS can be deleted and a new one inserted. I see no intrusion or invasion of privacy here, as you could have easily deleted the backup after updating. That's not to say it worked, but either way, one backup and one solution to a problem is never enough. Apple doesn't own or control your data, you do, and the backup is salvageable, guaranteed.

commiejoe81
Oct 4, 2010, 02:36 AM
I did not delete the backup at all.
Itunes did not backup the data.
Apple had no right to delete the hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars worth of research data from MY storage unit.
Since when does simply updating DELETE all of the stored information?
Whenever I updated windows, I never had a problem with microsoft formatting my hard drives.
This all happened within minutes of each process.
"Update available for your ipod" ok, update;
"Do you want to BACKUP your data before update?" yes, click backup.
After the update has been installed, everything is gone.
Even trying to restore from the backup I JUST made does nothing.

If I plug an external hard drive into a computer, do I expect all the information on it to be deleted, just because it's not "synced" with that computer?
No.

Seriously, do you mac user's not see how little control you have over your own personal property? You probably don't, because you're not used to it.

It's absolutely ridiculous that to upgrade an operating system, the whole disk has to be formatted.
Is there no such thing as file structure on a macintosh?
When I updated windows 95 to 98, nothing went wrong. Updating from 98 to ME, didnt have to format or delete anything, everything was preserved. From ME to XP, had no problems, even though the file system changed from FAT32 to NTFS. Even now, Going to each version of windows, i had no loss of data, even though they were major changes.
Are you just USED to the fact that when Apple changes something, you need to prepare for tornado season and board up the windows?

Maybe you can explain to me EXACTLY how an update to the OS on my ipod affects files stored in different areas on the drive.

Disregarding the diatribe above, I will have to find a way to recover the data myself, since Apple has not instituted any sort of function into the controlling program itunes.

Maybe someone can tell me how to set the ipod touch as a hard disk, so i can try to access it without itunes.

Bacong
Oct 4, 2010, 02:50 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

no ones going to help you when you storm in here with a big attitude insinuating Mac users are all sheep and unaware of how little control we have over our data or whatever. frankly, with your attitude I don't care that your data got deleted.

tablo13
Oct 4, 2010, 04:50 PM
If it was THAT important, maybe you should've backed it up the way other than the backup in iTunes.