Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the weekend, Valve announced the official launch date for Left 4 Dead 2 for Mac as well as acknowledgement of when the original in the series would be coming.

Left 4 Dead 2 will be released for the Mac on Tuesday, October 5th. Existing PC owners will be able to download it for free through Steam. The original Left 4 Dead port for Mac is still seeing some delays, but they hope for it to come by Halloween.
Sorry Left 4 Dead owners, the Mac version is coming but we are running a little late. We hope to have it out in time to celebrate Halloween on the Mac. When released, L4D1 Mac players will receive the same great treatment. All the previous released updates and DLC for free and the ability to play an extensive library of community content. More information on the release date as it nears.
The October 5th was previously teased when Valve announced that a downloadable add-on called The Sacrifice would be available for PC, XBox 360 and Mac on that date.

Article Link: Left for Dead 2 for Mac Coming Tuesday

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
No PS3 port? But why?! :(

Probably because the PS3 != Mac ;)

Cant believe people still use a PS3....its all about the Xbox - the 1 thing MS got right!

(for the record, I own both but as you probably guessed, dislike the PS3)

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
Excellent news - L4D and L4D2 are great games, and the fact that titles like these are being ported has finally persuaded me to switch to Mac!!

...not to mention the fact that I already have Steam, so these will be free for me, and so will the recent DLC! :D

eizzumdm

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2002
Princeton, NJ
Civ V

Valve would get my $60 in a heartbeat for a Mac version of Civilization V, but a zombie shooter really isn't something that I would purchase. It is wonderful, though, to see Valve promoting cross-platform development with their Steam product.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Still gonna run it on Windows, just because it will run faster.

Valve would get my $60 in a heartbeat for a Mac version of Civilization V, but a zombie shooter really isn't something that I would purchase. It is wonderful, though, to see Valve promoting cross-platform development with their Steam product.

Valve isn't in charge of Civ5.

vile

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
Probably because the PS3 != Mac ;)

Cant believe people still use a PS3....its all about the Xbox - the 1 thing MS got right!

(for the record, I own both but as you probably guessed, dislike the PS3)

Have to disagree with you there. I think xbox controllers are horrid...
I own a xbox360 & ps3 either but I do have to say I prefer my Ps3 (Heavy rain etc. just like the games better)

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween

So Microsoft's successes get them billions of dollars in Debt and involve buying/paying off game studios and game titles?

The PS3 port of TF2 sucked.. I hate to think how they'd ruin L4D!

The Orange Box port for PS3 was done by EA, not Valve. Also didn't Valve say at E3 that the PS3 will be getting steam, maybe proper ports will be done htne.

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
I never said Valve did dude. I just hope that *if* a port of L4D2 is made, that it doesn't suck..! If PS3 does get Steam, then all the better - maybe I won't have to re-buy it for that platform either! :D

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

Civ V is coming, it was accidentally posted on Aspyr's website (and then taken down.)

kAoTiX

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Midlands, UK
3 tanks!!!!
I like how Valve is really making an effort to bring popular gaming titles such as this to Mac.
For once, users have a choice of platform rather than being tied to a PC for gaming.

I for one, however, are a PC gamer but I welcome Mac gamers with open arms.

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
Obviously because of the controller handicap. First person shooters are meant for mouse+keyboard, not joysticks and buttons.

Only really a handicap if you are having cross-platform multiplayer (and I'm talking console vs PC&Mac) - I used to agree that FPS were best on PC, but I've had endless fun the past few months playing Bad Company 2 on my PS3 - still not bored of it! :)

jmull

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Don't bother. Games on the Mac is dead despite Steam. Call me when Modern Warfare 2 or Black Ops plays at all on a Mac, even slow.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Excellent news. This'll make my LAN games a bit less hassle. :)

As for a PS3 version, Valve have made it clear that their proper PS3 support starts as of Portal 2.. Maybe the PS3 will see L4D games after that. TBH though the console versions are nowhere near as nice as the PC (and Mac?) versions anyway so who cares. It doesnt take a high end PC to run L4D much better than the 360 version.

Lame to see the console wars even on here, they're all great, successful machines.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Only really a handicap if you are having cross-platform multiplayer (and I'm talking console vs PC&Mac) - I used to agree that FPS were best on PC, but I've had endless fun the past few months playing Bad Company 2 on my PS3 - still not bored of it! :)

You know why they don't do console-PC multiplayer? Because a keyboard and mouse are significantly better than a controller. Microsoft tested this and found that console gamers would get destroyed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.