PDA

View Full Version : Using Titanium LCD for G3 Tower

blakemedwards
Dec 27, 2004, 10:26 PM
Recently the monitor for my G3 tower started making a popping noise and sparked out the back every time that it was turned on. It was kinda cool and scary, but now it it doesn't work it at all... But the real question...

Now, I want to get all of the data off of the G3 desktop computer, but also want to be able to use the LCD monitor that is on my Titanium G4 laptop for the G3 desktop. Is this possible? If so, how do I do it.

I currently can't change any settings on the G3 tower, since I don't have a monitor to see what I am doing. I do have full access to everything on the G4 Titanium, which is running 10.3.5.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ChrisFromCanada
Dec 27, 2004, 10:30 PM
You are best off using Firewire target disk mode.

Hold the T key down on the keyboard while booting and have a firewire cable connected to the PowerBook. The G3's hard drive will come up on the powerbook and you can copy your files over.

blakemedwards
Dec 27, 2004, 10:38 PM
Any other options? I have tried connecting the two with a monitor cable and have also tried directly connecting via Ethernet cable, with no avail. I was hoping that there may just be something I am missing...

Mechcozmo
Dec 27, 2004, 11:47 PM
The TiBook monitor uses a special cable to connect to the computer's motherboard. It isn't VGA like you would know it, or DVI as you know it.

Restart the G3 while holding "T" and after it has started up (give it, oh say, 3 minutes) connect it to your TiBook via FireWire. It should show up on your TiBook as an extra hard drive.

The Exile
Dec 28, 2004, 12:42 AM
Sorry to bring the bad news but the G3 tower cannot use target disk mode. I say bum a monitor from a friend or somewhere just so you can turn on file sharing.

ChrisFromCanada
Dec 28, 2004, 09:59 AM
Sorry to bring the bad news but the G3 tower cannot use target disk mode. I say bum a monitor from a friend or somewhere just so you can turn on file sharing.

Oh ya you are right I remember I tried this once and the B&W won't boot to firewire Target disk mode. It is too old.

Just bum an old monitor from a friend.

Dreadnought
Dec 28, 2004, 11:32 AM
You are right, you can't make a target disk mode out of the G3, just tried... But is it possible for the G3 B&W to do IP through firewire? I'm trying that know, but I don't seem to succeed. My network is: Cablemodem to my G5 and my G3 B&W connected to my G5 through firewire. The G3 is getting an IP address when I set up the Network prefs. But I can't seem to connect from my G5 to the G3 when I search for that IP address.

Mechcozmo
Dec 28, 2004, 12:37 PM
Oh ya you are right I remember I tried

I thought any Open Firmware based Mac could do it... are the old G3s not OF based?

rhpenguin
Dec 28, 2004, 01:54 PM
I thought any Open Firmware based Mac could do it... are the old G3s not OF based?

That capability did not come along till the AGP series of G4 Powermacs.

The Exile
Dec 28, 2004, 02:46 PM
You are right, you can't make a target disk mode out of the G3, just tried... But is it possible for the G3 B&W to do IP through firewire? I'm trying that know, but I don't seem to succeed. My network is: Cablemodem to my G5 and my G3 B&W connected to my G5 through firewire. The G3 is getting an IP address when I set up the Network prefs. But I can't seem to connect from my G5 to the G3 when I search for that IP address.

Actually I looked into that too when my monitor blew. But I didn't get to far. This is when I grabbed my girlfriends monitor.

Dreadnought
Dec 28, 2004, 02:54 PM

The chipset of the firewire in the G3 is an older one, or a first version. Therefore it isn't compatible with a lot of things, unfortunately...

Dave00
Dec 28, 2004, 03:18 PM
You may not be able to do target disk mode on the old B&W G3's, i"m not sure... but it's possible on the G3 iMac under OS9. You just have to get Firewire version 2.3.3 (pretty sure those #'s are right). Perhaps you could do this on the old machine as well, if you could find a way to download and install without seeing the screen...

--D