PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV Blocks Netflix's "Gay & Lesbian" Category

Adokimus
Oct 4, 2010, 11:53 AM
Hate to cite to Gizmodo, but here's the story:

http://gizmodo.com/5654822/apple-tvs-netflix-service-is-missing-the-gay-and-lesbian-category/

I still can't figure out why a company that openly came out to oppose Proposition 8, on the grounds that it was a civil rights issue, has now turned around and cut out that entire segment of the population with regard to their content for (one can assume) monetary reasons. I personally have distaste for nearly all forms of censorship. The blocking of adult apps was a step in the wrong direction, but hiding the GLBT community as though it is shameful? And people wonder why so many young people struggle with the fact they're gay and there's such a high suicide rate among those who are forced to believe there is something wrong with them.

/RANT

EDIT: Apparently, this is not the only category that is blocked, but call me a conspiracy theorist since I don't think it would be too difficult for Apple to provide all of the categories for users. To me, the others are just red herrings. Also, you can still access the content, you just can't search for it by category. I only find new shows and movies by category, so that doesn't mean much for me. So, not as bad as originally thought, but I still take offense.

iMJustAGuy
Oct 4, 2010, 12:40 PM
Not that I have the need/want to have access to that particular category... but what ELSE are they going to be blocking? You can't advertise yourself as a Netflix media player and start restricting things. I can understand the app store and the other other things Apple choses to do, but this is a bit much. However, if this is all they block then that'll be fine, it just makes me nervous.

StruckANerve
Oct 4, 2010, 12:43 PM
First it was just censorship and now it's bigoted censorship? Apple needs to be bitch slapped.

steviem
Oct 4, 2010, 01:02 PM
From the comments, it looks like it's down to poor menu structure of the NETFLIX app, not apple bearing down upon the minorities....

jaw04005
Oct 4, 2010, 01:21 PM
Yeah I noticed there were several other categories missing compared to Netflix on the Wii.

I love the buffer size for Netflix on the Apple TV, but the much-hyped "best implementation of Netflix yet" interface on the Apple TV leaves a lot to be desired.

It barely provides basic functionality and with quirky issues like no quality meter, no HD indicator, no way to tell which shows/movies you've watched or how much you've watched --- it needs a lot of work.

And why isn't the Instant Queue at the top of the menu list?

davidjearly
Oct 4, 2010, 01:36 PM
Quite right too.

steviem
Oct 4, 2010, 01:41 PM
Hmmm, looks like we've experienced some censorship on this very thread too! :eek:

faith4more
Oct 4, 2010, 01:56 PM
I am glad they restricted it. I don't want my young kids subjected to any kind of sexual lifestyle section or channel. That being said netflix does a poor job of allowing filters with passwords in all their interfaces. So there is a lot of content I don't want my kids to have access to I wish they could filter. What they really need is a way for content to be filtered with passwords. That way everyone has a choice of what they want to allow through.

Alrescha
Oct 4, 2010, 01:57 PM
Not that I have the need/want to have access to that particular category... but what ELSE are they going to be blocking?

I think "block" is a word chosen purposefully to manipulate people's emotions, right up there with "censorship". Apple isn't blocking access to any movies.

You can't advertise yourself as a Netflix media player and start restricting things.

Of course you can. My Sony DVD player is a "Netflix media player", and it doesn't show me any categories at all. All it can manage is to show me my Instant Queue.

Apple is trying to sell a device that goes in people's living rooms. They want to sell lots of them - to people of all backgrounds and education. I expect that they chose the menu items they did to ensure that people would be comfortable having their children or relatives use it.

We can be saddened that we live in a country where such a decision had to be made, but to deny the reality would be foolish.

A.

iMJustAGuy
Oct 4, 2010, 02:09 PM
I think "block" is a word chosen purposefully to manipulate people's emotions, right up there with "censorship". Apple isn't blocking access to any movies.

Of course you can. My Sony DVD player is a "Netflix media player", and it doesn't show me any categories at all. All it can manage is to show me my Instant Queue.

Apple is trying to sell a device that goes in people's living rooms. They want to sell lots of them - to people of all backgrounds and education. I expect that they chose the menu items they did to ensure that people would be comfortable having their children or relatives use it.

We can be saddened that we live in a country where such a decision had to be made, but to deny the reality would be foolish.

A.

You *SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO* advertise yourself as a Netflix media player*

EstrlM3
Oct 4, 2010, 02:35 PM
I am glad they restricted it. I don't want my young kids subjected to any kind of sexual lifestyle section or channel. That being said netflix does a poor job of allowing filters with passwords in all their interfaces. So there is a lot of content I don't want my kids to have access to I wish they could filter. What they really need is a way for content to be filtered with passwords. That way everyone has a choice of what they want to allow through.

Maybe you should watch your kids and know what they are doing instead of relying on a corporation to be a parent for you. :eek:

Censorship of any kind should be unacceptable. But taht doesnt seem to be whats going on here, people are jumping to conclusions.

animatedude
Oct 4, 2010, 02:59 PM
rejoice boys! Gays are the new Blu-rays!

FreeState
Oct 4, 2010, 04:02 PM
I am glad they restricted it. I don't want my young kids subjected to any kind of sexual lifestyle section or channel.

There us a lot of content in the LGBT section that is not sexual at all. That being said, its not a "lifestyle" anymore than heterosexuality is a "lifestyle." There is no one way anyone in either group lives their lives.

I hope there is a way to add to the interface in the future if you want it - I looked for it this weekend and could not find it (they left others off as well).

reticulate
Oct 4, 2010, 04:37 PM

Because all LGBT content is obviously sexual in nature.

Actually, you're probably right. They should also block any content that shows or implies a heterosexual relationship too, just to be fair.

steviem
Oct 4, 2010, 04:54 PM
Or, you know, just put them in the same categories. Having an lgbt category is basically the same as 'separate but equal' and that always ends up with inequality.

rusty2192
Oct 4, 2010, 05:01 PM
This just in: Apple sensors all Religion! They purposefully left off the Faith and Spirituality genre off the Netflix app on the Apple TV!

The list only had room for so many genres. They included the main ones rather than having a list a mile long and requiring you to scroll through them. The movies are still accessible, just not as a heading on the main page. I'm not saying I am for or against any of this, I just think too big of a deal is being made out of it.

skottichan
Oct 4, 2010, 05:11 PM
And yet, I can watch The L Word via Netflix on my AppleTV.

It's looking like it's what the more rational members are saying, they just didn't add all the genres.

WiiDSmoker
Oct 4, 2010, 05:56 PM

Become a better parent with guidelines and stop having companies cater to the bad parents while ruining the experience for the rest of us.

skottichan
Oct 4, 2010, 06:04 PM
Become a better parent with guidelines and stop having companies cater to the bad parents while ruining the experience for the rest of us.

Oh gods no, don't make parents actually, y'know, parent. That's un-American!

faith4more
Oct 4, 2010, 08:18 PM
Maybe you should watch your kids and know what they are doing instead of relying on a corporation to be a parent for you. :eek:

Censorship of any kind should be unacceptable. But taht doesnt seem to be whats going on here, people are jumping to conclusions.

There have a few posts like this directed at my my post. It obvious anyone saying parents should not have the ability to censor content either have no kids or are most likely infantile themselves.

I know what my kids are doing but am not going to be an oger and hover over what they do 24hrs a day. But I will be a good parent and restrict what they have access to whether it is on the internet or anywhere else. That is called good parenting.

In regards to netflix they could easily add filters that could be turned off or on at the discretion of the subscriber. This would infringe on no one.

Fuchal
Oct 4, 2010, 08:49 PM
There have a few posts like this directed at my my post. It obvious anyone saying parents should not have the ability to censor content either have no kids or are most likely infantile themselves.

I know what my kids are doing but am not going to be an oger and hover over what they do 24hrs a day. But I will be a good parent and restrict what they have access to whether it is on the internet or anywhere else. That is called good parenting.

In regards to netflix they could easily add filters that could be turned off or on at the discretion of the subscriber. This would infringe on no one.

You should also follow your kids around when they're out so you can make sure they don't ever run into these scary gay people.

skottichan
Oct 4, 2010, 09:00 PM
You should also follow your kids around when they're out so you can make sure they don't ever run into these scary gay people.

Oh noes, not gay peoples!

Seriously though, Faith4More, my mum did a great job being a parent, and keeping me safe and educating me on the world. Sheltering your kids is probably one of the worse things to do to them. I understand that explaining to your kids that not everyone shares your point of view, religion, and sexual orientation, is difficult for you, but we do exist in the real world.

Now, totally back on subject. I don't think Apple intended to alienate the LGBT (or Religious/Spirituality) Genre, I think it was just an oversight, or just a space saving decision. Especially, since LGBT (and Religious/Spirituality) content is still available, just not grouped in genre.

Bernard SG
Oct 4, 2010, 09:44 PM
So actually Apple doesn't block the content but just doesn't make it appear as a specific genre.
That's quite another story and, arguably, a positive one as far as it's avoiding some form of discrimination by categorization, am I rite?

PurdueGuy
Oct 4, 2010, 09:59 PM
So actually Apple doesn't block the content but just doesn't make it appear as a specific genre.
That's quite another story and, arguably, a positive one as far as it's avoiding some form of discrimination by categorization, am I rite?

So if there is a Gay/Lesbian genre, then to avoid discrimination, every other movie would need to be under the "Straight" movie category?

And to those saying "they didn't a list a mile long," how about about letting the user choose? There are a WHOPPING 20 entries on the Netflix site under "Genres." I'd hardly consider that a long list!

Or putting the popular ones on screen, and having an "Other" at the bottom? I doubt I'd ever go uder "Documentary" and "Foreign" but I'd be fine leaving them there and adding "Other" to access the rest.

faith4more
Oct 4, 2010, 10:02 PM
Oh noes, not gay peoples!

Seriously though, Faith4More, my mum did a great job being a parent, and keeping me safe and educating me on the world. Sheltering your kids is probably one of the worse things to do to them. I understand that explaining to your kids that not everyone shares your point of view, religion, and sexual orientation, is difficult for you, but we do exist in the real world.

Now, totally back on subject. I don't think Apple intended to alienate the LGBT (or Religious/Spirituality) Genre, I think it was just an oversight, or just a space saving decision. Especially, since LGBT (and Religious/Spirituality) content is still available, just not grouped in genre.

Don't be so heterophobic please.

PurdueGuy
Oct 4, 2010, 10:06 PM
Uhm, how the heck did you come to that statement?

Bernard SG
Oct 4, 2010, 10:13 PM
So if there is a Gay/Lesbian genre, then to avoid discrimination, every other movie would need to be under the "Straight" movie category?

Is there a "straight" movie category?

PurdueGuy
Oct 4, 2010, 10:15 PM
Of course not.
Another poster mentioned putting Gay/Lesbian in a category might be considered discrimination b/c it's categorizing things.

skottichan
Oct 4, 2010, 10:15 PM
Uhm, how the heck did you come to that statement?

I'm not entirely sure myself, I was just pointing out that sheltering his/her kids doesn't do them any good, and that my very straight mother did a fine job monitoring what I did/watched.

Chwisch87
Oct 4, 2010, 10:17 PM
Heterophobic??

Oh boy...

Well on netflix online there are like 20 different genres. On the appleTV app there are 8?? Its a space saving issue. As a gay man I did find it a bit odd that it was missing but this is nothing but a space saving issue and nothing more. I would like the ability to put in genres I like or at least be able to add more ... am i going to email steve jobs of this ... no lol.

Oh and faith4more ... since I do like to find common ground with people I agree with you on the fact that netflix doesn't have a good way to block say rated R content. But honestly its not terribly a bad issue really. Its not like cable where all you have to is flip a channel to HBO and see ... oh lord ... kids get in the other room!

skottichan
Oct 4, 2010, 10:19 PM
Heterophobic??

Oh boy...

Well on netflix online there are like 20 different genres. On the appleTV app there are 8?? Its a space saving issue. As a gay man I did find it a bit odd that it was missing but this is nothing but a space saving issue and nothing more. I would like the ability to put in genres I like or at least be able to add more ... am i going to email steve jobs of this ... no lol.

Oh and faith4more ... since I do like to find common ground with people I agree with you on the fact that netflix doesn't have a good way to block say rated R content. But honestly its not terribly a bad issue really. Its not like cable where all you have to is flip a channel to HBO and see ... oh lord ... kids get in the other room!

Totally agree on all counts.

Chwisch87
Oct 4, 2010, 10:23 PM
Of course not.
Another poster mentioned putting Gay/Lesbian in a category might be considered discrimination b/c it's categorizing things.

Or saving us from bad movies. Roger Ebert put once that gay cinema is basically the same plot line over and over again. Love against adversity. OVER AND OVER AGAIN!! Just go check out the gay and lesbian instant category. You will find two people on a cover looking like they wanna make out. It has been a hard time moving characters from gay person in larger gay focused story to characters that happen to be gay in a larger story.

Bernard SG
Oct 4, 2010, 10:25 PM
Of course not.

That was probably me :D.

IrishTiger
Oct 4, 2010, 10:37 PM
It looks like it's not blocked - it's just not one of the top tiers. Like I have Latter Days on my instant queue, and I looked at it, and then under the "more" options it showed "Gay and Lesbian" under categories. It's still there, you just have to search for it.

PurdueGuy
Oct 4, 2010, 10:40 PM
It looks like it's not blocked - it's just not one of the top tiers. Like I have Latter Days on my instant queue, and I looked at it, and then under the "more" options it showed "Gay and Lesbian" under categories. It's still there, you just have to search for it.

Right. It's a space savings, they only list 8 categories instead of 20.

I think they just chose the most popular 8, and ignored the rest. To me, going from 20 to 8 seems silly, since 20 isn't really that long of a list to begin with.

If it was going from 80 to 8, I can understand, but 20 simply isn't a big list.

reticulate
Oct 4, 2010, 11:23 PM

Thanks for the laugh.

cole01
Oct 5, 2010, 12:22 AM

:rolleyes:cute!

alfonsog
Oct 5, 2010, 12:42 AM
Everyone realizes there is no GLBT category in iTunes store either... yet the movies are there...

Protecting younger kids from "sex" is an American phenomenon that leads to all the current bullying, suicides, homophobia, and sexual promiscuity in kids. Yet violence is perfectly ok. Read any magazine or watch prime-time TV in Europe and you can tell the difference immediately, they have much fewer problems with those issues. Children who aren't constantly supervised will find and hide (in fear) those things that are forbidden.

JonHimself
Oct 5, 2010, 10:54 AM

Sure... movies like Dear John, PS I Love You, How To Lose A Guy In 10 Dates, The Notebook... they'd all be in the "straight" category... right?.... right?

skottichan
Oct 5, 2010, 01:03 PM
Sure... movies like Dear John, PS I Love You, How To Lose A Guy In 10 Dates, The Notebook... they'd all be in the "straight" category... right?.... right?

I dunno, I'd probably put those particular movies into "Terrible Movies" category.

But yeah, like Chwisch87 said, LGBT movies keep recycling the EXACT same story, over and over and over, and most of the lesbian oriented flicks I've watched are almost as bad as most romantic dramas/comedies that are infecting the mainstream cinema.

FreeState
Oct 5, 2010, 02:48 PM
I dunno, I'd probably put those particular movies into "Terrible Movies" category.

But yeah, like Chwisch87 said, LGBT movies keep recycling the EXACT same story, over and over and over, and most of the lesbian oriented flicks I've watched are almost as bad as most romantic dramas/comedies that are infecting the mainstream cinema.

I would not agree with that. There is a broad base of LGBT media and film out there that deals with many different subjects. That being said, the studios are the ones that push LGBT films that have the same subject line over and over because thats what makes them the most money. I suspect its out of LGBT people longing to see that aspect of their life on film, something heterosexual themed films also cover in nearly every single film geared towards older teens and young adults.

skottichan
Oct 5, 2010, 04:21 PM
I would not agree with that. There is a broad base of LGBT media and film out there that deals with many different subjects. That being said, the studios are the ones that push LGBT films that have the same subject line over and over because thats what makes them the most money. I suspect its out of LGBT people longing to see that aspect of their life on film, something heterosexual themed films also cover in nearly every single film geared towards older teens and young adults.

Oh, I'm not saying "all", I'm just agreeing with another poster. In my experience, s/he is rather correct tho, LGBT films are generally the same "battle over adversity" story, over and over. I find that LGBT oriented TV to be a bit better when it comes to not retreading the same story.

Honestly, as a lesbian, I enjoy it more when I see characters like SGU's Camile Wray, who is a woman (and high ranking member of the IOA) who happens to be gay. While yes, LGBT entertainment is great and all, I'd prefer a more mainstream acceptance of LGBT characters in mainstream fiction.

(And please, characters like Helena Cain in nBSG is the last thing I'd like to see more of)

BoulderBum
Oct 5, 2010, 05:13 PM
Can you still access all the "Gay & Lesbian" shows via the Netflix search? If so, who cares that they're not prominently organized in a category within the interface?

BoulderBum
Oct 5, 2010, 05:16 PM

Dear John - Gay
PS, I Love You - Gay
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Dates - Super Gay

I think the "straight" category should contain stuff like UFC and Terminator 2 and stuff.

skottichan
Oct 5, 2010, 06:48 PM
Can you still access all the "Gay & Lesbian" shows via the Netflix search? If so, who cares that they're not prominently organized in a category within the interface?

Yes, you can. I've been rewatching The L Word on my new aTV (which btw, is my first aTV, not entirely sure how I lived without one).

I think the "straight" category should contain stuff like UFC and Terminator 2 and stuff.

Really? UFC, "straight"? Two half naked men trying to make the other one submit? That's more "gay" than pro-Wrestling.

BoulderBum
Oct 5, 2010, 08:30 PM
Really? UFC, "straight"? Two half naked men trying to make the other one submit? That's more "gay" than pro-Wrestling.

Wrestling is gay. Bloodying another dude's face is super straight.

Chwisch87
Oct 5, 2010, 09:18 PM

I have a few gay friends really into UFC ... they are kind of weird though.

ChargerSteve
Oct 5, 2010, 09:49 PM

Wanting to filter out inappropriate content from your kid's view doesn't equate to sheltering. And defining "appropriate" is up to each parent. I know I don't want my young daughters watching something I think is too violent or sexual. Who the hell are you to be giving parenting advice anyway?

skottichan
Oct 5, 2010, 09:56 PM
Wanting to filter out inappropriate content from your kid's view doesn't equate to sheltering. And defining "appropriate" is up to each parent. I know I don't want my young daughters watching something I think is too violent or sexual. Who the hell are you to be giving parenting advice anyway?

Ohhh I love this little nugget. Who're you to dictate what's acceptable for other people to watch in their spare time, just because seeing two women kiss might traumatize your little crotch spawn.

Y'know what, my mom was a single parent in the 80's and you know what, she didn't piss and moan when something was on TV that she didn't think I was ready for. You know what she did, that's right, she changed the channel. She didn't need a filter, because she WAS the filter.

Plus, what, because I'm a lesbian you don't think I can be a parent?

PurdueGuy
Oct 5, 2010, 11:37 PM
And defining "appropriate" is up to each parent. I know I don't want my young daughters watching something I think is too violent or sexual.
I do believe that is exactly what others were referring to. The PARENTS should be the filters, NOT corporations. You seem to be in violent agreement. :eek:

BoulderBum
Oct 6, 2010, 12:31 AM
I do believe that is exactly what others were referring to. The PARENTS should be the filters, NOT corporations. You seem to be in violent agreement. :eek:

Okay, but wait. The content isn't be filtered out. You can find it just fine if you search for it. It's just that it isn't featured prominently in a high level menu. Several things got reorganized and I'm personally glad that said category is excluded. For one thing, it makes navigation simpler, but when my daughters start being able to read, it also lets me avoid answering questions about the birds and the bees sooner than I want to.

Seriously, if you can still get at the content via the "search" I don't see what the big deal is.

Now Apple filtering out music videos from YouTube return results? That was an outrage! Seriously, I think they did it back with ATV v1 when they used to sell music videos via the device. None of my "favorited" YouTube videos that were music videos showed up in the appropriate place.

PurdueGuy
Oct 6, 2010, 12:39 AM
Okay, but wait. The content isn't be filtered out. You can find it just fine if you search for it. It's just that it isn't featured prominently in a high level menu. Several things got reorganized and I'm personally glad that said category is excluded. For one thing, it makes navigation simpler, but when my daughters start being able to read, it also lets me avoid answering questions about the birds and the bees sooner than I want to.

Seriously, if you can still get at the content via the "search" I don't see what the big deal is.

Now Apple filtering out music videos from YouTube return results? That was an outrage! Seriously, I think they did it back with ATV v1 when they used to sell music videos via the device.

There are two arguments going on in this thread.

1) Why does Apple not list all Netflix genres (even if some are listed under "More" or something similar).

2) People thinking it is Apple's job to police what people's kids watch. Here is a quote from earlier in the thread:

I am glad they restricted it. I don't want my young kids subjected to any kind of sexual lifestyle section or channel. ...

People are upset that parents are thinking Apple knows best, and can babysit their kids. That's the parents' job, not any corporation. Why should I have to go through extra steps, that I don't have to do on the Netflix website, to make your life as a parent easier?

If you don't want your child exposed to anything sexual, they pretty much shouldn't be in front of a TV without you there. There are soaps, Oprah, The Evening News, TMZ, Hollywood Insider, and any number of sitcoms/dramas/crime shows that have sex in them. It seems most people that are "happy" probably don't want their child exposed to "that kind of sexual" imagery. And that's a pretty bad excuse.

And as for this:

For one thing, it makes navigation simpler, but when my daughters start being able to read, it also lets me avoid answering questions about the birds and the bees sooner than I want to.
It says "Gay and Lesbian" and not "gay sex here!!" What's wrong with answering the question "what is gay?" with "that's when two men (or women) love each other?" Repeated movie plots aside, not everything gay is sexual.

ChargerSteve
Oct 6, 2010, 01:26 AM
Ohhh I love this little nugget. Who're you to dictate what's acceptable for other people to watch in their spare time, just because seeing two women kiss might traumatize your little crotch spawn.

Y'know what, my mom was a single parent in the 80's and you know what, she didn't piss and moan when something was on TV that she didn't think I was ready for. You know what she did, that's right, she changed the channel. She didn't need a filter, because she WAS the filter.

First off, I could not care less about your sexual orientation, so relax. My comments had nothing to do with your sexual orientation, how would I have known you were lesbian anyway? What I strongly object to is anyone offering unsolicited parenting advice, it's not your place. Your's and other's comments implied that using parental controls on electronics was only for people that let the TV babysit their kids. That is just a ridiculous conclusion to jump to.

Secondly, I never said I think Apple should filter out what is available. I think it was already established that none of the NetFlix content was filtered, just not all the categories were listed. What I am in favor of is NetFlix adopting some type of parental controls so each parent can filter out access to what they feel is inappropriate. I don't have a second generation AppleTV yet, but the first gen one let's me set it up to require a password to view R rated movies. I use that feature so that my 4 year old doesn't start watching Resevoir Dogs Because I'm not always hovering over her waiting to grab the remote in the event something I feel is inappropriate for her comes on. I would like NetFlix to have similar parental control features. That is not asking corporations to raise my child, that is requesting features that are useful to me.

BoulderBum
Oct 6, 2010, 02:49 AM
People are upset that parents are thinking Apple knows best, and can babysit their kids...

If you don't want your child exposed to anything sexual, they pretty much shouldn't be in front of a TV without you there. There are soaps, Oprah, The Evening News, TMZ, Hollywood Insider, and any number of sitcoms/dramas/crime shows that have sex in them.

I agree TV shouldn't babysit kids, but if you take me as an example: I don't even have normal TV. I'm all Apple TV and movies at this point so the kids clamor for the new "Beauty and the Beast" Blu Ray, "Chicken Little" via iTunes, or awful kid shows on Netflix like "Dinosaur Train" because it's all they're really exposed to.

Even if I'm there (or especially if I'm there), a high-level "Gay and Lesbian" category may raise questions whether or not we watch anything in it.

Also, is Oprah really sexual? That would be pretty gross if so.

It says "Gay and Lesbian" and not "gay sex here!!" What's wrong with answering the question "what is gay?"

Sexuality has a lot to do with it. You don't see a lot of homosexual couples saving themselves for marriage (they can't get married in most states!).

The question of "what is gay" will need to be addressed at some time, but it doesn't need to be when we're navigating menus to find "kids and family" content on Netflix.

Personally, I don't want the "Gay and Lesbian" category there, I'm happy it's not there by default (just as I would be happy that an "adult" section would be excluded if it existed) and I seriously don't see what the issue is about just searching for the shows you want to watch.

It's just not a big deal to use the search for some things, especially when there's a feature in Apple TV tries to intelligently predict other shows you'd like after you searched for a given show.

PurdueGuy
Oct 6, 2010, 10:55 AM
I agree TV shouldn't babysit kids, but if you take me as an example: I don't even have normal TV. I'm all Apple TV and movies at this point so the kids clamor for the new "Beauty and the Beast" Blu Ray, "Chicken Little" via iTunes, or awful kid shows on Netflix like "Dinosaur Train" because it's all they're really exposed to.

Even if I'm there (or especially if I'm there), a high-level "Gay and Lesbian" category may raise questions whether or not we watch anything in it.

Also, is Oprah really sexual? That would be pretty gross if so.

Sexuality has a lot to do with it. You don't see a lot of homosexual couples saving themselves for marriage (they can't get married in most states!).

The question of "what is gay" will need to be addressed at some time, but it doesn't need to be when we're navigating menus to find "kids and family" content on Netflix.

Personally, I don't want the "Gay and Lesbian" category there, I'm happy it's not there by default (just as I would be happy that an "adult" section would be excluded if it existed) and I seriously don't see what the issue is about just searching for the shows you want to watch.

It's just not a big deal to use the search for some things, especially when there's a feature in Apple TV tries to intelligently predict other shows you'd like after you searched for a given show.

Sounds like a case of "NIMB" (Not In My Backyard). And yes, Oprah can be sexual. But it's mostly heterosexual, which is why you seem to be letting it slide.

So heterosexual stuff is ok, homosexual stuff is not. Got it. Carry on.

Gasu E.
Oct 6, 2010, 11:30 AM

Being a lesbian certainly does not bar someone from being a good parent. However, referring to children as "crotch spawn", at a minimum, makes one suspect. :rolleyes:

GermanSuplex
Oct 6, 2010, 05:52 PM
Did Apple target that genre specifically? Because they had a Gay/Lesbian badge on the home page of the iTunes store not that long ago which took you to music strongly associated with the movement, like Donna Summer and the like.

FreeState
Oct 6, 2010, 06:02 PM
Did Apple target that genre specifically? Because they had a Gay/Lesbian badge on the home page of the iTunes store not that long ago which took you to music strongly associated with the movement, like Donna Summer and the like.

No - there are lots of genre's not listed that are listed on the Netflix website. It most likely was done for simplicity and space (this is done on the official Netflix ISO app too).

Apple always has posted a banner for June to highlight Gay Pride in iTunes. Apple is very supportive of all families, including GLBT ones.

jp102235
Oct 6, 2010, 06:04 PM

whoa, easy there - part of watching kids is having in-place the right controls to prevent them from being exposed to things that may give them nightmares or just be too soon for their minds to grasp.

that being said: parenting != hovering. :apple: has great parental controls, but netflix is notoriously bad when it comes to their streams. They do have great parental controls on the DVD's by mail, however - but for some reason the streams aren't as flexible.

j

GermanSuplex
Oct 6, 2010, 06:14 PM
No - there are lots of genre's not listed that are listed on the Netflix website. It most likely was done for simplicity and space (this is done on the official Netflix ISO app too).

Apple always has posted a banner for June to highlight Gay Pride in iTunes. Apple is very supportive of all families, including GLBT ones.

Thanks... that's what I suspected.

So what's everyone raising a stink over then?

FreeState
Oct 6, 2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks... that's what I suspected.

So what's everyone raising a stink over then?

My guess is because it was the first genre that was noticed to be missing - people jump to conclusions. Hopefully an update will allow the user to modify the genre list to include what ever they want.

Cigsm
Oct 6, 2010, 08:20 PM

How is YOUR wants for YOUR young kids relevant to what categories Netflix / Apple hide?

Why don't you be a good parent and not allow your child to watch netflix unmonitored instead of asking a company to censor an entire category of films because YOU dont want YOUR kids seeing them?

How about if Netflix / Apple hide the RELIGIOUS category because I dont want MY godson subjected to such nonsense and fairy tales?

Would that be OK?

Tomorrow
Oct 6, 2010, 08:24 PM
How is YOUR wants for YOUR young kids relevant to what categories Netflix / Apple hide?

How is expressing approval/disapproval of anything Netflix/Apple do a bad thing? :confused:

Why don't you be a good parent and not allow your child to watch netflix unmonitored instead of asking a company to censor an entire category of films because YOU dont want YOUR kids seeing them?

Do we know he/she isn't? :confused:

How about if Netflix / Apple hide the RELIGIOUS category because I dont want MY godson subjected to such nonsense and fairy tales?

Would that be OK?

Would it be OK with you? :confused:

After all, we are talking about opinions here. faith4more weighed in with one. Instead of responding with one of your own, you broke out in a geyser of hate and discontent.

So how about it? Where do you stand?

Cigsm
Oct 6, 2010, 08:32 PM

So now you're comparing "Gay and Lesbian" film category to an "adult section"?

Wow. This is 2010. I didn't know that films dealing with gay and lesbian issues (which in the end are many of the same issues we deal with: love, acceptance, adversity, heartache, pain, etc) is right up there with Midget sex, glory holes and other hard core porn.

Good to know that you seem to feel an entire slice of the world population is as "dirty" as hardcore porn just because they love a member of the same sex.

(It's thinking like THIS that causes 12, 13, 14, year old homosexuals to commit suicide).

Cigsm
Oct 6, 2010, 08:44 PM
How is expressing approval/disapproval of anything Netflix/Apple do a bad thing? :confused:

Do we know he/she isn't? :confused:

Would it be OK with you? :confused:

After all, we are talking about opinions here. faith4more weighed in with one. Instead of responding with one of your own, you broke out in a geyser of hate and discontent.

So how about it? Where do you stand?

Yes we do know that they don't parent their child appropriately, as they are publicly claiming that they want the "Gay & lesbian" genre removed so their kids don't see it. Therefore, they want a company to remove an entire genre of film because they don't like it wah wah wah. Instead of doing the responsible parent thing and monitoring what they're child is watching, or even deciding WITH the child what to watch and putting that on for them, they want it out of sight (which goes to show their thoughts on homosexuals in general, btw).

Now if he would have said, What I'd like to see is a way to password protect certain movies, ratings, genres, themes, stars, etc, I'd have said I AGREE 100%% THAT would make sense - not to belittle and ostracize an entire section of the population by keeping them "in the closet" (so to speak)

My stance is that a company should NEVER give in to bullying to fanatical groups that hate this or that and want it banned / pulled / censored / removed / erased / deleted / zapped from memory.

My stance is that we live in a HUGELY diverse country and an even more diverse world and we need to learn to accept that we can't change race / color / orientation etc and we DO need to learn tolerance.

My stance is that it is not up to a company to parent. A company can choose to offer certain products to a certain segment of their customer base if they wish and if someone doesn't like it, tough tittie! Parent your own child. This doesn't mean you need to have the "gay" discussion or the "birds & the bees" discussion, but how about YOU pick the movie / show for the child. That way, everyones happy. The child, the parent, the company and the gay customers that (may) want their gay themed films.

stealthman1
Oct 6, 2010, 10:58 PM
My God, now simply being a parent makes one part of a 'fanatical' group...:rolleyes:

PurdueGuy
Oct 6, 2010, 11:42 PM
My God, now simply being a parent makes one part of a 'fanatical' group...:rolleyes:

Where did you get that idea? Here is what was said:
My stance is that a company should NEVER give in to bullying to fanatical groups that hate this or that and want it banned / pulled / censored / removed / erased / deleted / zapped from memory.

Do you see the word parent anywhere in there? No. Being a parent that thinks gay people need to be hidden from view, and corporations should hide/censor non-mainstream anything is the fanatical part.

stealthman1
Oct 7, 2010, 12:04 AM
Not one shred of evidence here that any of that happened. Just people expressing their desires in a product to make their life easier getting shouted down. Maybe they should be blown to bits for having an opinion? 10:10 style?:rolleyes:

BoulderBum
Oct 7, 2010, 01:31 AM
Sounds like a case of "NIMB" (Not In My Backyard). And yes, Oprah can be sexual. But it's mostly heterosexual, which is why you seem to be letting it slide.

So heterosexual stuff is ok, homosexual stuff is not. Got it. Carry on.

When did I say I was all right with any sort of sexual content? I don't watch Oprah, and I was saying it would gross me out if she talked about sex on her show.

In reality, I don't want my kids exposed to any sort of sexual content, which I said later in my last post. Shows like "The Real World" are definitely included though they're mostly heterosexual in content.

So now you're comparing "Gay and Lesbian" film category to an "adult section"?

Wow. This is 2010. I didn't know that films dealing with gay and lesbian issues (which in the end are many of the same issues we deal with: love, acceptance, adversity, heartache, pain, etc) is right up there with Midget sex, glory holes and other hard core porn.

Good to know that you seem to feel an entire slice of the world population is as "dirty" as hardcore porn just because they love a member of the same sex.

(It's thinking like THIS that causes 12, 13, 14, year old homosexuals to commit suicide).

Yours is a fallacious straw man argument. Cut the melodrama and the accusations.

I don't think a movie like "Milk" is in the same league as "midget porn", but I do think a movie like "Brokeback Mountain" or "Rocky Horror Picture Show" can be compared to a film like "Eyes Wide Shut" or "Showgirls" in some ways.

And when I say I appreciate not seeing "adult" content, I mean to say that, for example, I appreciate that Apple also blocks iPhone apps featuring nudity of any sort.

I, as a parent, have the right and desire to prevent my kids from being exposed to some such content at an early age.

Again, chill out and use the search feature. Everything you want to see is available, it's just not forced down the throats of parents and kids who don't want to see it in a prominent menu.

Seydlitz
Oct 7, 2010, 02:55 AM
When did I say I was all right with any sort of sexual content? I don't watch Oprah, and I was saying it would gross me out if she talked about sex on her show.

Now I won't challenge this, but you do realize that the chance of your kid seeing Violence and Heterosexual sex are enormous? In fact many Disney cartoons feature some violence and heroes kissing their loved one. I'll just say.. Beauty and the beast.

You imply this is ok, while two men or women kissing each other is not okay for your children to see.

No need to answer, as I'm sure this discussion won't go anywhere.

Tomorrow
Oct 7, 2010, 08:08 AM
Yes we do know that they don't parent their child appropriately, as they are publicly claiming that they want the "Gay & lesbian" genre removed so their kids don't see it

You're still going overboard with that extrapolation. I see no evidence that he/she is a bad parent. You're making an assumption based on...well, nothing, really.

It's a bit like driving by a person's house, seeing a van parked in the driveway, and automatically assuming that a musician lives there - I mean, a musician needs a big vehicle to transport his equipment, it's so OBVIOUS, right?

Although I don't disagree with you here, I also don't see why you believe either Netflix or Apple have given in to "bullying" in any capacity. These companies are tremendously successful, I'm sure they'll do just fine.

Jr1985
Oct 7, 2010, 09:12 AM
Thank heavens there's no "Black" category! I wouldn't want my children subjected to all those violent, drug addicted rappers!

Oh sorry, did I just equate black people to drugs and violence, the same way some bigots equate gay people to sexual promiscuity?

It's scary how backwards some people are...

Jr1985
Oct 7, 2010, 09:14 AM

In reality, I don't want my kids exposed to any sort of sexual content, which I said later in my last post. Shows like "The Real World" are definitely included though they're mostly heterosexual in content.

Yours is a fallacious straw man argument. Cut the melodrama and the accusations.

I don't think a movie like "Milk" is in the same league as "midget porn", but I do think a movie like "Brokeback Mountain" or "Rocky Horror Picture Show" can be compared to a film like "Eyes Wide Shut" or "Showgirls" in some ways.

And when I say I appreciate not seeing "adult" content, I mean to say that, for example, I appreciate that Apple also blocks iPhone apps featuring nudity of any sort.

I, as a parent, have the right and desire to prevent my kids from being exposed to some such content at an early age.

Again, chill out and use the search feature. Everything you want to see is available, it's just not forced down the throats of parents and kids who don't want to see it in a prominent menu.
That's what the age rating is for.

Queso
Oct 7, 2010, 09:25 AM
An AppleTV thread about to get PRSI'd. Who'd have thought? :D

Tomorrow
Oct 7, 2010, 09:28 AM
An AppleTV thread about to get PRSI'd. Who'd have thought? :D

I'm surprised it hasn't been Godwin'd.

Queso
Oct 7, 2010, 09:30 AM
I'm surprised it hasn't been Godwin'd.
Why? Are Apple acting like......HITLER!!! :D

*runs away cackling*

dduttonnc
Jan 12, 2014, 01:52 PM
Any app should be sold on the droid and apple store even if it's R/MA. R rated content should be sent over broadcast tv... And no restrictions on video games (by that I mean stop bashing on MA games. Many are made for adults - not kids) Why do I say this? B

PARENTAL CONTROLS

ALL TVs, DVRs, ios, android, windows, game consoles, OS X, etc have parental controls. It's not up to apple, the government, etc to control content. It's up to THE PARENTS. Parents need to do their darn JOBS by enabling and setting parental controls, AND monitoring their kids. If they are clueless, take it to the geek squad, a tech friend, or some other computer consulting company, or mobile place (att, sprint, etc) to have them set

I'm sick of people saying "ohhhh it's for the CHILDREN". Bull crud. That scare tactic is getting old

Parents should be given these choices:

1a) if you don't know how to monitor your child and set parental controls, DONT BUY your minor a device that has access to potential adult stuff! Get them a cheap, basic, cell phone.
1b) same as 1a, but buy a higher end device, and get someone to set it up for you

2) take an active role. Parents should ALWAYS know what's on their children's devices,computers, and game consoles. It's irresponsugbnitbb

3) if you're "too busy,"you shouldn't have had kids until your life got less busy. If it wasn't planned see 1a/1b

Companies need to STOP caving into these parental groups who use children as a scare tactic. Or Apple could offer free parental control set up during the first 30days. I've seen game companies cave and release patches to tone the gore Down, intimate scenes deleted, and don't give us the option to turn it on. Use the consoles, windows, or OS X parental controls to decide if that should be shown. Tell these parents groups to piss off, DO THEIR DUTY, and enable parental controls...

I am a parent. I have a 8 yr old daughter, 8 yr old son. I'm 43. My children are raised full time by me and my husband.

We know where our 2 kids are at ALL times. The both have iPhone 5s 16GB with find friends installed, plus we have att family map (less accurate than FF but can't be turned offf). They also have ipad 4 32gb.

In case of abduction they have gps implants. They will only be used in emergencies.

We check their phones once a week: apps, email, texts, and browser history and cache. Laptops checked also. As they get older we will check less , but we will still check

PARENTAL controls are active on our DirecTV DVRs, Apple TVs, windows 8.1 computers & laptops, iTunes, all ios devices,,etc unless we enter a code so we can watch our program, or the kids convince us something has been improperly rated.

It's helps we are both avid gamers (and tech savvy)

As for the "we don't have time" junk.. We do all I listed plus we are full time working parents - owning 2 companies (computer consulting and neuromuscular therapy). I'm a computer programmer, network engineer, co-owner ... And a neuromuscular therapist and co-owner. My husband does the sane work I do.

One of our biggest client base I are parents needing help settup parental control

carjakester
Jan 12, 2014, 11:11 PM
anyone else also angry that the play next episode doesn't come up? harder to sit here all day having to find my remote and such. ;)

jnpy!$4g3cwk
Jan 12, 2014, 11:28 PM
I am a parent. I have a 8 yr old daughter, 8 yr old son. I'm 43. My children are raised full time by me and my husband.

We know where our 2 kids are at ALL times. The both have iPhone 5s 16GB with find friends installed, plus we have att family map (less accurate than FF but can't be turned offf). They also have ipad 4 32gb.

In case of abduction they have gps implants. They will only be used in emergencies.

Please tell me more about this technology. What company makes these GPS implants?

EvilQueen
Jan 13, 2014, 01:15 PM
From the comments, it looks like it's down to poor menu structure of the NETFLIX app, not apple bearing down upon the minorities....

Poor menu structure? How can that be? Is it easier to put drama then gay?

----------

I agree with this but once you leave the room, they can change the program. Being able to lock things out like you can with cable is nice.

chown33
Jan 13, 2014, 01:28 PM
People, this thread is from 2010.

EvilQueen
Jan 13, 2014, 02:07 PM
People, this thread is from 2010.

hahahahahhahahahahaha

That's funny. I was wondering...thought maybe it was a new change because last time I did the netflix on the apple tv it was there.

----------

Any app should..........

Damn you old thread bumper. LOL