Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DougJrS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
Kansas City
I just got a new printer (Lexmark 320) and I want to share it between my G5, my sisters G4 iMac, and my work PC's (2 Win2k Laptops and a XP desktop).

All of he computers are on a network, some are wired and some are wireless. The WAP that I have is made by Linksys. All the computers are setup for DHCP.

OK, so how do I do it?

Thanks,
Doug

DougJrS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
Kansas City
AirPort Express

Can I plug the new printer into the AirPort Express and let the AirPort Express connect to my wireless network?

Can a PC work with the AirPort Express printer sharing?

Doug

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Wireless printing over USB requires Mac OS X v10.2.7 or later or Windows XP or Windows 2000 and a compatible printer.

I don't know much about Airport Express, but I assume that your printer will be allocated an IP address, from the built in print server in the AE.

From the macs, try adding an IP Printer, using LPD/LPR. It may find the printer automatically, or you may have to manually type in the IP address, as something like 192.168.1.xx:631. Linksys use the first 3 numbers as I've shown ie 192.168.1 - you or the AE will allocate the 4th set of digits, something between 2 and 255 that doesn't clash with existing machines on the network (eg your G5 might have already been allocated 192.168.1.2, so you can't have that one). The :631 at the end is the port for the printer.

When you set the win machines up go to Control Panel, Printers, add printer, and choose network printer - you should be able to browse for it in the ensuing dialog boxes.

Best of luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.