PDA

View Full Version : Need help with using this thing!

Management
Oct 4, 2010, 03:00 PM
I just purchased an iPad.

I also purchased mobile me due to the iDisk functionality. I just need help with using this and understanding this device's capabilities.

I know I can go to mobile me in the browser and upload documents. But how do I actually download those documents to the device (iPad) through the iDisk application?

I purchased pages, numbers, and keynote. What are the various ways I get my documents onto the device and manage them. Opening, editing, e-mail, uploading to mobile me, etc.

More questions to come.

maturola
Oct 4, 2010, 03:07 PM
If You have the iDisk app, all you do is open it and you will see your Directory on the Left in landscape (or click on the botom on the top left that reads "iDisk", to see your files if you are on normal mode)

http://a1.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/002/Purple/4e/a0/98/mzl.fwxzhovx.480x480-75.jpg

When you open a documents, let's say a test.doc you can click on the bottom on the top right that looks like a square with an arrow. It will show you a list of all the app that you got install that can open that file. Just click pages and you will be good to go,

http://ipadappaday.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/0d65fb46-0444-4fd0-8c1d-2e7ea2e9f02ciphone_photo.jpg

Management
Oct 4, 2010, 03:09 PM
O wow ... completely missed that.

So when you say open in pages. Does it save it to your ipad for future viewing? Where is it located and or managed?

Thanks for the quick reply.

maturola
Oct 4, 2010, 03:13 PM
O wow ... completely missed that.

So when you say open in pages. Does it save it to your ipad for future viewing? Where is it located and or managed?

Thanks for the quick reply.

They are located on the "Cloud" on apples servers, you open a local copy on your ipad, and save it back to idisk (which it will save it back to the cloud).

I will storage a local copy of the most recent files you have view/edit until you connect back to the net and it will sync them back to the cloud. You can go to "settings" (click on iDisk bottom on the top left again, and them on the top ledt of that menu you will see "Settings") and you add more or less local storage.

Management
Oct 4, 2010, 03:26 PM
They are located on the "Cloud" on apples servers, you open a local copy on your ipad, and save it back to idisk (which it will save it back to the cloud).

I will storage a local copy of the most recent files you have view/edit until you connect back to the net and it will sync them back to the cloud. You can go to "settings" (click on iDisk bottom on the top left again, and them on the top ledt of that menu you will see "Settings") and you add more or less local storage.

In reference to the cloud ..... that's awesome!!!!

But what is the point of having local storage? Syncing from a PC for music, movies and pictures only? (apps don't take up that much space)

By the way thanks a lot for the help.

maturola
Oct 4, 2010, 03:41 PM
In reference to the cloud ..... that's awesome!!!!

But what is the point of having local storage? Syncing from a PC for music, movies and pictures only? (apps don't take up that much space)

By the way thanks a lot for the help.

No problem man, Welcome to the club, the iPad is a great device, wait until the Jailbreak is released and I can lore you around to Jailbreak it, it will become even more amazing ;)

Yeah the point of local storage is more for multimedia and app, Pics and Music but also, Magazines, ebooks, games, Videos.

You can download apps from the app store that allow you to carry files (like a external Hard drive), most of them you cannot actually Manage/edit but some you can. I use Air Sharing on my iPhone, I am not sure if they got an iPad version but I am sure there are other app like it.

Management
Oct 4, 2010, 03:46 PM
No problem man, Welcome to the club, the iPad is a great device, wait until the Jailbreak is released and I can lore you around to Jailbreak it, it will become even more amazing ;)

Yeah the point of local storage is more for multimedia and app, Pics and Music but also, Magazines, ebooks, games, Videos.

You can download apps from the app store that allow you to carry files (like a external Hard drive), most of them you cannot actually Manage/edit but some you can. I use Air Sharing on my iPhone, I am not sure if they got an iPad version but I am sure there are other app like it.

What are your biggest plus for jailbreaking the iPad?

I ask because I was thinking about jailbreaking the iphone 4 that I also picked up so that I can leverage my unlimited data access via WiFi. Thoughts?

I was also thinking about using the iphone as the HD that I walk around with but I'm waiting for a jailbreak for 4.2 when it comes out.

ngenerator
Oct 4, 2010, 08:58 PM

Multitasking a month+ before Apple's approved method.

Oh yeah, and not having to deal with Apple's lame "attempt" at multitasking ;)

Plus, if you're going to use your iPhone to tether to the iPad, unless you splurge on the $20 MyWi app, videos will be low quality and you won't be able to download apps or podcasts over a certain size unless you're using 3G Unrestrictor (available via jailbreaking)

maturola
Oct 4, 2010, 09:01 PM

I ask because I was thinking about jailbreaking the iphone 4 that I also picked up so that I can leverage my unlimited data access via WiFi. Thoughts?

I was also thinking about using the iphone as the HD that I walk around with but I'm waiting for a jailbreak for 4.2 when it comes out.

Multitasking is a big one, but not only you get it earlier but better, Backgrounder is 10000% better than stock, you can background ANY app.

Full File system access, so you can actually do what you originally wanted it, keep all your files on your ipad, edit them, view them and saved them back. Read unsupported file formats.

Better Folders, (more than 12 apps per folder)

Themes, sounds