PDA

View Full Version : New iBook with Netgear's MR814v2 Wireless Router

Lyle
Dec 28, 2004, 10:01 AM
I've been doing a lot of googling and experimenting over the last few days, and am almost ready to just punt and go buy a newer wireless router; but I thought I'd post here as one last attempt.

I've had a working wireless network in my home for about 1.5 years now. The router is a Netgear MR814v2 router (it's an 802.11b model), and I've recently upgraded it to the latest firmware version. I've been connecting to it (wirelessly) from my TiBook with a regular Airport card for a long time, with no problems. So the router basically "works".

I got my wife one of the new 14" iBooks for Christmas; this model comes with the Airport Extreme card (802.11g) built-in. I can connect to the wireless network in the sense that I get "bars", but can't actually get to the internet. I can't remember the exact wording of the status message (I'm not near that computer at the moment), but it's the one that says you're in the wireless network but you didn't get an IP address. I do, however, know that the iBook's wireless card works because I was able to -- in the name of science ;) -- get into a couple of neighbors' wireless networks and do some web browsing.

So all of the components seem to be basically working. But there's obviously a configuration problem of some kind in the mix. I do have 128-bit WEP enabled, and am only allowing access from the PowerBook and iBook by restricting the router to those two MAC addresses; but I've also tried disabling those features and leaving the router "wide open" -- no luck.

I know that this is a lot of information, but I wanted to let you know what I have and haven't tried yet. I'm more or less at the point of just going to the store and buying one of Netgear's newer 802.11g routers (e.g. the WGR614). Any last-minute suggestions would be appreciated, though. ;)

armandocerna
Dec 28, 2004, 10:12 AM
Sounds to me like you are connected but with a self assinged IP so basicly a signal with no internet. What I would try doing is reseting the router to factory defaults see if that works.

armandocerna
Dec 28, 2004, 10:14 AM
One more thing I just thought of. Maybe since you got your ibook if it has bluetooth it is creating some type of conflict because they run in the same frequency range. Anyway try changing the wireless channel on the access point.

Lyle
Dec 28, 2004, 10:29 AM
Sounds to me like you are connected but with a self assinged IP...Yes.
... so basicly a signal with no internet. What I would try doing is reseting the router to factory defaults see if that works.I can give that a try when I go home at lunchtime. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

Lyle
Dec 28, 2004, 10:32 AM
One more thing I just thought of. Maybe since you got your ibook if it has bluetooth it is creating some type of conflict because they run in the same frequency range. Anyway try changing the wireless channel on the access point.This iBook doesn't have the (optional) Bluetooth module, but I guess I can play around with different wireless channels nevertheless to see if it makes a difference.

mkrishnan
Dec 28, 2004, 10:43 AM
This iBook doesn't have the (optional) Bluetooth module, but I guess I can play around with different wireless channels nevertheless to see if it makes a difference.

Oooh, I had this problem once with my Netgear...I'm trying to remember how I fixed it. IIRC, as good as the channel and bluetooth suggestions are, they don't have anything to do with this issue (I think if those were your problems, you wouldn't see bars). I think it is a configuration issue.... Gah, I think if I remember it correctly, on the Netgear, you had a choice of using DHCP with NAT or DHCP without NAT, and this had to do with it (and I think I finally went with the with NAT option). Sorry I can't remember more! This annoyed me to no end at the time..... :(

Lyle
Dec 28, 2004, 11:00 AM
IIRC, as good as the channel and bluetooth suggestions are, they don't have anything to do with this issue (I think if those were your problems, you wouldn't see bars).Yeah; it's definitely not a matter of a weak signal.
I think it is a configuration issue.... Gah, I think if I remember it correctly, on the Netgear, you had a choice of using DHCP with NAT or DHCP without NAT, and this had to do with it (and I think I finally went with the with NAT option). Sorry I can't remember more!I don't recall seeing a choice between using DHCP with or without NAT, but can go back and check at lunchtime. In the meantime, try hard to remember more. Take the day off from work, if necessary, to avoid any distractions.

FireArse
Dec 28, 2004, 11:15 AM
Hey,

I get this occasionally - connect to the router and disconnect a number of times. Are you using security? Even though you have the wrong password your client software still tells you that you're connected - check security settings!

To test the units - use the router without security for *5* minutes. This should connect without any probs.

On your new machine, find out if it 'sees' the router - find out if it sees the gateway. Try 'pinging' too. Ping other machines to find out how 'connected' you are to the AP. I think that since the other 'old' machine is working fine (i.e. the old machine is pulling an IP address from the router) the router is functioning properly.

Good Luck!

tjmcardl
Dec 28, 2004, 12:05 PM
I use the MR814v2 and had this same problem when I first connected my ibook to it. Under the wireless settings tab for the router set the key to be an 'open system' rather than 'shared key' or 'automatic'. That was the only setting that my ibook liked.

But that won't explain why you couldn't connect with WEP and MAC filtering disabled. Are you sure the firmare update worked? They are up to v5.3, I believe.

-Tim

Lyle
Dec 28, 2004, 02:35 PM
I use the MR814v2 and had this same problem when I first connected my ibook to it. Under the wireless settings tab for the router set the key to be an 'open system' rather than 'shared key' or 'automatic'. That was the only setting that my ibook liked.Tried playing with each of these settings (Automatic, Shared and Open) but no joy.

But that won't explain why you couldn't connect with WEP and MAC filtering disabled.Right.
Are you sure the firmare update worked? They are up to v5.3, I believe.Yup, checked it on the router's "status" page after completing the upgrade and it reported the correct version number.

Lyle
Dec 28, 2004, 02:39 PM
Well, I tried all of the suggestions but never could get things working. So I took the coward's way out and bought the newer WGR614 router at lunchtime and got that set up; everything's working fine, now. ;)

Thanks to everyone who tried to help out!

P.S. Yes, I rewarded NETGEAR for their apparent lack of compatibility by buying yet another of their products. Sue me. ;)

Enda Crowley
Jun 5, 2005, 07:06 AM
I diddnt want to start a new thread for fear of a moderator shouting at me but i sorta have the same problem with my mr814v2 and my powerbook all the windows computers can connect to the router no problem and can get on the internet no problem but my powerbook just says "There was an error joining the AirPort network "WLAN!" I was told something about upgrading the firmware but I dont have the username and password for my router because the person who set it up changed it and if I reset it i porbably wont know how to configure it for the Internet again...
I REALLY need help on this one,

Cheers

Enda

NATO
Jun 5, 2005, 08:07 AM
(FAO Enda): Have you set up your Netgear router to broadcast the SSID?

I'm using a Netgear DG834G Router with WPA-PSK Encryption and MAC Address filtering. Everything works perfectly if I have the SSID Broadcast, but if I turn that off, the Powerbook displays the error you see. Try turning SSID Broadcast on if it isn't already on to see if that helps you.

If you can't get access to the settings to turn it on, you may need to hard reset the router, which will reset the password (and all the other internet settings)

mkrishnan
Jun 5, 2005, 12:11 PM
Enda,

There have been some people who said that MacOS requesting IPv6 was actually part of the trouble...I think IPv6 is off/uninstalled by default in XP, on by default in MacOS. Try turning it off. The way you do this is:

System Preferences -> Network Pane -> Click on the Airport listing in the white part -> click on the TCP/IP tab -> Click on Configure IPv6 at the bottom -> choose "off" in the drop-down menu

If you have any trouble with this, go through the same process and at the end, set the drop-down back to Automatically.

Please give this a try and see if it helps. :)

FWIW, IPv6 is a different numbering system for internet addresses, that uses more bits for each part of the address, and so lets you have more addresses...the internet is making a slow transition to it, but right now, almost nothing requires/uses IPv6.

rccola70
Jun 5, 2005, 01:14 PM
Try manually assigning the IP to your computer. Its under system preferences, network, airport, TCP/IP.

Enda Crowley
Jun 5, 2005, 01:43 PM
ok i tried the ipv6 and the manual ip address thing and i still got an error if i get the settings for Telekom Austria AON then I will reset my router and upgrade the firmware and set it up again, if anyone has anymore ideas on what I could do then please dont hesitate lol.

and i forgot to add that I can connect to the net when I am sitting on the hallway floor with my powerbook plugged into the router.