Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronyville

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Hi All,

Just got my new iPod Touch a few days ago. Love it! But I have seen that the battery doesn't last very long. I mainly use it for surfing the net, no music, no videos, no games, no photos and no emails. I normally spent around 4hrs altogether a day for surfing. On a full charge after 24hrs with around 4hrs of surfing the battery life is at 50%. Is this normal? I have turned off most of the stuff such as bluetooth, location services, Push services, Auto-lock set to 1 minute and auto-brightness is off with brigthness turned low. Still the same result. Serial no starts with C3. Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

xriderx11

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
Its fine for me... its actully longer on the web then the 3rd gen... almost every night if its on sleep mode i wake up and its dead.. and somtimes i wake up and its 80% when it is on 100%... i always leave it charged b4 i go to bed... but my computers off.... soo yeah

vanzantapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2010
USA
I tested mine yesterday. I surfed mostly forum sites and didn't watch videos and had the brightness on about 25%. 4hrs and it had about 50% left. Then I watched YT videos for about 2 hours and it had around 15 to 20 percent left. After that, I charged it. I'm happy with the battery life on my iPod.

ronyville

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Thanks for the replies. According to Apple site the iPod Touch should have 7hrs of video playback and 40hrs of music playback. I figured surfing the net won't eat up the battery as much as playing music. But others have had similar results so I guess the battery is fine. Thanks again.

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
I have some issues wih my ipod too...dont want to create a new topic (or else i'll get flamed) so sorry for hijacking your thread :eek:

I am confused about the brightness of the screen...its really low...If its 0, the visibility is very poor in daylight or near any light source...I have to keep it at around 30-50% when I am outside my house (sometimes even when i am inside)...and its a lot of battery...is it normal?
Also is there any way to have custom EQ? I was surprised that the sound was so bright and the mids so high (tried every EQ setting)...I listened to music from my nokia phone before and the sound had a lot of bass...and in the ipod i can hear very little bass...the sound is loud but not "bassy" enough for me...any way to change it?

p1kef1sh

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
IPod Touch Battery

I bought my iPod Touch 4 Gen on monday. I use it for a wide variety of things but a lot of web surfing and Skype calling. Last night I fully charged the battery. This morning it was completely dead. I know that just because the screen is off doesn't mean that it's not working but 8 hours and to completely drain the battery seems very poor. I thought that there was supposed to be over 200 hours in standby mode! Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
I figured surfing the net won't eat up the battery as much as playing music.

Surfing the net will eat up far more battery than playing music. You need the screen active, for one thing, which is where a lot of the energy is going, and it uses more CPU.

--Eric

joecool99

Suspended
Aug 20, 2008
USA
is it true that the WIFI is always on (when connected) even in a sleep mode ?

is that why some are complaining about short battery life ?

eddy2099

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
is it true that the WIFI is always on (when connected) even in a sleep mode ?

is that why some are complaining about short battery life ?

Well, just keeping the wifi on by itself does not actually shorten the battery life because in my experience, the drain on sleep mode is just a few percentage over night.

However, if you keep apps like facetime, skype, email or anything which does push notification then these apps would be responsible for the battery drain. If you do not need any of these when the ipod touch is in sleep mode, it would be wise to turn on the airplane mode.

Of course if your battery is a lemon then no matter what you do, it would not make a difference. If that is the case, it would be best to exchange the unit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.