PDA

View Full Version : Want to share internet with PC(laptop) and iBook - HELP!

Shayna96
Dec 28, 2004, 12:14 PM
Hi! Got an iBook for Christmas. Have a laptop with direct connection to a cable modem. How can I share internet via wireless between both machines? I was looking at a Netgear wireless router, but have no idea what to do, if I need to purchase anything else, how to use and hook up, etc. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Mechcozmo
Dec 28, 2004, 12:45 PM
From a Mac:

Go to System Prefs->Sharing
If the cable goes in via Ethernet, select Ethernet from the built in box.
Then say stream to Airport. (Airport must be on first)
Click the start button

Shayna96
Dec 28, 2004, 01:01 PM
Thanks. But if I wanted wireless capability, would I connect the modem to the router and then be able to be "mobile" throughout the house with both machines without wires? And what about printing? Would I need to connect the printer to te router too so both computers can print to it without a direct connection?

Thanks for the help!

MisterMe
Dec 28, 2004, 01:33 PM
Hi! Got an iBook for Christmas. Have a laptop with direct connection to a cable modem. How can I share internet via wireless between both machines? I was looking at a Netgear wireless router, but have no idea what to do, if I need to purchase anything else, how to use and hook up, etc. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!!!!It is generally safer to get a Linksys router. You plug your cable into the cable modem. You plug the Ethernet cable from to cable modem to the WAN port of the router. You don't "share" the Ethernet connection from any of your computers. The router does that. Each computer is an equal citizen on your private LAN. Set-up each of your laptops to access the network wirelessly.

Shayna96
Dec 28, 2004, 01:41 PM
Wonderful! Thanks MisterMe - I'll let you know how things go...

Happy New Year!