PDA

View Full Version : New apple tv, slow downloads?

toptekjon
Oct 4, 2010, 10:06 PM
Anyone else seeing horrendously slow downloads from the apple tv?

I just rented the movie "Monsters" - it took FOREVER to download, and has also paused 3 times to download more.....

I have a fast connection, 30 down/5 up. I can stream HD video from any place that offers it, no problem.

Hopefully the itunes store is just slow due to the launch, but come on!! Apple needs to prepare better for the launch day rush on their products. What a lousy way to make a first impression on your new customers!

essexstu
Oct 7, 2010, 06:49 AM
Am having exactly the same problem. I haven't actually tried buying a movie yet but have tried numerous times to download a trailer. I seem to get as far as the green US certificate screen and then.... nothing. The buffer bar seems to grow slowly, and the only time I actually seem to get a picture of the film is if I manually drag the timeline to a point further on, and even then it just shows a still frame from wherever I drop the timeline pointer.

Not impressed. My internet connection (Sky Broadband) is not the quickest, granted, but I was expecting SOMETHING at least....

:confused::confused::mad::mad::confused:

toptekjon
Oct 9, 2010, 05:02 PM
Am having exactly the same problem. I haven't actually tried buying a movie yet but have tried numerous times to download a trailer. I seem to get as far as the green US certificate screen and then.... nothing. The buffer bar seems to grow slowly, and the only time I actually seem to get a picture of the film is if I manually drag the timeline to a point further on, and even then it just shows a still frame from wherever I drop the timeline pointer.

Not impressed. My internet connection (Sky Broadband) is not the quickest, granted, but I was expecting SOMETHING at least....

:confused::confused::mad::mad::confused:

I just upgraded to a 50mb down, 5mb up connection today, and the apple tv is still completely useless. My internet connection works great on every other device in the house, but the apple tv is painfully slow over N wifi or gigabit ethernet.

If things don't improve, I'm going to return it for a refund. I like the potential of the apple tv, but right now I can't even use it.

BigHonkingDeal
Oct 9, 2010, 08:20 PM
If things don't improve, I'm going to return it for a refund. I like the potential of the apple tv, but right now I can't even use it.

Kind of defeats the purpose.... If I have to wait two hours to start STREAMING a movie :)

It's definitely the renting part from Apple because AppleTV streams Netflix just fine. Let's hope they fix this soon.

snebes
Oct 9, 2010, 08:46 PM
Kind of defeats the purpose.... If I have to wait two hours to start STREAMING a movie :)

It's definitely the renting part from Apple because AppleTV streams Netflix just fine. Let's hope they fix this soon.

Have you guys tried restoring the appletv or taking it to the genius bar for inspection? perhaps there is something wrong with them if you don't have issues with the services on other devices...

SonicStomp
Oct 10, 2010, 01:56 AM
Same problem here.

Convinced it's an iTunes store issue - YouTube seems to be working fine. Streaming from iMac works perfectly.

omni
Oct 10, 2010, 02:14 AM
I have always been convinced that time warner throttles download speeds from apple. Because everything from only apple downloads slow as can be.

SonicStomp
Oct 10, 2010, 02:44 AM
tried again this morning - everything working fine!

Suspect it has to be a store problem.

SilentLoner
Oct 10, 2010, 11:50 AM
Its the same for me. I have slow broadband however I would like to at least play while still downloading but if I rent off apple tv it seems to download the whole thing first.

Still love it I just download off the macbook :D

Rooskibar03
Oct 10, 2010, 12:12 PM
I've had :apple:TV since launch and when HD rentals were first made available they would spool up maybe a minute longer then a SD version.

Over the last year or so, the HD rentals continue to get worse. It took 15 minutes for "Get him to the Greek" to start and that was only after I unplugged the unit, waited a few minutes and then rebooted it.

I long suspected it was Comcast throttling back my connection to Apple since other things worked fine. But more and more I think its on the Apple side.

SilentLoner
Oct 10, 2010, 12:21 PM
I've had :apple:TV since launch and when HD rentals were first made available they would spool up maybe a minute longer then a SD version.

Over the last year or so, the HD rentals continue to get worse. It took 15 minutes for "Get him to the Greek" to start and that was only after I unplugged the unit, waited a few minutes and then rebooted it.

I long suspected it was Comcast throttling back my connection to Apple since other things worked fine. But more and more I think its on the Apple side.

I have changed to show sd rentals on the apple tv and I am going to rent one to see if it works any different

Richard L
Oct 20, 2010, 04:06 PM
I have no real problem downloading films and TV progs as generally I leave it to do it at night. My biggest grumble is that when I want to watch one I have to leave the Apple TV connected for a very long time (30 - 45 minutes) before I can start watching whilst it loads it's buffer. Makes it useless, the old version of Apple TV had it's problems but not this one

aduteau
Oct 22, 2010, 03:04 AM
well I just got mine today ... I hooked it up to my TV as soon as I got back home, then me and the wife wanted to try to rent an HD movie (I had showed her a tech demo about how fast the streaming was when renting .... tech demo from the unveiling of the new apple TV in september .... that was my selling point to the wife).

We select a movie ... and then BAM ... 218 minutes till we can watch our movie ... I was shocked ... We have a pretty good internet connection here, so I tough ... "maybe its my wireless connection".

I look up the signal and its top notch on apple TV ... I then stubbornly hook up the ethernet cable to see if its better then wireless ... and that test proved me that NO it wasn't better at all ...

If renting movies will always be like that ... then this service is a giant fail ...

We then decide to look at some movie trailers .... to our surprise ... they take as long to load as to watch them ... again .... a giant fail ...

We then try to sign in to Netflix .... we got error after error after error about netflix not being available ... Then after an hour of trying ... we finally login to Netflix ... who then takes longer to load a movie then the PS3 version of Netflix !!!!

Hardware .... Software problem ??? Who knows ...
Its got bad loading times .... incredible .....

jmor
Oct 22, 2010, 09:33 AM
Our apple tv (original) always did the same thing, it had improved a little, but it still remains a pretty big problem.

techguy40
Oct 22, 2010, 10:36 AM
I get the same problem with rented movies or tv shows. It takes a very long time to wait for it to play.

I get 3 Mbps to 4 Mbps internet speed.

Netflix no problem. I get instant stream. No waiting at all.

aduteau
Oct 22, 2010, 06:47 PM
Ok ... So ... So far from my understanding from this forum tread and my experience with the new apple tv ... It seems that what Steve demonstrated at the september keynote as a demo for the speed from wich you can rent a movie or tv show on the new apple tv ... Is complete false advertisement ...
I have yet to rent an hd movie without waiting 2hrs before watching ...

come on Applr open up that north carolina server plant and use it to help the streaming time for itunes movie renting .... Why they cant have streaming times like netflix is beyon me ...

laurim
Oct 22, 2010, 09:39 PM
I don't know why yours are so slow but I rented an HD movie from iTunes a couple nights ago and it said it was ready to play literally two seconds after I authorized payment. Maybe I got lucky with a good night or the older movie I picked was not a popular one (Land of the Dead Unrated) but I've also watched some movie trailers and short free episodes of new tv shows at different times and they all have been instant for me. I have Comcast "up to 12 Mbps" service and when I do speed test I get from 4 to over 12 depending on the server I test with. Maybe I get some help because I have a signal booster on the cable coming in because spitting the signal to three rooms gave me a bad picture on my tv in the living room.

Maybe test your connection by renting an older HD movie and see if that's instant for you. The iTunes store might just be overwhelmed with new ATV traffic trying to view the latest movies

Never mind. To test it, I rented "Get Him to the Greek". After I authorized payment, I counted to 18 and the ready to play message came up. Maybe you guys should look into a signal booster or something.

Slower Pace
Oct 23, 2010, 09:15 AM
The first movie we rented on :apple:TV loaded in a few seconds and my wife was so impressed, and felt the $99 wasn't a bad investment after all. The next night we rented a $3.99 movie and it said it would be ready in 193 minutes! After a while it went clear down to 114 minutes and stayed there. So I tried the next night; 153 minutes. I unplugged everything, etc. and it said 37 minutes, but never budged. I joined Netflix and got my movie almost instantly (3mbps down). The next day I upped my download to 5mbps for $10 more a month. My iTunes movie loaded in a few seconds and we were pleased again. But I don't think it was the extra 2mbps; I think it is an iTunes problem. YouTube loads in a couple seconds and shows all the videos. Netflix hasn't stuttered yet. I think maybe iTunes is overloaded or whatever. I believe it is Apple's server and not us.

aduteau
Oct 23, 2010, 09:36 AM
makes sense that its on apples server side that the problem is ...
But come on ... I mean ... Apple did say that they sold about 250 000 new apple TV 2 during their financial report this week ... And 250 000 new people is causing a major lag to renting movies ? ... They really need to ramp up networks are else this problem is going to grow on them and word to mouth will follow about this issue and hurt them ...

smithrh
Oct 23, 2010, 10:01 AM
Just as a comparison point, I haven't had a single issue with Netflix (I didn't try to access it when it went down the other day).

I don't use the iTunes Store for any video content, so I can't give any feedback there.

comovartia
Dec 7, 2010, 08:17 PM
It has to be an itunes store issue. I begin having this issue about a week or 2 ago. I do not use an apple tv I have a mini wired into my tv. It is also wired internet not wireless. When I use netflix and hulu they download very fast yet anything from the Itunes store crawls. I also run netflix through my PS3 that is wireless and that runs way faster.
Apple will loose a lot of business if they do not fix this issue. I will take my business to Vudu if need be.

laurim
Dec 7, 2010, 09:07 PM
It has to be an itunes store issue. I begin having this issue about a week or 2 ago. I do not use an apple tv I have a mini wired into my tv. It is also wired internet not wireless. When I use netflix and hulu they download very fast yet anything from the Itunes store crawls. I also run netflix through my PS3 that is wireless and that runs way faster.
Apple will loose a lot of business if they do not fix this issue. I will take my business to Vudu if need be.

Like has been said many times, you can't compare Netflix download times to iTunes download times. If you have a slow internet connection, Netflix lowers the quality of the movie to a stream you can handle, iTunes doesn't. I guarantee if you can't download an HD 720p iTunes movie decently, you won't be able to download an even larger 1080p movie from Vudu. I (and others) don't have any trouble watching movies on iTunes because I have a decent internet speed. You need to look into that first.

comovartia
Dec 8, 2010, 07:43 PM
Like has been said many times, you can't compare Netflix download times to iTunes download times. If you have a slow internet connection, Netflix lowers the quality of the movie to a stream you can handle, iTunes doesn't. I guarantee if you can't download an HD 720p iTunes movie decently, you won't be able to download an even larger 1080p movie from Vudu. I (and others) don't have any trouble watching movies on iTunes because I have a decent internet speed. You need to look into that first.

It is not my internet speed. I have great internet speed. Everything I download every where else is super fast, just Itunes is slow. And that is just with in the last few weeks. Before that the downloads were super fast. I could start watching HD content immediately, the other day it took 4hrs to download an SD movie and an hour and a half to download a SD tv show.
Nope, not an internet speed issue.

laurim
Dec 8, 2010, 08:29 PM
It is not my internet speed. I have great internet speed. Everything I download every where else is super fast, just Itunes is slow. And that is just with in the last few weeks. Before that the downloads were super fast. I could start watching HD content immediately, the other day it took 4hrs to download an SD movie and an hour and a half to download a SD tv show.

Don't know what to tell you. Rented the movie "Pi" in HD from iTunes last night and it was ready to view in less than a minute.

benoitgphoto
Dec 8, 2010, 09:14 PM

I'm in the same position as Laurim...my iTunes downloads smoke...start within a few seconds...and I rent almost every day. And I have the same Apple TV as you.

Do you mind giving more details on your setup ? What is your true Internet speed ? Did you connect the Apple TV wifi or ethernet ? If wifi, please share configurations details (router brand, type of network n or g, band , channel, etc). Are you able to stream from your iTunes library with Home Sharing and is it with good speed ?

TattooedMac
Dec 8, 2010, 09:20 PM
I'm in the same position as Laurim...my iTunes downloads smoke...start within a few seconds...

Ill use this analogy and jump on the bandwagon ....

My ATV2 starts within a cpl Seconds and dont get one pause through the whole movie .....
Doesnt seem to be the store and i have never had a problem !!! Ever !!!!

Kainz
Dec 8, 2010, 11:30 PM
I own an ATV v1, and that has always been fast when renting out films/tv series - I always let the unit fully download the media, which takes 20-30mins on my 20mb adsl connection. The unit is hooked up via an ethernet cable.

Two days ago I replaced my Netgear DG834N with a Draytek 2710n and then noticed that rentals take hours, to the point where I leave them downloading overnight. I thought it was the new router, but I've been over its settings many times, can't see a thing wrong. I have rented out and fully downloaded 3 films over the past two days and they have all taken many hours.

I can only conclude that the store is messed up for me, I just can't get a solid answer :(

comovartia
Dec 9, 2010, 10:29 PM
Not using an apple tv. Its Itunes on a mac mini. It is wired internet. In the 2 years I have had the mini as part of my home theater the downloads were very fast. The problems started after I downloaded the lasted version of Itunes.
I got a free rental from Vudu when I signed up for their service and it downloaded nice and fast. Never used home sharing.
15mbps down and 3mbps up.

kildjean
Dec 10, 2010, 08:39 PM
I have the "hockey puck" ATV i got my gf for our 3rd anniversary. One great dinner later, it says Ready to play in 1 hour 52 minutes.

Netflix plays instantly.

DNS is set to google dns: 8.8.8.8

If i set it up as the at&t uverse connection netflix doesnt even start.

if I knew it would have been this bad i would have bought her a wii and just use my netflix account.

This sucks... =(

Can some of the people that have this working properly put their configs to see how you guys make it work?

Thanks.

Kildjean

benoitgphoto
Dec 10, 2010, 10:05 PM
I have the "hockey puck" ATV i got my gf for our 3rd anniversary. One great dinner later, it says Ready to play in 1 hour 52 minutes.

Netflix plays instantly.

DNS is set to google dns: 8.8.8.8

If i set it up as the at&t uverse connection netflix doesnt even start.

if I knew it would have been this bad i would have bought her a wii and just use my netflix account.

This sucks... =(

Can some of the people that have this working properly put their configs to see how you guys make it work?

Thanks.

Kildjean

Not so sure I can help but here is my set-up :

1. Cable Internet and DNS servers are the ones from my ISP. I'm in Canada and I have a canadian and a US iTunes accounts.
2. Cable modem plugged in the latest Airport Extreme base station
3. Apple TV is connected on the AEBS 5 GHz WIFI network.
4. I have the latest version of everything (SL 10.6.5, iTunes 10.1, router firmware, Apple TV OS, etc)
5. My ISP speed is 30 Mbps BUT I was on their lower 7.5 Mbps and it was working fine. The reason I upgraded was to get higher amount of data transfer limit (because of the Apple TV)

In my experience, the Apple TV works very very well on both my iTunes accounts. Starts HD rentals within few seconds. I use it everyday. I configured it on the 5 GHz band to optimize the speed but it was working fine on the 2.4 GHz band IN MY ENVIRONMENT.

Now...getting back to your issue, you can't compare Netflix to iTunes HD stuff as Netflix adjusts compression rates or quality based on your transfer speed. And iTunes HD stuff is 5.1 surround sound, not Netflix...so iTunes = mucho more data than Netflix.

1. What is your ISP advertised speed and what is the actual (measured with www.speedtest.net) in Mbps
2. How is the Apple TV connected ? Wireless or ethernet ?
3. If wireless, what is your setup (router brand and model, g or n network, which band, distance of router from Apple TV, etc)
4. If wireless, did you try wired ?
5. WHY using Google DNS ?

Trust me, the Apple Tv works well, considering you have a correctly configured network and an appropriate internet speed.

laurim
Dec 10, 2010, 11:43 PM
Why are people using a google dns? You should be getting a dns direct from your internet service provider or have something like Airport manage your dns if you have a mac network. Try to not introduce potential roadblocks to your connection.

I just ordered HD Predators from iTunes and it was ready in 1.5 minutes, the slowest download I've ever had. My speedtest download speed immediately before and after was just under 4 Mbps.

I have Comcast basic cable internet, up to 12 Mbps download. My modem is wired to my Time Capsule, which assigns dns to everything on my wireless home network. The wireless signal is picked up by an airport extreme that is connected by ethernet to my ATV2.

benoitgphoto
Dec 11, 2010, 12:58 AM
I just ordered HD Predators from iTunes and it was ready in 1.5 minutes, the slowest download I've ever had. My speedtest download speed immediately before and after was just under 4 Mbps.

Interesting...Just rented a TV show episode and it was the slowest download I've ever had too. It was ready in about 30 sec and even paused a few seconds after start waiting for the buffer to fill up. I stopped it and restart the episode and it never stopped again and worked flawlessly. Looks like Apple has some possible bandwidth issue tonight.

laurim
Dec 11, 2010, 12:49 PM
Interesting...Just rented a TV show episode and it was the slowest download I've ever had too. It was ready in about 30 sec and even paused a few seconds after start waiting for the buffer to fill up. I stopped it and restart the episode and it never stopped again and worked flawlessly. Looks like Apple has some possible bandwidth issue tonight.

I don't know if that's necessarily true because usually when I do a speed test I get numbers like 7, 8 and even over 12 Mbps. I blame my wimpy 4 Mbps speed last night. It would have been interesting to know what your speed test was.

RoarinRow
Dec 12, 2010, 01:28 PM
I had this same problem too. In fact, I gave Apple TV two tries before I gave up. I did get refunds for the failed attempts, which was good and they were very responsive.

I finally resolved my overall connectivity issue in my household but changing my router completely. I went from a D-Link 825 to the Apple Extreme and I connected my Apple Express as well and now all my connections for all devices in the household is a lot more stable.

We rented a HD movie through the Apple Store and it start immediately, faster than Netflix even. There was only one hiccup during the movie, but other than that the picture quality, stability, and signal strength was great!

bilbo--baggins
Dec 12, 2010, 04:42 PM
I tried to rent a movie using the new Apple TV in SD and it told me it would be ready in 2 hours 50 minutes (the old Apple TV could play SD movies almost immediately).

So instead we rented it on my MacBook Pro connected to my TV, and it was able to play almost immediately in iTunes.

This is definitely an issue with the new Apple TV. My Apple TV is connected via gigabit ethernet, the MacBook Pro was connected via wifi.

laurim
Dec 12, 2010, 04:46 PM
I tried to rent a movie using the new Apple TV in SD and it told me it would be ready in 2 hours 50 minutes (the old Apple TV could play SD movies almost immediately).

So instead we rented it on my MacBook Pro connected to my TV, and it was able to play almost immediately in iTunes.

This is definitely an issue with the new Apple TV. My Apple TV is connected via gigabit ethernet, the MacBook Pro was connected via wifi.

I and others have the same Apple TV as you and have zero issues. Therefore, it's not the Apple TV but something specific to your setup, the UK iTunes store or you need to reset your Apple TV for some reason. If there was a problem with ATV 2 in general, we would ALL have issues. Looking back at some of your posts, you had some issues with the previous ATV so maybe it just won't work for your particular situation. Having a gigabit ethernet doesn't guarantee you have speed, just the potential for speed. Go to speedtest.net, try it out and tell us what you get.

LeeTom
Dec 12, 2010, 07:11 PM
I rented a movie on my MacBook Pro last night and it said it would take 24 hours! I waited for about 20 minutes and tried a restart and a redo, but the number didn't budge. I ended up renting it with Comcast OnDemand instead and asked Apple for a refund :(

laurim
Dec 12, 2010, 07:30 PM
It would be helpful if people having issues would immediately do a speed test when they have trouble so we can weed out the possibility of a poor internet connection.

LeeTom
Dec 13, 2010, 03:18 AM
I did a speed test and was getting 15 down, 3 up whilst iTunes was giving me a 24 hour download time.

benoitgphoto
Dec 13, 2010, 07:14 AM
I did a speed test and was getting 15 down, 3 up whilst iTunes was giving me a 24 hour download time.

How is the Apple TV connected to the network ? Wired or wireless ? If wireless, please share your network settings ( g or n network, band, channel, distance from the router, etc). Can you try to connect the Apple TV with ethernet cable and retry to rent something ?

As Laurim said, I have the same Apple TV as you and have 0 issue with extra slow downloads. They start within seconds...

leigh103
Dec 13, 2010, 09:09 AM
Hey people - just signed up because of this thread, coz I'm having similar issues with slow downloads on the apple TV.

My setup is...

Internet comes into the router, forwards a WAN IP (I get 8 with my ISP) to my Airport Express, and all my devices are wireless.

My normal throughput when downloading is 600Kb/s which in my experience should be enough to stream 720p content - but I regularly get buffering issues whilst watching HD films from iTunes, and also get the 'movie will be ready in 800mins' message. However, I'm hoping my diagnostics may go towards working out what's going on with the apple tv's that experience this. I've not got any solutions, just information that I've found out.

Firstly, to resolve the '...800 mins...' message, if you go into settings > itunes, and stop it downloading - when you restart the rental, it's fine. This to me sounds like a buffering issue (however I'm aware that some people don't experience this, so it's a little weird).

Secondly, watching youtube on my ipad/imac streams and buffers instantly - but on the apple tv it doesn't. Youtube vids seem to take forever buffering, even buffering nearly 100% of the video before playing. I can fast forward and rewind, which shows the video ok, just can't play it. If I use Airplay from the ipad, again I see long buffering times. Switching back to the iPad, the video resumes instantly. Again, this seems like a buffering issue to me.

Thirdly, I sometimes have to restart home sharing, on the apple tv in order to connect to my imac. Most of the time it's ok however, but again points to some kind of network issue.

Fourthly, recently I've been getting packetloss on my connection, which is resolved when I reboot my router, but I've only noticed it a few times. I also suspect my Airport express, as it's a factory refurb - but again, my imac and ipad are fine, so I'm not convinced it's either of these.

As all my devices are wireless, they're all in the same collision domain - I also think this maybe part of the problem, but I've not got a long enough ethernet cable to test this. My DNS settings also point to my ISP - I've also tried setting static TCP/IP in the apple tv, but this doesn't change anything.

So it's a little annoying, but I feel this issue is 75% the apple tv not liking something on my network, but I was under the impression it was the same wireless chipset, and OS as in the ipad?? It's perhaps not as clear cut as I'd hope - but if it were iTunes, surely we'd all be getting the same problems. Also the fact I get the same symptoms with Airplay and youtube, again suggests that iTunes isn't the problem here.

So sorry to waffle on, but it's just an endless stream of contradicting diagnostics - just had to get it out!

JonMan
Dec 14, 2010, 12:20 AM
For those experiencing slow download speeds on the ATV2--try moving the box to another location. I moved the ATV a few feet away and my wait time for Inception (HD) went from 6 hours to ready to play within seconds. I am convinced the issue is interference with another device. Try moving the box--I think this will solve the problem for many of you.

paulgarb
Dec 14, 2010, 02:53 AM
For those experiencing slow download speeds on the ATV2--try moving the box to another location. I moved the ATV a few feet away and my wait time for Inception (HD) went from 6 hours to ready to play within seconds. I am convinced the issue is interference with another device. Try moving the box--I think this will solve the problem for many of you.

While I remain convinced that there is an iTunes problem at the root of the slow download issues I had not as yet considered moving the :apple:TV2 - mine sits just below the Sony TV on a cabinet that contains a DVD Player and a Freeview (DTT) PVR - just behind is the powerline network (wired/wireless) plug.

Could any of these devices interfere with the :apple:TV?

leigh103
Dec 14, 2010, 06:15 AM

This is interesting - my apple tv is just below my plasma TV, and it's on it's side. Could explain the issues I've been having... will defo try this. :D

jpolsonaz
Dec 28, 2010, 10:06 AM
It seems that this is a Netflix problem.

At home I have 3 AppleTVs. After the latest software update all but one of the ATVs experienced pauses and buffering problems when streaming Netflix videos. I connected to the Netflix web site and went to Your Account > Manage Netflix ready devices and computers.

It seems that Netflix allows 6 connected devices to each account. In my case there were 4 appletvs, 1 iphone 4 and 1 mac. However I've never actually connected 4 appletvs, so it seems Netflix kept the old ATVs from before the software update in its registry list.

Unfortunately, it seems that once you hit the 6 device limit, Netflix doesn't tell you you have too many devices registered. The devices in the list work fine, but any extras over the 6 device limit get REALLY slow. Deauthenticating all the extra devices on the Netflix web site seems to fix the problem so that now all my ATVs work fine without any pauses or buffering issues.

iHeartapple2
Dec 28, 2010, 05:20 PM
My downloads start within just a few seconds on my Roku box and BluRay DVD player and takes almost 15 min or more on Apple TV. This is my first Apple product that I have ever had that I can say I am disappointed in! Vudu on my BluRay player rocks! Rented the movie Devil last night in HD and it started instantly with no hiccups and looked great! I guess for now I will just use the Apple TV for airplay to share my photos and videos from my iPhone.

InfiniteLoopy
Dec 29, 2010, 03:02 PM
The first few downloads have been fine, then one would jump all over the place ... 9 hours to go ... 4 hours to go ... 7 hours to go. After a while, it started even though it had not downloaded completely, then I had the misfortune to pause it about half way through and it went back to the "loading" screen and had to redownload what it had already downloaded!!! I was also given the random time distortion field until it was ready.

With another, started it and it said it would be about 2 hours, so I just left it, went back an hour later and it displayed the same exact time. So I unplugged the Apple TV and restarted it, and the download time dropped to under an hour ...

I think the ATV2 is a great device for rentals, for those films you want to see but not buy and know it will be years before they are shown on TV, but I don't expect to have to reboot it and guesstimate when the film will be ready.
Apple need to sort this out.

I'm connected via wifi, by the way.

Kainz
Dec 30, 2010, 04:39 PM
Just wanted to state that this isn't an ATV2 problem only, as ATV1 owners also seem to be having this issue. Of course this doesn't help one bit in resolving the situation at hand sadly.

aristobrat
Dec 30, 2010, 04:48 PM
FWIW
The iTunes Store has thousands of entrances. Everyone using Google DNS is trying to get in through the same door.
iTunes slowdowns with Google DNS (http://joemaller.com/2577/itunes-slowdowns-with-google-dns/)

itsmemuffins
Dec 31, 2010, 04:30 AM
I've had the new Apple TV for a month or so now.

Have rented about 10 HD movies and they all started within 30 seconds with no buffering problems.

I have rented these movies at different times of the day

My setup is thus:

7Mbps Broadband

Wireless N 5/2.4 Ghz router.

Apple TV and router in the same room

Apple TV connected wirelessly

Google DNS

No special setup just plug n play

Weaselboy
Dec 31, 2010, 07:29 AM
FWIW

iTunes slowdowns with Google DNS (http://joemaller.com/2577/itunes-slowdowns-with-google-dns/)

I understand the theory here, but I don't think that is all that is going on.

I have a ATV2 and PS3 set up side by side, both on a wired connection to a 15/2MB Internet connection. The PS3 plays HD Netflix movies flawlessly while the same movie is constantly interrupted by stops to buffer on the ATV2. I use OpenDNS at the router. How could this cause a problem on the ATV2 but not the PS3.

Yvan256
Dec 31, 2010, 09:47 AM
Not sure if it also applies to Netflix, but here's something I read about iTunes:
http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=10/12/31/0110226

psirix
Jan 2, 2011, 04:47 PM
I'm having the same exact issue, and I'm really bummed. Got the ATV2 as a gift for my dad and we tried to download an HD movie last night and we could never successfully watch it. I tried absolutely everything I could think of; tired wired and wireless internet connections, switched DNS back to ISP DNS Servers, reset the device, tried on different routers, etc. and still no luck. Netflix, internet radio, and all other services work fine without any issue.When running a bandwidth test from the Chicago, IL server from speedtest.net I get 22 down/4up.

I called Apple tech support today and they were absolutely useless. They told me I just "plan ahead" for when I want to use the device. What's the point of having such a device if I have to plan when I want to use it?

Grrrrr....

FreeState
Jan 2, 2011, 06:06 PM
I'm having the same exact issue, and I'm really bummed. Got the ATV2 as a gift for my dad and we tried to download an HD movie last night and we could never successfully watch it. I tried absolutely everything I could think of; tired wired and wireless internet connections, switched DNS back to ISP DNS Servers, reset the device, tried on different routers, etc. and still no luck. Netflix, internet radio, and all other services work fine without any issue.When running a bandwidth test from the Chicago, IL server from speedtest.net I get 22 down/4up.

I called Apple tech support today and they were absolutely useless. They told me I just "plan ahead" for when I want to use the device. What's the point of having such a device if I have to plan when I want to use it?

Grrrrr....

I was having problems last night as well. I fixed it by changing the channel on my Airport and changing its set up - I have an Airport Extreme that is extended by an Airport Express (N) and an Airport Express (b/g). I took the B/G Airport off and everything started working instantly again... I'm not certain of this but I think the AppleTV was connecting to the AE B/G because it use to be on the other side of the wall the TV is on, however I had moved it earlier in the day to another room, old house with Lath and Plaster walls... I think that was the hold up for me, but Im not 100% sure.

Zeneth
Jan 2, 2011, 06:35 PM
hi.

i am having same issues with slow download speed.

i am using speedtest.net to measure my up/down speeds and get the following results:

download - 0.83mb/s
upload - 0.15mb/s

these results seem very small compared to any other other posts i see.

Thoughts??

Zeneth

fpnc
Jan 2, 2011, 07:30 PM
hi.

i am having same issues with slow download speed.

i am using speedtest.net to measure my up/down speeds and get the following results:

download - 0.83mb/s
upload - 0.15mb/s

these results seem very small compared to any other other posts i see.

Thoughts??

Zeneth
Internet speeds will vary minute-by-minute, but if those results are representative of your ISP's performance then you really don't have the bandwidth that is necessary to use an Apple TV (at least not without very, VERY long waits before you can view the content). I'd check your local network setup (wireless problems?) and then test again.

eleven59
Jan 2, 2011, 10:20 PM
i had original atv and SD rentals never took longer than a minute to play and when they played, they were flawless the whole time... same DSL isp (at&t elite plan), same router (time capsule N), everything wireless like it always has been

with new atv, i have only had success with 2-3 netflix movies playing flawlessly.. i usually get the stop and start stuttering

just rented first atv2 SD movie tonight- taking almost 2hrs.... which never did before!!

checked speedtest... an awful .2 dl/.1up and over 600 ping!!! i used to play online games and never had issues!!

you think the isp is punishing me!! if thats the case they are not worth it!

wish i could get FIOS in my area!

benoitgphoto
Jan 2, 2011, 10:41 PM
i had original atv and SD rentals never took longer than a minute to play and when they played, they were flawless the whole time... same DSL isp (at&t elite plan), same router (time capsule N), everything wireless like it always has been

with new atv, i have only had success with 2-3 netflix movies playing flawlessly.. i usually get the stop and start stuttering

just rented first atv2 SD movie tonight- taking almost 2hrs.... which never did before!!

checked speedtest... an awful .2 dl/.1up and over 600 ping!!! i used to play online games and never had issues!!

you think the isp is punishing me!! if thats the case they are not worth it!

wish i could get FIOS in my area!

Just for trial purposes, you have a Time Capsule N, can you please set it up and the Apple Tv on the 5 GHz band and see if there is any improvement ?

eleven59
Jan 2, 2011, 11:29 PM
first off.. the movie i was told would take 2 hrs didnt seem to take but maybe 30min.. which is still 29min slower than it used to take

but i did switch to 5ghz- got 1.9dl/.3up....

ntrigue
Jan 2, 2011, 11:44 PM
This is either ISP or Apple servers. I started experiencing problems day after Christmas. Running a wireless speed test 40 feet away from Airport Extreme-N I see 21MBps/8MBps. My Apple TV is connected by ethernet to the router and Easy A rental is saying 317 hours 22 minutes. My girlfriend and I simply wished to sit-down and watch a movie with 5 minutes tonight.

benoitgphoto
Jan 3, 2011, 04:31 AM
first off.. the movie i was told would take 2 hrs didnt seem to take but maybe 30min.. which is still 29min slower than it used to take

but i did switch to 5ghz- got 1.9dl/.3up....

And what performance did it give you on rentals ? Did the SD start instantly ?

emotion
Jan 3, 2011, 05:01 AM
I saw this on NYE. Didn't watch the film I rented in the end because of it. I suspect this is a load balancing problem at Apple's end.

UKGreg
Jan 7, 2011, 08:25 PM
All,

I had the same issues with my apple tv. Slow download / rentals stopping every 2-8minutes. I tried a number of things even using different n rated routers. Still the issue persisted. Even changing dns did not help.

My last step was to switch off " send data to Apple". Under settings- general. A few minutes later, my streaming was perfect. No more problems. Nothing else was changed nor do I know why this has worked. It might work for you.

Best of luck

Greg

itsmemuffins
Jan 8, 2011, 03:35 AM
All,

I had the same issues with my apple tv. Slow download / rentals stopping every 2-8minutes. I tried a number of things even using different n rated routers. Still the issue persisted. Even changing dns did not help.

My last step was to switch off " send data to Apple". Under settings- general. A few minutes later, my streaming was perfect. No more problems. Nothing else was changed nor do I know why this has worked. It might work for you.

Best of luck

Greg

I have that switched off from the start.

Maybe that's why I never have any problems.

manj05
Jan 8, 2011, 04:48 AM
First time post but had to register thanks to the genius above ;)

Just changed the send data to apple toggle to no and streaming works perfectly

I used to have the same problem with streaming movies, sometimes it was perfect, sometimes it was 1 hr 20 mins etc, I used to unplug the apple tv and then the problem used to go away, I thought it was some caching issue, but god forbid I pause or watch something else in the middle and then I'd get the problem again :(

So anyway, I've changed this setting and done a quick smoke test, pausing, going to YouTube in the middle of the film etc, it all seems fine now

Thanks

Will be watching a movie with the kids later on so will post back if any problems still

Anyway thanks

:)

InfiniteLoopy
Jan 8, 2011, 07:01 PM
I've never had "Send data to Apple" enabled and still have unpredictable results.
My "solution" if the download time is randomly changing or not progressing is to pull the plug out of the back, wait a few seconds and reinsert it, basically, a reboot. It seems to be better (though not each time) after this.
I also wonder, for those of us on wifi if it would help if the Apple TV wasn't in a cabinet and was just placed next to the TV.

I'm no expert but it seems that the service is particularly bad when lots of people are downloading (weekends, holidays...). Anyone else noticed this?

I'm also wondering if letting it go to sleep whilst downloading either stops or slows down the download ... :confused:

Basically :apple: need to sort this out.

mcough
Jan 10, 2011, 01:44 PM

Thank you I moved it away from TV and A Wii device. Speed increased tremendously. Thanks.

eRondeau
Feb 14, 2011, 09:58 PM
I don't say this very often, but it looks like Apple screwed this one up in a big way. Trying to rent a HD movie on my TV for Valentine's Day and we've got a 4+ hour wait to see it. Ridiculous! And yes I've rebooted my TV, Airport Express, and cable modem; moved everything around the room; switched-off "Send data to Apple"; changed my DNS servers three times; and verified that I'm getting a decent D/L speed from my ISP. I've even shut-off my PS3, laptops, and iPhone to ensure that my TV is the only device online. Nothing has worked. Looks like Apple either has a design flaw with this device or their servers simply can't keep up with demand. Either way, this long-time Apple customer is not happy right now.

3lionsbecks
Feb 14, 2011, 10:20 PM
I don't say this very often, but it looks like Apple screwed this one up in a big way. Trying to rent a HD movie on my TV for Valentine's Day and we've got a 4+ hour wait to see it. Ridiculous! And yes I've rebooted my TV, Airport Express, and cable modem; moved everything around the room; switched-off "Send data to Apple"; changed my DNS servers three times; and verified that I'm getting a decent D/L speed from my ISP. I've even shut-off my PS3, laptops, and iPhone to ensure that my TV is the only device online. Nothing has worked. Looks like Apple either has a design flaw with this device or their servers simply can't keep up with demand. Either way, this long-time Apple customer is not happy right now.

not sure why that happened to you but I rented The Town tonight in HD and it was read to go in just a few seconds.

Same night and a top 10 movie in HD with no problems. Seems like your ISP was screwing you over.

WelcomeAboard
Feb 15, 2011, 04:00 AM
Got my appleTV2 back in November. Hated the thing because movie rentals took 9hrs+ to start.

After a lot of messing around finally established that it was my ISP that was the problem. PlusNET in the UK, contacted customers services and after a few trial and errors got hold of somebody who knew what they were doing. They identifed that PlusNET had not reconfigured their systems to recognise new AppleTV2, hence by default it was classed as 'file sharing' (due to the large downloads). AppleTV2 has now been recognised by PlusNET and since then my rentals start in seconds for any film at any time! AppleTV bliss.

My advice is get onto your ISP and make sure that they recognise it and do not class it as p2p file sharing.

RedElectro
Feb 16, 2011, 03:57 AM
I bought an ATV two days ago and after singing it's praises to the rest of the house, was left red-faced when we all decided to sit down and watch the HD version "Inception". Loading times varied from 2-3hrs to 10-16hrs on the several attempts I tried to get it to play. In the end we decided to leave it to the following day.

Last night we tried to play the movie again, but got similar loading times (even though it said it had loaded in the iTunes settings) again. After a few attempts I ended up browsing for a solution online (only for a few minutes) when a message popped up on the screen saying that the Movie was ready to play!! I clicked play and we watched the movie flawlessly from start to finish!! What's going on?

Streaming from my other Macs works flawlessly, so I think an interference issue with other equipment would effect this also? YouTube and other online services work perfectly too! I personally think this is a problem with Apple's servers. I'm currently getting 9mbs + internet speed.

laurim
Feb 16, 2011, 12:27 PM
I bought an ATV two days ago and after singing it's praises to the rest of the house, was left red-faced when we all decided to sit down and watch the HD version "Inception". Loading times varied from 2-3hrs to 10-16hrs on the several attempts I tried to get it to play. In the end we decided to leave it to the following day.

Last night we tried to play the movie again, but got similar loading times (even though it said it had loaded in the iTunes settings) again. After a few attempts I ended up browsing for a solution online (only for a few minutes) when a message popped up on the screen saying that the Movie was ready to play!! I clicked play and we watched the movie flawlessly from start to finish!! What's going on?

Streaming from my other Macs works flawlessly, so I think an interference issue with other equipment would effect this also? YouTube and other online services work perfectly too! I personally think this is a problem with Apple's servers. I'm currently getting 9mbs + internet speed.

Your story is exactly why you don't just leave the ATV on the loading screen when it tells you it'll take hours to load. That time estimation is calculated from a sampling of the download rate in one instance of time on one quality of connection. If that particular connection happens to be slow, you'll get a large wait number. If you back out of the movies section and go back in and restart the download, you often get a faster connection and the time estimation is much lower or you're ready to play. I did this trick on new year's and you may have to restart the download a few times before you find that fast connection.

Or you need to reset your modem (unplug/wait a few/plug in). I just had this happen to me last week. I rented HD Case 39. ATV said it would take 2 hrs 44 min, which is very unusual for me. My rentals are usually ready in seconds with cable "up to 12 Mbps" service. I did the back in and out thing first and was getting the same number so I immediately went to speedtest.com on my MBP and saw my current internet speed was less than 1 MBPS. I power cycled my cable modem, retested and it was back up to 12 Mbps. My rental started right away.

Streaming over an internet connection is not a straightforward thing. It's not a single tube that has a set amount of service all of the time for everybody. It's an ever-changing flux of 1s and 0s more like a highway system where some lanes are faster than others, some times of day, some vehicles and some cities are faster than others. It's usually up to us to get the obstacles out of the way to get to what iTunes is serving up.

paulgarb
Feb 16, 2011, 01:06 PM
Your story is exactly why you don't just leave the ATV on the loading screen when it tells you it'll take hours to load. That time estimation is calculated from a sampling of the download rate in one instance of time on one quality of connection. If that particular connection happens to be slow, you'll get a large wait number. If you back out of the movies section and go back in and restart the download, you often get a faster connection and the time estimation is much lower or you're ready to play. I did this trick on new year's and you may have to restart the download a few times before you find that fast connection.

Or you need to reset your modem (unplug/wait a few/plug in). I just had this happen to me last week. I rented HD Case 39. ATV said it would take 2 hrs 44 min, which is very unusual for me. My rentals are usually ready in seconds with cable "up to 12 Mbps" service. I did the back in and out thing first and was getting the same number so I immediately went to speedtest.com on my MBP and saw my current internet speed was less than 1 MBPS. I power cycled my cable modem, retested and it was back up to 12 Mbps. My rental started right away.

Streaming over an internet connection is not a straightforward thing. It's not a single tube that has a set amount of service all of the time for everybody. It's an ever-changing flux of 1s and 0s more like a highway system where some lanes are faster than others, some times of day, some vehicles and some cities are faster than others. It's usually up to us to get the obstacles out of the way to get to what iTunes is serving up.

A fair response but surely it is not the whole story - my network works fine most of the time and power off/on resets are just part of my regular regime as are a factory rest evey 2-3 months. The issue here is surely that the extremely long estimates many people are getting are inaccurate and do not update dynamically and the 'red face' (whether embarrassment or anger) is important.

I love my Apple TV because it performs the function I had in mind when I bought it (streaming my iTunes to the big TV) - but the rentals part really does leave a lot to be desired.

laurim
Feb 16, 2011, 01:24 PM
A fair response but surely it is not the whole story - my network works fine most of the time and power off/on resets are just part of my regular regime as are a factory rest evey 2-3 months. The issue here is surely that the extremely long estimates many people are getting are inaccurate and do not update dynamically and the 'red face' (whether embarrassment or anger) is important.

I love my Apple TV because it performs the function I had in mind when I bought it (streaming my iTunes to the big TV) - but the rentals part really does leave a lot to be desired.

I see this kind of behavior in all sorts of time estimates for activities. I work with video files and have to do a process called "rendering". For some reason, when I render in the codec H.264, the initial completion time is large but at a certain point the bottleneck breaks loose and all of a sudden it's done. I've also done the "stop downloading and restart for a faster download" while downloading files on a computer, especially while using notoriously bad hotel internet service.

I'm no networking expert, but I suspect constantly reassessing network conditions and readjusting the connection would be more of a burden to the streaming process than anyone would like. Netflix streaming constantly evaluates a person's connection and lowers the quality if a person's connection can't handle full quality. Watching on my XBox, this results in an interruption of the movie with a dialog screen while it rebuffers and the interruptions can happen quite often as the connection changes from high to low to high to low quality. Is this what you would like instead? Fortunately, Netflix adjusting on the ATV has been much more invisible for me.

paulgarb
Feb 17, 2011, 12:14 PM
I see this kind of behavior in all sorts of time estimates for activities. I work with video files and have to do a process called "rendering". For some reason, when I render in the codec H.264, the initial completion time is large but at a certain point the bottleneck breaks loose and all of a sudden it's done. I've also done the "stop downloading and restart for a faster download" while downloading files on a computer, especially while using notoriously bad hotel internet service.

I'm no networking expert, but I suspect constantly reassessing network conditions and readjusting the connection would be more of a burden to the streaming process than anyone would like. Netflix streaming constantly evaluates a person's connection and lowers the quality if a person's connection can't handle full quality. Watching on my XBox, this results in an interruption of the movie with a dialog screen while it rebuffers and the interruptions can happen quite often as the connection changes from high to low to high to low quality. Is this what you would like instead? Fortunately, Netflix adjusting on the ATV has been much more invisible for me.

Thanks laurim for the response - two things to get clear - I'm a UK user so Netflix is not an option and I don't tweak during rentals simply because I don't use rentals since I can't be certain of the time to be ready to view.

It is the uncertainty - I've always said that bad information is worse than no information and rental users are consistently fed bad information.

BTW - I suspect the fundamental reason is that the developers have way better broadband than I'll ever get. :D

laurim
Feb 17, 2011, 01:04 PM
Thanks laurim for the response - two things to get clear - I'm a UK user so Netflix is not an option and I don't tweak during rentals simply because I don't use rentals since I can't be certain of the time to be ready to view.

Not sure what you mean here. When I talk about quality being tweaked on the fly, that's automatic, not something we would do. What I DO do during a rental that appears to be slow is all those tricks to get a better connection on my end. If your country's ISP or iTunes server service is bad, there isn't anything you can do except complain to them to change.

It is the uncertainty - I've always said that bad information is worse than no information and rental users are consistently fed bad information.

I do think Apple made a mistake not making it clear what the minimum speed requirements are for HD and SD rentals. I think if they had been upfront about that, people's expectations would have been managed better.

Gaelic2
Mar 22, 2011, 11:47 AM
I watch Netflix immediately with no problems. Everything streams beautifully from my computer. The ONLY problem is renting from Apple. It took 2.5 hours to download a movie witch stopped half way through for another 35 minutes to download the rest. This is totally unacceptable and I will not rent movies from Apple until it is fixed. My download speeds range from 2GPs to 2.5 Gps and does well with anything but Apple movie rentals.

keviha
Mar 22, 2011, 11:56 AM
I watch Netflix immediately with no problems. Everything streams beautifully from my computer. The ONLY problem is renting from Apple. It took 2.5 hours to download a movie witch stopped half way through for another 35 minutes to download the rest. This is totally unacceptable and I will not rent movies from Apple until it is fixed. My download speeds range from 2GPs to 2.5 Gps and does well with anything but Apple movie rentals.

Same exact experience as mine. Also, I have ATV1 and ATV2 hooked up. iTunes movie/tv show purchases through ATV1 begin playing very quickly....just like Netflix on ATV2....but iTunes movies/tv shows rented/purchased through ATV2....can be hours to download. It really is pretty ridiculous.

RedElectro
Mar 22, 2011, 12:39 PM
I just don't understand it. I had the same problem. Tried for three nights to watch a rented movie and gave up each time, until finally it streamed almost immediately! It just seems totally irregular! Sometimes taking hours, sometimes almost instant.

I don't have a problem with broadband speeds or streaming from my own personal itunes library, so it's got to be something to do with the servers?

It needs sorting out, I know that much! ;)

laurim
Mar 22, 2011, 12:58 PM

Where in the world does one get 2.5 Gps speed?? Do you mean 2 Mbps? Based on your time description, sounds more like 2 Mbps. I have 12 Mbps and rentals start almost immediately. 2 Mbps is insufficient speed for renting HD movies.

Gaelic2
Mar 22, 2011, 01:36 PM
Where in the world does one get 2.5 Gps speed?? Do you mean 2 Mbps? Based on your time description, sounds more like 2 Mbps. I have 12 Mbps and rentals start almost immediately. 2 Mbps is insufficient speed for renting HD movies.

Sorry, I quoted the wrong speed. 2.5 GPs would be wonderful! You are correct. I get 2.5 mbps and I have no problem with downloads except for Apple film rentals. It has to be coming from Apple's end. I have only rented 2 films but had exactly the same trouble.Where can you get 12 Mbps and at what price?

laurim
Mar 22, 2011, 01:57 PM
Sorry, I quoted the wrong speed. 2.5 GPs would be wonderful! You are correct. I get 2.5 mbps and I have no problem with downloads except for Apple film rentals. It has to be coming from Apple's end. I have only rented 2 films but had exactly the same trouble.Where can you get 12 Mbps and at what price?

I have cable internet from Comcast. "up to 12 Mbps" is their second lowest service and it costs about $45/mo bundled with cable service. I did speedtest as I was writing and right now I have 16.5 Mbps. Sometimes, I've had 20 and other times I had 4. When I was at 4, my rental didn't start immediately so I power-cycled my modem and got my speed back up so the rental would start immediately.

iTunes is the only service on ATV that doesn't adjust stream quality based on a person's internet service. So, I'm not surprised that you can watch Netflix's throttled stream fine and not iTunes full quality stream on 2 Mbps service. The only thing Apple could do on their end is to change your stream to something less than full quality so your service can handle it at a rate acceptable to you.

dmm219
Mar 22, 2011, 03:58 PM
This is a problem with Apple Servers. Anyone who has an ATV1 has been experiencing this for a long time. It is hit or miss. always has been...its why many of us old farts were very suspicious of a "streaming only" version of ATV...at least on ATV1, you could download and store the night before and have it ready to go perfect when you want it.

Its clearly not the ATV or your ISP if you netflix and streaming work fine (mine are rock solid).

Hopefully, once the NC server farm is up and running, this will be fixed.

laurim
Mar 22, 2011, 04:16 PM
This is a problem with Apple Servers. Anyone who has an ATV1 has been experiencing this for a long time. It is hit or miss. always has been...its why many of us old farts were very suspicious of a "streaming only" version of ATV...at least on ATV1, you could download and store the night before and have it ready to go perfect when you want it.

Its clearly not the ATV or your ISP if you netflix and streaming work fine (mine are rock solid).

Hopefully, once the NC server farm is up and running, this will be fixed.

Traffic on servers can be a general issue during high use times but, bottom line, no number of additional servers is going to make someone with a slow internet connection get streaming 720p HD movies any faster. There is a minimum speed for decent HD streaming and I think 2 Mbps is under that minimum. Someone on here posted a list of connection speeds and how long you should expect to wait for an HD movie rental to start. Like I've said, you can't compare Netflix streaming with iTunes streaming. Totally different methodologies.

What Apple SHOULD do is post the minimum internet speed a person should have so they have the right expectations.

farmboy69
May 21, 2011, 09:17 PM
What the ___ is going on with Apple TV 2? I just replaced one of my Apple TV 1s with a TV 2... and there are several issues.... 1. It's outrageously slow to start streaming from iTunes cloud compared with ATV1. 2. There are a VAST number of shows that are now unavailable - since they were BUY not RENT.

Disappointing this ATV2 is! If someone could explain how to get around the slow streaming - to get it back to where ATV1 was... please please please respond to the thread. Thanks!