PDA

View Full Version : Who's reformatting for Jaguar?

mmmdreg
Aug 26, 2002, 03:24 AM
I will be...

JupiterZen
Aug 26, 2002, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by mmmdreg
I will be...

The kinky Jaguar box sits next to me, and I am not sure. I have read that a fresh install will help to prevent problems, but I would like to know some details about it.

Maybe I'll install it to a second disk.

edesignuk
Aug 26, 2002, 04:16 AM
First of all I did the update, but then I decided that I had so many little OSX.1 tweak appz running that would no longer work under X.2 that it would be better (to keep a more stable system) to just wipe it and do a clean install.

backspinner
Aug 26, 2002, 04:36 AM
I will

Geert
Aug 26, 2002, 04:51 AM
pfff, I hate doing a clean install, although I know it is the best thing to do.
But that means, start copying all files, ... to discs.
Install, and then reinstall all files again.
It'll take weeks before everything is back in place.

I guess most of you know what I talk about. You install the most important stuff again, and from time to time you say, damn where is that app/file again, then you have to look for it on the back up discs you made.
I had the same issue with X.1, I did a complete install, and afterward I found myself days/weeks finding out small stuff that had to be copied again.

But OK, Jag is worth:D

krossfyter
Aug 26, 2002, 08:27 AM
so guys tell me... how do i actually uninstall 10.1??...to do a clean install of jag.

id like some instructions.

King Cobra
Aug 26, 2002, 08:39 AM
>(Geert) It'll take weeks before everything is back in place.

That sounds like an exaggeration.

fyter, if you want to erase everything from your Hard Drive, assuming you've backed up everything, go to the Disk Utility within the 10.2 CD, select the Hard Drive and format it. I recommend HFS+ and one partition, if possible. If you just want to upgrade to 10.2 (may not optimize the computer's performance), just go through the installer step by step and install. Don't worry about partitions/formatting.

I thought 10.2 would be easy enough for anyone to figure out. The Jaguar box comes with directions.

"este vato" :p

krossfyter
Aug 26, 2002, 08:54 AM
Oh okay you can do it straight from the jag cd cool man thanks. i dont have jag with me thats why im asking. I figured it came with instructions but I wasnt sure so for good measure i was asking on here. Thanks though. Im getting jag latter today.

dig it.

Sepulchre
Aug 26, 2002, 12:44 PM
I just installed it as an upgrade, not always the best option but its been running fine for 3 weeks now (ADC).

Try an upgrade installation if you find your having problems then backup all your work and do a clean install.

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Aug 26, 2002, 03:16 PM
Here's my problem....maybe you guys have the answer.

When I bought my iBook, it had both OS 9 and OS X. I have both updated to the current status...except for OS X.2. My question is....can I clean install OS X.2 and still have my OS 9. My reason for keeping OS 9 is because certain applications still are not OS X native. I've heard I could just upgrade it but I also heard that it's better to do the clean install...I want both OS 9.2.2 and OS X.2....is this possible and if so, how can I do it?:confused:

firewire2001
Aug 26, 2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by ShaolinMiddleFinger
Here's my problem....maybe you guys have the answer.

When I bought my iBook, it had both OS 9 and OS X. I have both updated to the current status...except for OS X.2. My question is....can I clean install OS X.2 and still have my OS 9. My reason for keeping OS 9 is because certain applications still are not OS X native. I've heard I could just upgrade it but I also heard that it's better to do the clean install...I want both OS 9.2.2 and OS X.2....is this possible and if so, how can I do it?:confused:

installing 10.2 will not mess with your 9.2.2 unless you decide to reformat your drive..

just doing a clean install wont cause any troubles with 9...have fun with jag!

(w00t! my 600th post!)

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Aug 26, 2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by firewire2001

installing 10.2 will not mess with your 9.2.2 unless you decide to reformat your drive..

just doing a clean install wont cause any troubles with 9...have fun with jag!

(w00t! my 600th post!)

Don't mind my stupidity but I thought you had to reformat your HD in order to do a clean install?

sparkleytone
Aug 26, 2002, 03:36 PM
i just backed up what i wanted and needed to the pc i have sitting in my room collecting dust. hey, its got 100GB of space, might as well use it for something.

as far as the guy with the iBook goes...i would recommend backing up everything you have to an external source. then, partition your drive for an OS 9 and an OS X partition. You should only need like 3GB at most for OS 9. Install 9 on the small partition and then install OS X.

all the threads of yay or nay for partitions, and this is the reason i always partition. I can always use my second partition for backups and such, and my MP3s never get lost. partitions are absolutely great to have.

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Aug 26, 2002, 03:38 PM
How do I partition my drive?

EDIT: Nevermind....I figured it out. Thanks, though.

Backtothemac
Aug 26, 2002, 03:56 PM
I did not, but I am going to. I have decided to go for it after all, not worry about the upgrade CD, and use a full install.

Tis better to be clean that dirty ;)

Well, sometimes its better to be dirty

bousozoku
Aug 26, 2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by ShaolinMiddleFinger

Don't mind my stupidity but I thought you had to reformat your HD in order to do a clean install?

Apple's clean install option has nothing to do with formatting your hard drive. It renames the "System" folder similar to what it did in Mac OS 7.x, 8.x, 9.x.

MacBandit
Aug 26, 2002, 07:56 PM
I would and will on my current computer. I am letting Apple format and install and ship me the whole shebang as one with a new computer.

SilvorX
Aug 26, 2002, 08:01 PM
i wont reformat cuz i dont even have a mac yet, but i'dd probably upgrade (so i wouldnt have to backup...hopefully) if i did have a mac right now

awrc
Aug 26, 2002, 08:27 PM
Reformatting? I bought a whole new drive for it (one of the WD 120GB drives with the 8MB cache) about a month ago, installed it and put a minimal OS X 10.1.5 setup (OS, mail, browser, not much else) on it, and basically just waited for Jaguar.

Saved all the trouble of reinstalling everything twice. I've got it split into a 70MB main partition and a 50MB workspace/scratch disk.

So now I've got the 100MB/8MB WD that used to be in the machine in a Granite FireVue Firewire enclosure and dedicated entirely to iTunes, the old 100MB/2MB WD that was a secondary drive in the machine in an older Firewire enclosure and partitioned purely to provide "clean" boot installs of OS 9 and OS X (as well as backup partitions for my wife and myself), and the 80GB Seagate that actually came in the machine sitting idle (since it really didn't like being in a Firewire enclosure for some reason). It'll probably end up in my Linux everthing-server box if I can establish whether the BIOS'll recognize a drive that large.

cb911
Aug 27, 2002, 06:46 AM
i'll be formating, and partitioning. no wait, i've already installed. so i have formatted and partitioned. & everything seems good so far.:D

Edge100
Aug 27, 2002, 07:31 AM
I'll be doing a wipe-and-install on my iBook but not on my iMac. This is simply because I can backup the iBook's 10GB to the iMac, but I cant back up the iMac's 40GB to the iBook!

The two machines are identically configured (AFAIK) so we'll really be able to see if one method is preferable to another.

tjwett
Aug 27, 2002, 10:51 AM
i'd like to wipe the drive and not even install 9 at all. it's the only way i'll fully commit to X. by force! hey, 300 posts and it's my birthday! yipee!!!

MacUser1
Aug 27, 2002, 12:10 PM
i did an archive and install on my computer. but, soon enough I'm going to get a 40 GB internal HD for my powerbook and just put Jaguar on it, no OS 9!!!! :) :)

JupiterZen
Aug 28, 2002, 01:28 AM
Well, I just went for the wipe and install procedure on my dual 800. Installation went just fine, but while the finder was starting the first time, it gave me a bad crash. With the white letters on black just messing up the nice Aqua ;-(

It rebooted just fine and is working good now, just wondering where that crash came from.

Anybody else have had a similar experience?

J.

mc68k
Aug 28, 2002, 01:33 AM
Reformatting is a must for a new OS, unless you care nothing about your machine.

balliet
Aug 28, 2002, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by awrc
Reformatting? I bought a whole new drive for it (one of the WD 120GB drives with the 8MB cache
I bought two of the 80gb wd's w/ 8mb cache and a raid controller about 2 weeks ago. (I would've gone for the 120s, but by the time I fill up 160, I'll probably have a whole new computer anyway.) I did a clean install of jaguar copied all my stuff back then threw my original Seagate 80gb in another one of my computers and do nightly backups to it. I figured with this raid setup keeping a current backup is a must.

It'll probably end up in my Linux everthing-server box if I can establish whether the BIOS'll recognize a drive that large.
It should't matter what the BIOS sees it as. Linux should be able to see the whole thing. Just make sure the root partition is in the area the BIOS can see.

peterjhill
Aug 28, 2002, 06:31 AM
Already did. I finally got rid of that pesky OS 9 partition that I set up. So now I have one partition and no Classic or OS 9. Pure X for me :D

Unless you have a giant HD, I do not recommend partitioning. It gives you very little advantage over a single partition. None of the advantages have to do with reliability.

mmmdreg
Aug 28, 2002, 06:51 AM
I got Jaguar!!!...however, I didn't reformat like I said...I just HAD to get a firsthand look at this stuff so I just installed the update...I'll probably reformat on the weekend when I can be bothered backing everything up...still, jaguar seems to be very nice so far...I only ran into one problem with the fstab file for mounting my Users partition at /Users instead of /Volumes/users but I fixed that quickly so no matter....