Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IrishTiger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I've got an iMac G4 PowerPC (17in flat screen) that has CD ROM issues. It won't read them, and I know the drive is broken. It also has the standard 80GB hard drive as well. What I want to do is upgrade that hard drive to 500GB, and transfer my entire itunes library to it for my new AppleTV purposes. My MacBook Pro only has a 160gb hard drive (and is completely full - I do plan on having that upgraded soon too, but I need to get the iMac up first), and I think it would be more efficient to have everything on a desktop. But, once I install the HD, I'll need a new CD/DVD drive to install Leopard back on it, and to use it to rip more DVD's that I have to add to my itunes collection.

I've figured out that the hard drive is a SATA 2, and I've found ..... this one....

But I just don't know what CD/DVD drive to buy to replace it with. Can someone help me figure this out? It would be much appreciated! :D

Thanks,

Ryan

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
It uses ATA/100 drives so you need this for example. Other option is to get an external HD and store them there, it will actually be cheaper. Here is 1TB for 125$, it has FW400 which is the fastest you can get (if your iMac has USB 2.0, then USB external is fine too, and cheaper)

As for CD/DVD drive, I would go with external. It's faster and easier. This for example.

IrishTiger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Well my desk space is limited, and I was hoping to keep everything inside the iMac. I have already had the HD replaced once with the factory drive a couple of years ago. This is the drive that came with the computer.

photo-6.jpg
[/IMG]

but again, I'd like to keep the CD/DVD rom internal as well. :D

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
The HD link in my post above is what you need. However, I don't know are there some HD capacity limits.

As for SuperDrive, it looks like you need something like this

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.